7M stroker build

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Last few days was busy with multiple small, and not so small things.
I removed compressor housing to measure compressor wheel. To my surprise it is 80mm wheel, not 78mm I ordered. In 2009 Turbonetics discontinued T78, so they sent me 80mm turbo, 1200hp :icon_bigg.

Installed Craig Davis el. water pump into the lower radiator hose. It is ~2kg lighter then my previous Meziere and flows more. I cut off mechanical water pump housing from timing belt cover.

Rerouted heater bypass hose (I have no heater) to upper radiator hose. Should have to improve coolant flow through the rear part of the cylinder head

Prepared flange to pressure test Wilson overpressure valve - even with fully tightened springs it doesn't hold even 0.5bar pressure. It is N/A engines valve, though it is listed on their site for boosted applications. I have to find stiffer springs to make it work

Turned upside down intercooler, my friend fabricator modified inlet tank. Now IC pipes will be very short

mibrum

Mibrum Racing Team
Spool comes with heat and that is the problem that you will face less heat less spool plus you will need to advance too much the engine on low RPM...
I run my 7M with a standard crank and I have around 1300hp @ 9800rpm too much torque and you with a stroker you should have a better top end....
My GT4788 have starts at 5500rpm and raise up very fast.....
In my opinion I would shorten the exhaust manifold.
Gary
mk3ukr;1400195 said:
I want motor to be more torquey on the street without launch control :icon_bigg .
My worry is loss of heat through too long runners

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Gary, some blown V8 motors run 3-4inch long headers. OK, there are advantages and disadvantages here - long headers separate cylinders when one is in exhaust stroke, another in valve overlap stage. Heat loss can be bad issue, maybe I have to put second layer of insulation tape on my manifold :biglaugh:
Anyway, on this stage I want to try this setup as it is and see if I like it.
By the way, how is your friend in Malta, does he really drive his mk3 on the street with glide and Y2K 88mm turbo? I saw your post on Supraforums, this guy runs 9sec.

Today got the motor running. Used old AEM file, only changed injectors size, added 7% fuel to main fuel map and crank time table to compensate for increased displacement. Reduce ignition timing to compensate for longer stroke/faster piston speed. Now engine is almost completely untuned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4b4VPvFyVs

Ticking sound is noise of injectors, my Cometic gasket set came without injector insulators and grommets, I used old ones. Need to order new from Toyota.
Motor now on mineral 15w50 oil, I brought it once to operating temperature, don't want it to idle anymore. When car will be ready (on Wednesday) I take it out to make few hard pulls, then change oil and filter
Things left to do:
Exhaust system to finish, now motor is with open downpipe
Cold air intake, I asked my friend to fabricate very light plastic pipe, filter will be under the headlight cover
Fiberglass doors to finish, they are painted now, all internals will be transferred from stock doors

mibrum

Mibrum Racing Team
Yes my friend still running with it on the road with the powerglide and Y2K88....he is hoping that in the November event he will run under 9sec runs....I think with your set up you can easily run 9sec runs......Believe me 7M is a powerdull engine as well and when you have the right things in the right engine you will see results.....
Rich from SIP helps me a lot on getting the right parts for my engine....
Gary
mk3ukr;1400607 said:
Gary, some blown V8 motors run 3-4inch long headers. OK, there are advantages and disadvantages here - long headers separate cylinders when one is in exhaust stroke, another in valve overlap stage. Heat loss can be bad issue, maybe I have to put second layer of insulation tape on my manifold :biglaugh:
Anyway, on this stage I want to try this setup as it is and see if I like it.
By the way, how is your friend in Malta, does he really drive his mk3 on the street with glide and Y2K 88mm turbo? I saw your post on Supraforums, this guy runs 9sec.

Today got the motor running. Used old AEM file, only changed injectors size, added 7% fuel to main fuel map and crank time table to compensate for increased displacement. Reduce ignition timing to compensate for longer stroke/faster piston speed. Now engine is almost completely untuned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4b4VPvFyVs

Ticking sound is noise of injectors, my Cometic gasket set came without injector insulators and grommets, I used old ones. Need to order new from Toyota.
Motor now on mineral 15w50 oil, I brought it once to operating temperature, don't want it to idle anymore. When car will be ready (on Wednesday) I take it out to make few hard pulls, then change oil and filter
Things left to do:
Exhaust system to finish, now motor is with open downpipe
Cold air intake, I asked my friend to fabricate very light plastic pipe, filter will be under the headlight cover
Fiberglass doors to finish, they are painted now, all internals will be transferred from stock doors

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
mibrum;1400969 said:
Yes my friend still running with it on the road with the powerglide and Y2K88....he is hoping that in the November event he will run under 9sec runs....I think with your set up you can easily run 9sec runs......Believe me 7M is a powerdull engine as well and when you have the right things in the right engine you will see results.....
Rich from SIP helps me a lot on getting the right parts for my engine....
Gary

Rich also helped me a lot in choosing parts.
Gary, can you give more details about your friend's mk3. Does he have stock rear end, what ratio. I was also thinking going Powerglide, but too many people adviced not to do it if car will be street driven. I ordered th350 with optional 2.70 first gear, more fun on the street.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
funky_monkey58;1401069 said:
When you get a chance to dyno this beast I want to see the graphs.

Of the three strokers yours is the first I have seen run.

Why? There are at least 3 or 4 more known stroked 7M, all are running.
It's a pity Defiant 101mm stroker project slowed down.

mibrum

Mibrum Racing Team
Hi,
He have a Strange 9 inch ratio to be honest I do not know it.
Yes in my opinion the 3 speed auto is better when you have loger roads here in Malta all roads are very very short.

Gary
mk3ukr;1401169 said:
Rich also helped me a lot in choosing parts.
Gary, can you give more details about your friend's mk3. Does he have stock rear end, what ratio. I was also thinking going Powerglide, but too many people adviced not to do it if car will be street driven. I ordered th350 with optional 2.70 first gear, more fun on the street.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Today went to Toyota dealer and bought insulators and grommets for fuel injectors. Then changed them, this terrible ticking noise gone.

Fiberglass doors painted and installed. I kept central lock, power window motor gone, it is in manual crank mode now :icon_bigg
It's weight now 18kg, I estimate ~20 kg when door skin and wiring added. Weight of the OEM door 32kg

Last edited:

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
mk3ukr;1401982 said:
Today went to Toyota dealer and bought insulators and grommets for fuel injectors. Then changed them, this terrible ticking noise gone.

Fiberglass doors painted and installed. I kept central lock, power window motor gone, it is in manual crank mode now :icon_bigg
It's weight now 18kg, I estimate ~20 kg when door skin and wiring added. Weight of the OEM door 31kg

Where did you get the fiberglass doors from..? How much do they weigh..? And i thought paint doesnt stick that good to fiberglass....? sooo many questions... :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
dubsupra209;1402017 said:
Where did you get the fiberglass doors from..? How much do they weigh..? And i thought paint doesnt stick that good to fiberglass....? sooo many questions... :biglaugh:

Yeah ALL Vettes are raw fibreglass with no paint cos of this........ :nono: <sarc>

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
dubsupra209;1402017 said:

I gave the weight. Doors made locally. My first intention was to keep doors matt black and swap only when I go to drag strip, but I am afraid all the threads will be screwed after changing all these things back and forth
Today took the car for ~2-3 miles ride. It is still with open downpipe, my friend promised to finish my exhaust in next 2 days.
Motor is untuned and very loud, I revved it without stepping up on the throttle to 4K rpm, didn't see any boost, 0 bar on the gauge :icon_bigg
After returning back to the box drained oil and changed filter