7m turbo or 1jz

Sassan

May 31, 2010
Rialto, California, United States
ok so i have a 87 non turbo supra. and the engine is now dead! im trying to figure out what engine should i go wit next either another 7m or 7m turbo or the 1j swap. my ? is wat is the cost of installing a 7m turbo vr a 1j? please anyone who have done the swap info is really needed.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
You live in California, so the 1JZ idea is out if your car is gonna spend time anywhere besides your garage and the track.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
The 1JZ was never available in any vehicle stateside. You'd have a helluva time proving otherwise to your smog cops.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'd say 1J of course, but the reality of that in Cali seems to be a tough one from all I've read on the issue.

a U.S. 2J would be a nice option, but they're not exactly common AFAIK and expensive.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It's near impossible to smog a 1JZ in California, and impossible to do it legally. It had everything to do with your first post because you had yet to mention what your intentions were with the car. Basic cali swap rules: engine must come from a usdm car (with all emissions equipment) that's of the same or newer model year as your car. You can get away with a jdm 2JZ if you bolt on the usdm emissions equipment. I'd go with a 7mgte (if it's not rebuilt plan to do that), since it' bolt-in and has potential. To hell with all the rules if you're only gonna track it.

- from my Archos 5 IT

Edit:
Sassan;1592008 said:
im not really worried bout the smog or anything else. i just tryig to figure out wat the cost is i was thinking 2j swap but from wat i hear it REALLY COSTLY. so i thought just stick with the 1j

Yea, 2j would cost a lot more than the other two. I'd see the 1jz and the 7mgte as costing about the same to swap in. The 1JZ will need harness work to reach the ecu though. Remember to rebuild if you get either.

Edit 2: Btw, the 1JZ weighs only around 50 lbs less than the 7mgte. Other factors to weigh in, the 1jz will rev higher, but at 280bhp the 7m will have more torque. Hope this helps, and good luck on your choice.

Last edited:

Sassan

May 31, 2010
with the 7mgte does it have better potential than the 1jz for say? i mean idc bout the smog and all that stuff. there are always ways to get the car smoged. my main concern is if the 1jz worth the money for the swap. i will track the car now and then. but it would be my dd also.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Here's my Educated Opinion.

I'd go with a 1JZ if you were looking for a good around town motor, it also has more advanced electronics and lubrication system than the 7M. (that is if you can find a good 1JZ. :()

7M is a good motor with some $$ thrown at it. (Maintenance and repairs.)

2JZ out the box is the best choice out of all them power and aftermarket potential wise.

I've driven (hard) and worked on all three, and each motor puts a smile on my face.

All turbo. ;)

Where in Cali are you?

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Sassan;1592008 said:
im not really worried bout the smog or anything else. i just tryig to figure out wat the cost is i was thinking 2j swap but from wat i hear it REALLY COSTLY. so i thought just stick with the 1j

at the end of you 1j swap, youd have spent the same amount of money if you had gone 2j

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I miss my 7m for the sound, but I don't miss the headaches it gave me. Was a great motor to drive though, that sound is undeniably sexy. The 1j though, has served me much better as a DD motor, stock bottom end, same type of mods as the 7m (downpipe/exhaust), with cams and a bit of head porting to the cam profile, the 1j is a MEAN motor. If you're looking to drift though, I'd go 1j/2j. Better oiling system IMO, which is kinda important in something that you're repeatedly abusing...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Build a good 7MGE and turbocharge it with stand alone. Have the head ported professionaly, install larger cams and dial them in, and a stout short block around 9.5:1 compression ratio. Then a T04E based blower around 15-18 psi.

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
Just save and go 2jz... The 1jz in my 260z is just crazy but im only 2400lbs. The mk3 is a heavy so the 2jz is the best choice of the three.. how about 2jzge/t?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
at WOT, the 1J is just fine and the same with cruising.. the difference is when the car is starting from a dead stop.

The 1J could definitely use some more low end power out of boost (I say out of boost because unless you want/need crazy power, the 1J is there with the right turbo setup)

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Pretty much all the same mods that you would have to do to get a 1jz in there. If I were you I would go 2jzgte and go single turbo. That way you don't have to beat in your fire wall.

Sassan

May 31, 2010
well thats the plan no point in going from a na 7m to a na 2j. i wanna get the 2jzgte. i mean i got pretty good connects so ill prob get nice prices on all my stuff n cause i work for Hyundai i get dealer discounts on all parts too so i wonder wat ill be looking at for price for all this? o yeah does anyone know wat ecu i would use cause i heard the na 7m ecu works or i use the complete 2j ecu so yeah?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I'm thinking upwards of 6000. To go single. Buy the complete swap that comes with the harness, ecu, igniter. Send the harness from the 7m and the harness from the 2jz to get mated. Trust me it is a pain in the ass to do all that yourself. It cost about $700 to mate the two harnesses. I don't think the discount will help you get most of the parts you need.