7M-GTE oil press

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
It was at that half way line at 2500-3000. On the way home today i'll hold it at 4k for a moment to see if it goes up.
Thanks again for the help!

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Talked to the previous owner of the engine i'm running and he said the oil pump is "high volume/low pressure." Thinking that he put in an aftermarket pump I was wondering why anyone would put that in. Then he said it's the original pump and the 7m comes stock with a hvlp pump.
Is this true for the 7m
I'ts not dropping under 10 lbs but it's not going over 25-30 lbs. Even at 3-4k rpms.
Any thoughts on this
Sorry i'm at work and don't have spare time to search and confirm or disregard this info myself.

At least it holds 20lbs at 2500rpms so I can get to and from work.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
It's not getting up to spec still, changing the oil pump will not affect what "spec" is supposed to be. The only way spec would change is if you changed the entire oiling system, which I don't even think that's possible. If it's not getting 36psi @ 3k rpm, your pressure is too low for spec regardless of whatever pump may be there. Have you confirmed the pressure with a mechanical gauge? That's what I would be checking at this point, and if that shows low, you're are running the risk of ruining your engine by running it.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Kai;1744896 said:
I thought IJ debunked the "high volume, low pressure" argument already? You should be seeing 10psi per 1000rpm until around 36-38psi unless it's got very worn bearings, a leak, or not enough oil in the syste.

He did, I was trying to find the post to reference it, but my search skills are failing me.

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Thank you guys very much! I need to get a mechanical guage on this asap.
There are no oil leaks that I can detect.
I had not heard of it being referred to as a high volume low pressure pump. That sounds funky to me actually.
I'll try a little more oil in the system right now to see what happens.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You dont need tons of pressure. You need lots of flow tho. The bearings of the engine the crank doesnt actually ride on them. The crank rides on a thin film of oil. You need some pressure to keep the crank off the bearings but you also needs lots of oil flow to keep the oil moving. The oil also has to make its way up to the head and travel from the front of the cams to the back. And the turbo.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Holy fuck. I'm so tired of these oil pressure threads. My stock gauge shows nearly zero and has for nearly 4 years at idle. It's fucking fine. 11 psi, driven hard, DAILY, 15K MILES A YEAR. The stock gauges are worthless for determining engine health.

Get a mechanical gauge and get an actual pressure reading. until then this is all a waste of time.

The 7m uses less pressure than a lot of engines so people freak out when they see the shitty stock gauge or an equally shitty aftermarket one read nearly zero at idle and only 30 at 4k rpm.

I repeat, a stock gauge reading nearly zero at idle is perfectly fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
suprarx7nut;1745065 said:
Get a mechanical gauge and get an actual pressure reading. until then this is all a waste of time.

Out of that whole post, this is the biggest part you should have taken from it ;).

Amstaff

Jun 19, 2010
Umeå
Mine´s good then :)

Goes from 0.3bar idle to 1bar x 1000rpm up to 5 bar = 72psi

8L oil Castrol sport edge (5w-40) and oilrelocation (AN10) with 0.7L oilfilter and 23row oilcooler.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Holy fuck. I'm so tired of these oil pressure threads. My stock gauge shows nearly zero and has for nearly 4 years at idle. It's fucking fine. 11 psi, driven hard, DAILY, 15K MILES A YEAR. The stock gauges are worthless for determining engine heal

The 7m uses less pressure than a lot of engines so people freak out when they see the shitty stock gauge or an equally shitty aftermarket one read nearly zero at idle and only 30 at 4k rpm.

THANK you!!!!! This is a bs post.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
JStoked;1745907 said:
Holy fuck. I'm so tired of these oil pressure threads. My stock gauge shows nearly zero and has for nearly 4 years at idle. It's fucking fine. 11 psi, driven hard, DAILY, 15K MILES A YEAR. The stock gauges are worthless for determining engine heal

THANK you!!!!! This is a bs post.

Lol, mine or his?

Main point again: oil pressure readings from stock gauge are for a base reference only. A good test gauge is needed for any diagnostic info or to indicate whether your engine is in trouble.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
suprarx7nut;1746158 said:
Lol, mine or his?

Main point again: oil pressure readings from stock gauge are for a base reference only. A good test gauge is needed for any diagnostic info or to indicate whether your engine is in trouble.

His man.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
suprarx7nut;1746158 said:
oil pressure readings from stock gauge are for a base reference only. A good test gauge is needed for any diagnostic info or to indicate whether your engine is in trouble.

+2
my stock guage always read 40psi cold idle and 20 hot idle
hooked up my electric autometer
now its 40 cold idle and 4-5ish hot idle
2,500 hot its 25psi and goes up from there 10psi every 1,000rpms
im also running 10w40 castrol gtx (cause 160xxx miles on original motor)with almost 3,000 miles on oil change

i was a bit worried to when i hooked my autometer up and found my pressure was low
but the search button saved my wallet lol
FOR NOW!!!

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
My stock gauge seems to decide when it want's to work. Sometimes it reads 0 the entire drive. Sometimes it actually registers some pressure. I've always attributed it to bad wiring since its so old. Should I be worried at all? I've had no problems out of the engine in 7 months of hard driving since I bought it. Use Castrol Edge 10w30 oil.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
i would either diagnos your issue(which would be pointless since the gauge lies to you anyways)
or just invest 60 dollars in a electric autometer gauge with sending unit
you will have to shell out a few bucks for a npt tap

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Definitely not urgent, but you may want to make a priority next time you have a spare $100 to spend on the car.

Think of it as the check engine light going out. It wont cause any problems and it's only there to notify you of a rare problem. Getting a decent gauge is worthwhile and should be an eye-opening experience once you can compare to the stock gauge. :)