7m sputtering

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Hey guys, I have a weird problem with my supra. After it gets to operating temp, it gets an occasional bout of sputtering and loss of power. The condition only occurs when cruising, never on acceleration or deceleration. I just checked the codes and I'm getting the constant blink "all is fine" from the check engine light. Additionally, my car has been seeming to run slightly richer lately and getting worse gas milage, along with idling at 1000rpm instead of its normal 700-800rpm. Any Ideas? Thanks!

engine info:
jdm 7mge with between 30,000-50,000 miles. intake, injectors, sensors, accesories, ecu, etc all from origional engine with 170,000 miles.

Ian

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Update! finally got it to give me a code 51 seems like tps, any advice? new tps is really pricey, any way to clean mine?

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Ok I figured it out and it is my TPS. Parts store peeps are telling me an 86.5 tps is different from a 87 tps, Is that true? Or can I use any pre 89 tps? Already checked the cressida tps cause I had one on hand, the mechanism is 90 degrees off from the supra tps so it's a no go. I really would rather not go to the stealership seeing as the parts stores are already quoting me 100+ for the house brands. Its a flipping rheostat in a plastic case! why so expensive?!?

suprafreak65

Sep 18, 2009
florida
yeah mines acting the same way. I found out it was the tps. was going to post that but you got it!

I never heard of the 86.5 tps being different from the 87. but I could be wrong. 89+ are different I know Cuz I've been there.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
suprafreak65;1892877 said:
yeah mines acting the same way. I found out it was the tps. was going to post that but you got it!

I never heard of the 86.5 tps being different from the 87. but I could be wrong. 89+ are different I know Cuz I've been there.

Might take a shot at it cause it could just be a different part number. I'll probably order the orilliey's unit and i'll post pics when I get it.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
The only differences are non Turbo and Turbo. Non Turbo tps sensors are 90* off from the Turbo ones.

Currently running a 88 TPS in my 90 supra (which has a 91+ ECU and harness)

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Backlash2032;1893034 said:
The only differences are non Turbo and Turbo. Non Turbo tps sensors are 90* off from the Turbo ones.

Currently running a 88 TPS in my 90 supra (which has a 91+ ECU and harness)

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Thanks Good to know. It's probably just toyota changing parts numbers over the years ha ha.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
So bad news, TPS replaced and adjusted as per FSM and the problem still exists. To recap, the car experiences occasional bouts of sputtering and loss of power lasting anywhere from a split second to several minutes. When it's not sputtering, the idle is high at around 1100-1300 rpm. the idle is in the normal 700-800 range when it is sputtering. The engine is a jdm 7mge with all the original supra components swapped over. Now that the tps is replaced i get no codes. Any Ideas?

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
UPDATE: Cylinder 2 is only firing intermittently. The ignition system has been ruled out as the culprit leaving the injector or compression to be the issue. Any advice would be awesome thanks.

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
Take a look at your distributor. I was experiencing the same symptoms. For one, my adjisting bolt loosened up, but secondly there was oil/grime on the contacts under the rotor. Luckily I had purchased a new one a while back. Popped it in, and no more problems.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Well After a long week of searching, I discovered that the PO broke a clip on one of the engine harness plugs at the ecu and it had worked its way loose. -_- no idea why the broken tps wasn't affecting anything, but at least now it's fixed too