7m stock intake

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
for a second there i thought it was me being picky... guess not!

back on topic:
a maft-pro used with a 3" maf can be had for $300 or so if you look around!

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Stock piping is more restrictive, replacing with a larger and smoother pipe will give power gains, though minimal.

Losing the resonator will result in power loss, though minimal.

Minimal power gain - minimal power loss = ....

I DID have numbers from somewhere, not for the 7m though, the intake upgrade does net more power, but you guessed it!....minimal :)

Lincoln Tech Guy: yes the 7mge does use vane flow metering in their afm. Maf generally use hot wire system.

Also by your logic, MAP sensors are a type of AFM.

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
so just to confirm: the best option is to leave the resonator, remove the accordion pipe and replace with something smooth, and replace the filter with aftermarket cone... right?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Changing the filter's worthless if it draws in air from the engine bay... it MUST get air from outside of the engine bay or it will be a worse performance hit than anything else listed here... I've measured the temp differences and they're very big. Honestly, the stock filter isn't bad either... it has more surface area for air to pass through than most cone filters and the 7M-GE doesn't move nearly enough air for it or the stock air box to pose a restriction.... what DOES matter is what filter (media) you use... a cheap FRAM paper filter is cheap for a reason. ;)

If you're looking for solutions which will add power (well, just free it up really) then:

1) keep the stock airbox and use a GOOD filter (I don't think Toyota's are paper, are they?) OR install a GOOD aftermarket filter such as the Apex'i Power Intake filter, and either build a closed box for it with a snorkel to pull air from the same spot as the stock airbox or add some pipe and place the filter under the passenger headlight (harder to maintain)

2) replace the accordian hose with a smooth silicone hose or pipe with couplers

3) leave the resonator...

and, 4) if you want to go baller but go a *little* easy on the bank, install a MAFT Gen II with a 3" or 2.75" if available (NOT a 3.5") GM MAF and forgo the wideband and tuning (you should have a couple dyno runs done after install to ensure that everything's sound, but no tuning should be needed for a straight translation to MAF).

All of this work will net you some throttle response improvement and NO measurable HP gain.... but it's a good place to start learning and experimenting (I did).

EDIT: Where in CO you at? SW Denver here.

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
CRE;1423342 said:
EDIT: Where in CO you at? SW Denver here.

I'm up north in longmont currently,

I really appreciate the advice. I have put on a K&N because the Apexi I bought was turbo only... unless there's a way to adapt over, anyways and i'm looking for more ways to loosen up the flow. I am working on coming up with an air box that fits and helps keep the cold air coming!

again thanks for the detailed write-up that helps a ton!

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
supraphoenix;1425572 said:
I'm up north in longmont currently,

I really appreciate the advice. I have put on a K&N because the Apexi I bought was turbo only... unless there's a way to adapt over, anyways and i'm looking for more ways to loosen up the flow. I am working on coming up with an air box that fits and helps keep the cold air coming!

again thanks for the detailed write-up that helps a ton!

For the 7M-GE you want the Apex'i that's made for the SW20 MR2. Comes with an adapter for the VAF.

What did you pay for the filter you've got? I think the SW20 kit runs $130 or so.

Edit: while we're on the subject, could someone give me the dimensions for the Apex'i filter? Just diameter at the widest point and the length not including the mount... I need to replace mine but it's tucked away under my headlight. ;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Last edited:

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
CRE;1426685 said:
For the 7M-GE you want the Apex'i that's made for the SW20 MR2. Comes with an adapter for the VAF.

What did you pay for the filter you've got? I think the SW20 kit runs $130 or so.

Edit: while we're on the subject, could someone give me the dimensions for the Apex'i filter? Just diameter at the widest point and the length not including the mount... I need to replace mine but it's tucked away under my headlight. ;)

Damn I could have used that info about 3 months ago before I got the wrong one :3d_frown: but alas...

I will grab my filter hopefully tomorrow and get you the measurements off the one for the gte. oh and i paid 130 shipped so I guess i'll have to be happy even though it is just K&N :3d_frown:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
supraphoenix;1427503 said:
Damn I could have used that info about 3 months ago before I got the wrong one :3d_frown: but alas...

Well, you should have asked me then... right? ;)

It's a common enough error. You could check ebay for a suitable adapter. Otherwise I'd just sell it and buy the right one.

supraphoenix;1427503 said:
I will grab my filter hopefully tomorrow and get you the measurements off the one for the gte. oh and i paid 130 shipped so I guess i'll have to be happy even though it is just K&N :3d_frown:

K&N??? Eh? Get the Apex'i, as yu seem to already know, it's MUCH better.

That'd be great if yu could get me those measurements... TIA!

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
CRE;1426685 said:

The dimensions are six inches at the widest part and its a little bit more than 4 inches long. Like 4 1/4 inches.