7M or 2JZ.. what to do.

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
I have an 87' N/A Targa 5spd that I'd like to put well above 400whp and I'm debating on which powerplant will be more cost effective.

I have the inside track to an 88' Turbo 5 spd car to use as a donor complete with a very low mileage JDM 7M-GTE. But from what I'm reading to get to my power goal reliably I'll need to do some internal work and either some major electronics upgrades or just bite the bullet and go SAEMS. I'm not afraid of either prospect and have more than a little experience with tuning aftermarket EMS. But...

I'm getting the impression that going to 2JZ with a single turbo can achieve my power goal without bottom end or headgasket upgrades and allow me to use factory EMS with a bit of tuning.

I'd like some input on relative costs of both upgrade paths from anyone who has experience getting over 400 whp.

Thanx in advance.

bmk3

MK3 owner goin 1JZ ftw
Feb 14, 2009
Garland,TX
just stick with the 7m , for the same amout of money u spent on goin 1/2j u can build a reliable 7m piston,head job,bigger turbo,etc...

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
bmk3;1484744 said:
just stick with the 7m , for the same amout of money u spent on goin 1/2j u can build a reliable 7m piston,head job,bigger turbo,etc...

He's right for that power goals the 7m will achieve that horsepower goal... no problem and the money spent for getting the "start up" conversion parts like BIC brackets(~150), wiring conversion(~450), Flywheel (~150) ,and 1jz bellhousing (~300) just to swap out the basics. You're already at 1050 and those prices are finding it used or great hook ups. Not saying you can't save money here or there but just saying. Now take that 1050 and you can get a mild rebuild, new metal headgasket and still have some bucks left over.

My first 7m build with a mild port n polish with a valve job/titan MHG, new Toyota parts at a slight discount i was at the 1350 mark without the port n polish i was right at a grand. just to give you an idea, am sure members have done it for less.

Anyways, i went the 2jzge route and really both the 7m and 2jz ge/gte all make great power. For the money spent going the 2jzge route compared to keeping my 7m. I'd have just as quick of a car and i'd actually would of saved some money with the 7m. Also you can make the 7m reliable just that not a lot of members don't want to spend the proper money to get them there.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
That is a choice you will have to make. A 2jz will do that with bolt ons, and a 7m will do that with a few more mods. I would expect that both ways (done right) would cost about the same. What are your overall power goals, I doubt you will be staying at that power level forever.

Bomberillo

Banned
Nov 14, 2008
Lynwood
2jz hands down. It will be an engine with probably less miles and younger than the 7m. If you can do the entire rebuild of the 7m by yourself, than it would probably be cheaper to go 7m.However, be advised that if you do go 7m it has little to no margin for error. Meaning if you are not to familiar with engine building your probably going to fuck it up. But if you can do the entire rebuild than you can do the swap aswell and the 2jz is a hell of a machine. It is very reliable and at 400hp its barely breaking a sweat. I always say when doing something, aim for overkill.

Just my .02

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
AwJeezNotthisCrapAgain.jpg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Well above 400whp is very vague. Figure out what you want and then people can help you out. Sub 500whp the 7m is great, much cheaper, and makes the power fine. Above that you might start thinking about building the block, so then the $$ factor comes into play and the price difference between the 7m and jz start to even out.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
2JZ
Reliability, more readily available new parts.
I see more GS,SC300s in the junk yard now then supras or cressidas combined.
Also it is more relaible because when pushing a 7M to nearly 200% of its power you have to poor money into it.

A JZs leap to 400 is a bolton walk in the park(125%).

As far as needing a crap load of parts you can buy the original aluminum JZ motor mounts for a supra for 60-80 but will have the mounts for the weaker round mounts read into it you dont always need the bic mounts also you can get an automatic 2JZ aristo complete engine for as little as 1600 all day long "http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-SUPRA-2JZGTE-ENGINE-AUTO-TRANS-ECU-WIRING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaa231e4fQQitemZ200422923855QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories".
Tell me you can do a complete rebuild on a 7M for that.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ugh....

if u have a big wallet = 2jz
if u do not and want a challenge = 7m

Last edited:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've been down the road with both the 7M and the 2JZ now and my biggest advice regardless of which route you choose is.

Do it right, do it right without cutting corners or be sure that you'll be doing it again, for sure. Regardless of which motor you choose.

If you cut corners at any point, you'll be coming back to that point again, be certain of it. Or even worse starting well before that point in recovery mode.

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
I knew it was a loaded question when I posted it. But sometimes a loaded question gets the best range of opinions.

Thanks to everyone who made an honest attempt at answering. For the record I'm leaning toward 2JZ.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
:umno:

v-8 anyone? i got a UZ cheaper than what i sold my 7m for. :naughty: twin turbo v-8