7m head. Machine asembeld or not?

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Just as it reads. Getting ready to go to the shop. So do I need to reassemble the head for machining. The block, crank, rods and pistons are all going. Just not clear if I should send valves and springs. Guides and valves are good, will just lap them before assembly. muzy :icon_bigg

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Muzy;1265268 said:
Just as it reads. Getting ready to go to the shop. So do I need to reassemble the head for machining. The block, crank, rods and pistons are all going. Just not clear if I should send valves and springs. Guides and valves are good, will just lap them before assembly. muzy :icon_bigg

disassemble regardless of valve machining. the only way to allow for proper cleaning.

since you may have to pay labor to assemble/disassemble the valvetrain anyways, you really should consider having a valve job done.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Tire Shredder;1265285 said:
disassemble regardless of valve machining. the only way to allow for proper cleaning.

since you may have to pay labor to assemble/disassemble the valvetrain anyways, you really should consider having a valve job done.
Maby I was not clear enough. The head looks new. valves and seats
are good, guides are good. Am preparing surfaces for MHG. Dose the head
have to be assembled to perform this task. EI- do the springs distort the
surface enough to warrant doing this procedure assembled? Muzy

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im not really sure exactly what ur asking, but just because you think the head looks new, doesnt mean its in good condition. i would just give your machinist everything to inspect it to see what needs to get done.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
suprarich;1266710 said:
The springs will not distort the head to the point of needing them for laping.
Thanxs suprarich. The surface that mates to the block is what my concern was.(decking) But I will check with machenest first. Muzy

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
I had it done with VALVES IN, and cams out. Just a light skim for the same reason. No problems.

I would RECOMMEND the diassembly, but I KNOW for a FACT it can be done without.

My shop did a stellar job of cleaning as well, and then pressure tested the valve seats, as well.

G/L!

-crisp

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Only concern I'd have doing it assembled is the Oil port to the Cams, I'd fill it with heavy grease before they started cutting then blow it out from the Cam side when done.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Ok Thanx everybody, its disassembled and will remain that way till after resurface. Unless shop wants otherwise. I could have just asked machinist but I do value the answers I receive here. As the quality of workmanship I've seen instills confidence. (and helps save a few pennies) :icon_bigg Muzy