7M swap into 4Runner, Exhaust thoughts?

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
I'm currently swapping a 7MGE into my 1986 4Runner. I know that I'm going to need to fabricate my exhaust system, being that the exhaust manifold on the 7MGE and 22RE are on opposite sides of the motors. . . I currently live in South Dakota where there are zero emission standards. EVERYONE uses straight pipes out here. . . BUT, I'm going to be moving to Utah, and possibly farther West in the future. So I'm assuming that I'm going to need to pass emission standards somewhere down the line. I haven't seen a 7M's exhaust line-up in person. . .

My question(s):

How close/far does the catalytic converter need to be to the exhaust manifold? What is a good pipe diameter to keep in order to maintain good back-pressure? I'm pretty set on NOT using aftermarket headers/performance parts, because I've heard that the stock manifolds were supposedly "Header'd Out". . . I've also heard that I will always have problems with fitment. . I don't have a downpipe currently and am in search of one. I've only seen aftermarket, "INCREASE YOUR HORSEPOWER" kind of products as well. . . I do like a "throaty" sound from my exhaust, but I'm much more concerned with the efficiency/reliability aspect of it all.

Thanks,

Greg

SRZMK3

the catalytic converter is usually about 3 feet back from the exhaust manifold with a 7mge na the best piping size to get would be around 2 inches to 2 1/4 inches. get an exhaust manifold kit from obx, the downpipe is adjustable at first, when you find the proper length you want you just weld it in place.

http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servlet/the-600/OBX-Silver-Exhaust-Headers/Detail

these headers did very well on my car i took them off because i wanted my car to be quieter but with them on the 7mge really lets out a roar

http://www.youtube.com/user/SRZsmack?feature=mhee#p/u/4/bngPMS2AE6E

end of this video you can hear what my car sounded like with obx header on. im only recommending this header because of how adjustable it is.., but there is a problem of how far the tracking stick out of the head with them on, i hope you have room. the exhaust usually cuts across the bottom of the car in a like 15 degree angle to the left side with one bend to make the muffler straight i think the manifold already has the angle set, but do whatever you want.I put a decent resonator before the muffler because without one it tends to sound pretty... (ricey?) the max i would go on a stock head NA 7mge would be 2 1/2 but id stay safe with a 2 1/4 because you dont want to lose too much back pressure. go to your favorite muffler shop and get a custom exhaust put on of your choice after the cat i dont know how the bottom of those trucks look so dont take my word for how its supposed to look i only know what it does stock..

on that kit theres an egr hose thing that comes off the back of the downpipe, just find your favotire piec of steel plating and silicone and bolt a plate onto it, i think that was used on american cressidas... there is no 02 sensor bung on it, i would put it at the bottom of the two collectors it should work fine there, thats where i put mine and it never threw a code at me. the cat bolts on right at the end of the downpipe.

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
Thanks for the info! I've run into the problem of this project going WAY over budget. . That's also my concern with going for headers. I'd love to see what the stock manifold does. . I have heard 2" and 2 1/4" before, but I wasn't certain. I think you gave me some great insight. I'm curious if I can get a setup like that, but with just the downpipe? I only ever see downpipes for the 7MGTE, and never the 7MGE. . Your Supra looked/sounded pretty awesome! The music was pretty great as well! Hope you expand on that!

Thanks,

Greg

SRZMK3

suprunner;1781406 said:
\ Your Supra looked/sounded pretty awesome! The music was pretty great as well! Hope you expand on that!

Thanks,

Greg

rofl thanks for liking my music.. yeah i expanded on it but im not expecting too much you should check the newer vid to see what it looks like nowdays!!

yeh... its the nature of the 7m engine to constantly take your money, but realize the better parts you buy the more reliable the engine will be.