7mge detonation?

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Hey all. Now that the weather is getting nicer up here, I've been able to drive around with the roof off, windows down and really listen to the 7m run.

I've noticed when I am driving near a curb it reflects the sound really well and I believe I am hearing detonation. I'm familiar with the sound so I'm pretty sure that is what I'm hearing. It's like a random but frequent "ticking" or "clicking" from the engine on semi to high load, part to full throttle.

I haven't checked the timing yet since I replaced the head gasket, so I'm assuming I put the dizzy back in with a little too much advance??? The 7mge has a knock sensor, but how much does the ecu rely on it?

Also I'm running 87 fuel and wondering if I need to run 89 instead? Will have to try that after I check/adjust the timing and find that doesn't help.

One other thing; stock compression on the 7m should 160 if I recall. I tested mine at 180 across the board. I attributed that as a result of the carbon/deposit build up on the combustion chamber of the head and on the tops of the pistons, which I found when I pulled it apart to do the BHG. (I've heard this (deposit build up) can cause slightly higher compression and eventually, detonation as a result). I did clean the head up as well as the pistons before I put the head back on, so I can't see the compression still being affected to that degree.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Car is bone stock and runs great otherwise. Plenty of power and runs very smooth. :icon_bigg

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Could be an exhaust leak.

I have always run prem. since I bought mine new, says too.

You should if you are running a little more timing also, try it and see if the noise goes away.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Personally, I always ran 89 octane and never had any troubles. I don't really see a reason to run 91 on a car with 9.1 compression.. Now if it was boosted, thats a completely different story.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I had just re-welded the flanges before and after the cat because they were rotted and leaking. No leaks now. ;)

Wasn't sure what fuel they are supposed to run on (87 or 89). I'm not running 91 because it's not necessary. The compression isn't THAT high...lol. It's not severe pinging, if at all. I need to go drive in a tunnel, give it the beans and listen again. On my drive home yesterday I didn't really hear it. I'm wondering if I'm just paranoid and hearing the tin-can like resonation from the stock exhaust system... hmmm *scratches head*

Crank pulley is tight. Thanks for the input/suggestions guys. :)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
My dad actually put 87 in my car at one time. Ran just fine. Everyone always says GEs have high compression.. but I would still consider it a low compression engine. 9.1:1 is NOT that high.

Hell, I was about to boost my N/A, but lack of high octane fuel (e85) around my area changed my mind. And the option to have Turbo pistons.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I'm going to check the timing first, then try changing fuel. If the timing was just a little too advanced, no point in changing to more expensive fuel.

The compression was 180 before I changed th BHG, and I believe it was a result of all the built-up deposits on the head and pistons, which I cleaned off. So compression *should* be back down around 160-170...