7MGE air intake help

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks guys, Instead of heat wrapping the alloy pipe what about my idea of HPC coating? it is heat resistant up to well over 400 degrees could this be an option to prevent it warming up?

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Exactly. Again, you are wasting your money on pod filters etc. The exhaust manifold is nowhere near the AFM and the hot air is blown back away from it and the intake when the car is moving.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Put your hand on the thing after a drive and tell me how long you can hold it. If you read the thread more carefully you would know that the OP bought the car with a poorly installed pod filter on the intake and is looking to make it right.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
jetjock;1870497 said:
It's a GE...

Great observation. ;)

3p141592654;1870583 said:
Put your hand on the thing after a drive and tell me how long you can hold it. If you read the thread more carefully you would know that the OP bought the car with a poorly installed pod filter on the intake and is looking to make it right.

^Exactly. That is why I heat wrapped my intake pipe. After a short drive I couldn't even touch the pipe for a few seconds. After wrapping the pipe, I could grab the underside and it was warm at best.

To those who keep saying "it's just a GE" "it's not worth it" "why bother?"; Not all of us have turbos and money but we still enjoy our cars, enjoy working on them and making improvements, even small ones. Seriously, what does it matter to you? lol

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Typhoon;1870571 said:
Exactly. Again, you are wasting your money on pod filters etc. The exhaust manifold is nowhere near the AFM and the hot air is blown back away from it and the intake when the car is moving.

This doesn't really have anything to do with what I am wanting to achieve, read the first post

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
3p141592654;1870583 said:

Thank you for making this more clear for Typhoon

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
MPR;1870605 said:
^Exactly. That is why I heat wrapped my intake pipe. After a short drive I couldn't even touch the pipe for a few seconds. After wrapping the pipe, I could grab the underside and it was warm at best.

To those who keep saying "it's just a GE" "it's not worth it" "why bother?"; Not all of us have turbos and money but we still enjoy our cars, enjoy working on them and making improvements, even small ones. Seriously, what does it matter to you? lol

EXACTLY. All I need is someone with experience to tell me the exact and proper way of re building this as the PREVIOUS OWNER installed a very bad system (CHECK POST ONE)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Some IAT data I took on my way home today (although it is a GTE they both have AFMs in the same place). Its a 15 minute drive and ambient temp was 25C. By the time I was home my IAT was 40C (as measured by the ECU at the AFM). That's 104F for those who like Fahrenheit. Just a 15 minute drive in the evening and half of it on the freeway, A/C was off.

5 min after start

Image1.jpg

15 minutes later

Image2.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
ryansmith;1870632 said:
Yes it is?

You should fix the filter but the point was anything beyond that is basically money down the toilet. Nor would I be taking advice from someone who runs an open filter on an NA engine just to hear it suck more than it already does. It's your cash though...

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
It will not only clean my engine bay up and make air flow better than it currently is but will let me know it has been done properly, any other options that may help me out it appretiated

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
jetjock;1870706 said:
You should fix the filter but the point was anything beyond that is basically money down the toilet. Nor would I be taking advice from someone who runs an open filter on an NA engine just to hear it suck more than it already does. It's your cash though...

Again, I only opened the front of the air box leaving the rest to continue to act as a heat shield. It cost me nothing and I get the satisfaction of hearing the nice 7M more when I step on it (sorry if I like to hear my engine a little more than the average person...lol). No, that did nothing to help performance or lower IAT's, but it was something I wanted to do with my car. What's it to you? Has nothing to do with my knowledge base either.

To help lower IAT's I replaced the factory intake resonator (which is only there to make the engine quiet) and which used to get very hot, and replaced it with a heat wrapped aluminum pipe. That did make an improvement, even if it was a small one, and cost me next to nothing. Money down the toilet? Maybe to you, that's fine.

The OP asked for opinions/suggestions. I gave mine. What he chooses to do with his car is his choice. Glad you at least agree with that. :)

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
well for starters......1. if your here saying get a turbo, go ahead and GTFO cuz this is GE section aint to T in GE.

2. i live in ohio so cant say for anyone else but my cone filter doesnt nor my AFM get hot what so ever the supra engine bays are stupid big for Japanese makes but MPR is dead right on the intake to throttle body cuz that shit gets hella hot. so for a good intake get a cone filter some 3 inch metal tubing, heat wrap and if you want to get a lilttle more hp just run a cold air like mine.

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
Well actually you cant really buy any other type of intake that doesnt go over the head to the exhaust side. Its where toyota has there hidden torque technology lol but yeah it does help alot just needs to be cooler

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
127814606985.jpg