7M with DIS-4 Plus (2-step + Step retard)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
With all the 2-step talk lately, I figured I'd make a video of one that's been working for me.

I used to have a DIS-4 digital, which was great for launching at vacuum. The only problem I had with it, was I wasn't able to run the step retard with a switch.

Now with the DIS-4 Plus, I can run both the 2-step and step retard from a 12V switch, making it a "make-shift" anti-lag.

I'm going to experiment some more with different timing corrections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSjJMmcpzI

I'll have to get a video of it launching, there's just no safe place to do it around at the moment.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Definitely sounds mean. Had a chance to launch it yet?

I had no idea you could run the DIS-4 system with a stock 7m ecu. Still wastefire?

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
Looks like it is definitely still waste fire ignition, but he has gm style coil packs on there, msd versions though. I'm thinking about changing to gm coils as well, doesn't look too hard.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
WhtMa71;1310989 said:
Definitely sounds mean. Had a chance to launch it yet?

I had no idea you could run the DIS-4 system with a stock 7m ecu. Still wastefire?
I've launched it before without the step retard, and it was pretty good. I haven't been able to launch with this new box yet.

supra90mkiii;1310990 said:
Looks like it is definitely still waste fire ignition, but he has gm style coil packs on there, msd versions though. I'm thinking about changing to gm coils as well, doesn't look too hard.

Yup, still WS. The coils are MSD #8224 with the accessory coil interface module adapters for easy installation.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
now try pulling some more timing .. When I ran that setup I found the sweet spot was about 16.. it will come up on boost much quicker

Jason

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Thanks!

I'll definitely try more timing, Jason.
IIRC, I had it set at 19 degrees on accident before, and it was a TERRIBLY loud back fire :).

Spiked my boost gauge.
Maybe when I see the car this weekend I'll mess around some more.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Awesome idea Brent! so your running the 10 degree nitrous retard along with the 2-step?!?! Is that the box i sold you?

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
TheNewRed;1321570 said:
Awesome idea Brent! so your running the 10 degree nitrous retard along with the 2-step?!?! Is that the box i sold you?

Yes, my 3rd DIS4. :)

There is still no adjustment noticed past 3000rpm with ignition retard, but will need to further experiment with it.

I tried this weekend, but the car didn't launch that well with 16° retard + 3,000rpm making 13psi.

:dunno:

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
TheNewRed;1324281 said:
I wouldnt imagine it would on street tires lol. time to get some slicks?

Have slicks.

The problem is the timing retard doesn't seem to have any effect after 3,000RPM.

I used to just launch at 5,500RPM with just the 2Step and it hooked great. I'll mess with it more this weekend I guess.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
you need to set the rpm higher for it to work properly try it at 5k and see what happens ..
just a side note , make sure the retard is turning off and not staying ACTIVATED!!

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Tun_x;1326127 said:
you need to set the rpm higher for it to work properly try it at 5k and see what happens ..
just a side note , make sure the retard is turning off and not staying ACTIVATED!!

Yeah, that's what I had it set at previously.
Now the timing retard is at 16 degrees, and I set the 2step at 5,000. I'll try it later when I drive.

The 12v turns on the rev limit + step retard together, so when one is off they both are.