7m head build.

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I wanna beef up the head alil and do a mild mild job. I have a few questions i guess about whats good. I know Ferrea are amazing, but what are ppl opinions on BC valves, Ferrea Springs, BC cam?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Replacing valves is not mild, its quite invasive(talking about oversize valves, here). For a mild build, do a nice 3 or 5 angle valve job with stock valves then do a little mild porting work. Get good springs and retainers. Uness you're aiming above 500hp, your money is better spent elsewhere rather than cams/big valves/aggressive porting work.

by the way, this is my personal opinion based off of my experiences. You may have better results, but keep in mind having an end goal will help greatly during the descision process!

The numbers you see below in my sig are on 272's, a 67mm turbo, stock valves and head, and E-85. The head in its stock form is very capable, but when you get up there in power, then its time to start upping the ante and getting the setup really effecient to squeeze every last drop outta the engine!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Then in my opinion, you should leave it stock. The stock bottom end won't stay together at the power level where you'll see benefit from modding the head. Go with the Comp Cams BBC springs if the head's off, otherwise leave it together. Save that money for the engine you plan on making big power with :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If you want to do that stuff that would be fine, but you're looking at $2000 MINUMUM for an engine you will eventually abandon. Like I said before, not worh the money if you're not sticking with the 7M.

Last time I'll say it- save your money and leave the 7M stock. Use said saved money to buy a better/more complete 2J swap and get better components for the swap/go single/whatever

Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck and hope you make the power you want to!

topekamk3

Nov 4, 2011
Topeka, KS
Keep in mind for the 2j your talking 6-8k for a motor you know NOTHING about...Unless you have a friend you are buying the motor from.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If you have a reputable place, it's not a problem. Most places have a warranty period. You buy all the parts you need except the motor. Buy the motor last, drop it in and start it up. You don't need intercooler piping or anything like to to just start it and make sure it runs fine.

If there is a problem, you will still be in the warranty period. A local place would be good as you won't have to deal with shipping but a lot of places cover that in the warranty.