7mge ACIS system questions

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
acis.jpg

Please excuse the crudety of the image. It is not a scan, but it should be. That is a very brief overview of the theory. It has been explained many times before, but one more won't hurt anything.

In short, the valve manipulates airflow to increase low end torque of the engine. The valve is spring loaded open, and vacuum supplied closes it to increase low end torque.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
So the resonator doesn't do anything bad, have only heard that a little good...maybe.
But what does the box before it do? The one the filter is ''wrapped'' in ?
And do I understand right, when I feel a little increase in performance at 4k rpm, something's wrong?? cause I feel it...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The higher the rpm, the more horsepower the engine is converting. There is not a jump in the torque, such as some of the variable lift engines. Your car should get faster as the RPM climbs. If you feel a big boost at 4000 RPM, then you should check to see you are getting the signal, or that the solenoid isn't frozen.

The box the filter is wrapped in? How about hold the air filter in place. It is also designed to quiet down intake rumble. This isn't a Camaro.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Are we talking about codes or what? Sorry, I don't know much about the engine :) Links to appropriate sites?

So the resonator and box are only for sounddeadening, basically?. Thanks.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
No. The air cleaner assembly, aka air box, holds the air filter. Its design also is to muffle the induction noises. The resonator is there just to muffle the noises. With out an air cleaner, you would get dirt in the engine.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
But back to ACIS. Methods to check whether everything runs ok (If I get the ''kick in'')? I mean, maybe I'm running rich or smt, cause the gases smell weird (maybe it's because my muffler has huge hole in it??)

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Exactly what I couldn't understand, what signal, and what's a solenoid :) Sry, TSRM's good idea

Edit : Fun part is, I can't find anything in TSRM, as always. Can anyone please say more specifically where to look?

Last edited:

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
CRE said:
Also make sure the vaccuum sources in the TB aren't clogged up with oil and grime.

Easiest way to clean out the passages is just get a can of Carb cleaner from any store, it's about $2. Just unplug each vaccum hose from throttle body and spay in the hole for about 1-2 sec per hole, make sure u use the little extension dealio they come with to get it in the hole, then check your vaccum hoses, then you'll be Golden!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Got to ride my car today, and it was actually fine :) In first gear, I couldn't feel any kick @4k. Buuut... This isn't a big problem, but still. Is it normal, that after cold start, the car like kicks in at 3k rpm? That happens only the first time, like it wakes up after first time over 3k rpm.
Thanks!

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
ValgeKotkas said:
Got to ride my car today, and it was actually fine :) In first gear, I couldn't feel any kick @4k. Buuut... This isn't a big problem, but still. Is it normal, that after cold start, the car like kicks in at 3k rpm? That happens only the first time, like it wakes up after first time over 3k rpm.
Thanks!

that's normal, it's an old car and nothing will fix the moderate cold start drivability problems. The prboblems your having would be referred to moderate stumble and surging, and i know 3 other 7mge guys with the same problems. You have nothing to worry about.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A-model_ said:
IS there any type of rubber gasket that seal the two banks of the manifold?

Yes, there is a gasket between each segment of the intake... or at least there's supposed to be.

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
I was thinking of (AIC) adding some additional injectors for 1/2 NA-t but it seems that valve area would be too happy about that.

moonpie33

Jun 23, 2008
castroville
so this is the dang problem im having
i guess vacume lines really do make a dfifference
gonna reroute everything like the tsrm says and see how she runs
any body else have this problem

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
moonpie33;1395705 said:
so this is the dang problem im having
i guess vacume lines really do make a dfifference
gonna reroute everything like the tsrm says and see how she runs
any body else have this problem

Yeah. Another thing that helps is to make 100% sure ur caming timing is dead on 0. Made a huge difference in high rpm for me. Well I didn't time the engine correctly and it wasn't running like it's was supposed to. I had it put in time and it pulled alot harder at high rpm. It used to die out at 5k+ but after timing it, it pulls until rev limit. Anyway yeah if ur vaccum lines aren't routed correctly, the engine is not going to run correctly. Simple as that.