7MGE consuming oil, any advise?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
This has been the issue i have been noticing with this car ever since i got it i believe, but i thought the head gasket job would do the trick, guess not. After an oil change I would usually drive a week or two about 85-90 miles a week, and when i check the oil in the morning, the level went from the FULL mark, to almost above the lowest crosshatch mark on the dipstick, there are no signs of leaking under the car, nor the ground at least. The oil and coolant do not look like the mix at all especially since i have done a head gasket job a few months ago, the car only has the light white smoke at startup doesnt look like any burning oil exhaust fumes and color, where could all that oil be going? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
modmonster2008;1664895 said:
since i have done a head gasket job a few months ago, the car only has the light white smoke at startup doesnt look like any burning oil exhaust fumes and color,

Typical sign of bad valve seals, and I would bet, that if someone followed you, it is puffing a little smoke when ever you let off the throttle suddenly, or engine brake.
It may not be enough to see in the rear view, but someone behind you may see it.

Did you put in new valve seals when you had the head off ?

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
That much oil burning in only about 90 miles is pretty bad it seems. Save up a couple/few hundred and take the head off and have a shop redo the valve stems and then put it back together with a new HG. Even though you've done the HG already, it's a pretty good bet that it's the stems, like stated above. If you burn somewhere around 1 qt every 1.5 weeks or so, at $4 a quart, the new valve stem job will pay out in a little under two years (or it could get worse). But if you are planing on replacing the engine within that time, then don't worry about it.

In any case, I would make sure exactly when you are burning oil - like previously mentioned, have a buddy drive behind you and look for white smoke under different conditions. If it's only at start up / deceleration, then it might just be the stems. If it's also under acceleration, then it might be your piston rings as well.

How many miles do you have on the supra? Have you ever done a compression test?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Do not use stop leak. Its snake oil.

Valve stem seals. Have to do a valve job when machining to get those replaced unless you do them yourself.

Try letting the car warm up more before you start driving it. Like above the cold line at least. Used to have to do that with my old n/a after one of the rear exhaust ones went.