7M-GTE oil press

Gestler

May 23, 2011
Prag/Czech Republic
Hello. I want to apologize in advance for my English.

I have a small problem with the 7M-GTE. I know him very well, I have a MKIII for ten years and already I've made many. Unfortunately, I have a problem with this. The engine has a new crank shaft, all bearings (clevite) a new oil pump (original Toyota). The oil pressure cold engine idle is approximately 3 bar, 1.5 bar hot idle. In addition to spraying the piston is all new. Should anyone advice for me? Thank you in advance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1.5 bar is 21 psi.

Stock spec is 4.3psi at hot idle and at 3000 you should have at least 36psi. Stock gauge wont always tell you what you actually have tho.

Gestler

May 23, 2011
Prag/Czech Republic
OK, but the previous engine oil pump pressure to do a cold idle 4Bar + for two-year-old old bearings and other components. Generally I have such an experience that, after such repair is complete the oil pressure on cold idle around 1200rpm, almost 5bar. Thank you for your advice, so it is probably about the limit but I was pretty upset. 7M-GTE engine has already been repaired so maybe more than thirty pieces, nor do they behave so. I have always tried multiple dashboard to rule out the possibility of error cabin pressure gauges. Thanks again for your reply.

Gestler

May 23, 2011
Prag/Czech Republic
The crankshaft is new, new Clevite bearings. Crankshaft I duly ordered the block and carefully inspected before assembly. I'm pretty sure I did not overlook anything. Connecting rods are new - Pauter

Gestler

May 23, 2011
Prag/Czech Republic
Oh, I get it. Not that everything is okay. Moreover, this setup I have proven many times. Clevite bearings I use for almost 5 years and all I did 7M on them work well. And here I am sure that the gapes (clearences) are fine. Even I change the oil filter for the other to prevent their failure, then I have to remove the engine and check the oil pump. That I wanted to avoid but I think I have no other choice. Thanks for your advice.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Why are you using such thick oil? Especially without knowing your clearances?

Stock clearances should have 30w oil. More pressure is NOT a better oil system.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Gestler

May 23, 2011
Prag/Czech Republic
Liqui Moly 10W60 works well in all 7M which I did. But I like to hear other people's experiences. What other oil available in the Czech Republic would you recommend?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Unless you're modifying the oil system I don't see ant reason why you would run such a heavy oil. By modify, I don't mean shimming the pump, I mean using wider bearing clearances and somehow widening the oil path.

Pennzoil platinum 5w30, even 10w30, or any other quality synthetic will be great. Not sure what brands you have though.

More pressure is not a good thing. If anything, I'd say your hurting your engine with oil that thick. You'd have to run extra hot for that oil to flow similar to a stock spec oil and get to all the appropriate places within the engine.

The oil pressure indicated on your oil gauge is pressure right after the filter, before the oil is anywhere near where it needs to be. This shows you how much resistance to flow you have. The pressure that matters is what the bearings see. Thicker oil means you're losing more pressure before the oil gets to the places it needs to be, like bearings.

Don't assume the gauged oil pressure is what your bearings see.

That's just my 0.02. I may be a young fool, so check my logic and make your own conclusions. ;)

Gestler

May 23, 2011
Prag/Czech Republic
The logic is flawless. However, this is the Czech Republic. Impossible now, waiting for miracles. Our workshop ever since I work there (more than 10 years) using Castrol oil, when I started, it was a good oil. Engines that use it long term, they were dismantling a nice, clean. Today, when I will discuss the current gasoline engine which works with Castrol (Magnatec 10W40), 100,000 km, it is massacre. In various places the motor is a kind of mud, I do not know how to better describe the English, probably all know what it was. The oil is burned. Rolls in the block engines have grooves. The oil pump is very worn inside. Our country is known for her affair with the poor sales of gasoline even the most reputable brands such as Shell. It's really very hard to get really good quality oil. I'm sure you're a young fool, I agree with your logic ... but not us, or certain physical laws. (not to take literally)

Liqui Moly 10W40 try this one with a lower viscosity oil, which I believe.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sludge comes from not changing oil. The oil breaks down and if you dont change it it turns into sludge.

You could have the best oil ever made but if you never change it eventually its going to turn into sludge and the motor will eventually blow.

Im sure your climate cannot be much different from where we are at. 5w30 is plenty fine. the cold viscosity of the 5w will allow the oil to get to the bearings faster than the 10 on cold starts. And the 30 is perfect for normal everyday driving.

A 60 is only needed if your car only sees the track and is at non stop high rpms for hours at a time. IF this is a street car you wouldnt need more than a 30w in most cases, Could even use a 5w40. Ditch the 10w60 and uses a 5w or 0w30 or 40.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Use 10-30, 5-30 or 0-30 for street driven stock motors. Only up the viscosity if you have a modified lubrication system or a dying motor on its last limb that you need to limp home...

Race oils are for racing not street sprints. If you're not on a road course doing hot laps a 60w oil should be nowhere near your 7m.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
At what rpm?

Ypu want at least 10psi for every 1k of rpm. So at 3k you should have atleast 30-40psi.

Stock hot idle is 4.3 psi.