7MGE distributor magnetic pickup for MSD

dexterrogers

Slow worker
Jul 25, 2006
Calgary, AB
I've been browsing forums for a few years now and rarely post as all my questions usually have already been answered, but not this one. The set up is an 89 7MGE with weber dcoe's. Ignition is handled by an MSD 6A, Blaster 2 Coil and fixed curve timing computer. The question is does the magnetic pickup in the distributor give a proper signal for the MSD to trigger? from what I've gathered there are 4 wires - "red G1 near TDC cylinder 6" "Light blue Ne crankshaft speed" "yellow G2 near TDC cylinder 1" and "black G- ground I'd think". I've tried to start her with the crankshaft speed wire but the timing light seems to jump all over the place, however this could be due to the MSD 20° of sparking. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to make sure the ignition is functioning properly before I trouble shoot other areas. I'll try to upload a picture but it doesn't seem to be taking it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Why do you want a fixed timing curve, not controlled by Toyota?

The answer to your question of will Toyota signal work with MSD, is with MSD. I have read a comment or two over the years of disastifaction with MSD on the Supra. MSD makes good racing products, but that doesn't mean you need it on a 7MGE.