7M-GTE Heads: Polyquad v.s. Oversized Intake Valves

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
So in my Advanced Theory of High Performance Heads class we have one final project; to write a small review about a forum discussion that has to do with increasing the performance of the head(s) of the engine. We were originally told we could only use SpeedTalk but since I'm the only person in my class who likes anything other than small block chevrolets my instructor said that I could use you guys here at SupraMania. I also figured this information could benefit me in the future when I start my 7M-GTE build. So here's my question for you guys:

With many heads that use 4 valve combustion chambers a popular modification is a Polyquad set up. This is when you oversize one of the intake valves and the exhaust valve diagonally across from it. The purpose is to allow increased flow of air through the intake valve and better removal of exhaust gases in the combustion chamber. They also help to increase the "swirl" effect in the air flow for the intake side. The reason you only do one of each is to help with any clearance issues so none of the valves can hit each other and cause damage to each other.

Some people say it is better to just simply increase the intake valves and leave the exhaust valves alone. Or is it possible to increase all 4 of the valves without causing damage to the head by hitting the water jacket or having valves contact each other?

What would be the best option for the 7M-GTE head? What are some of your personal experiences with anything like this? Has anyone ever put the heads on a dry flow bench to find what CFM they flow with each of these set ups?

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
It is helpful but unfortunately no one mentions doing any Polyquad valve setups :( That's the one thing I'm extremely curious about with these heads. But other than that it has some great info that I can use. Thanks!
Now one question I have about that page is "are the 2jz valves oversized compared to the 7m and if so by how much?"

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Oh wow. I know you can get 1mm oversized valves for 7m's but that's a 1.6mm oversize. Hmmm might try that. Now I'm just going to have to find out what kind of seats they used.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Dont forget that that the 2JZ has a bore of 86mm vs the 7M's of 83mm. That allows the larger sized valves to to be used. Might be able to use a single oversized valve on ex. and in. But I believe considerable massaging of the combustion chamber would be needed.

The whole ployquad idea is to improve the low end torqe of a 4 valve head. Good for a big N/A V8 that isnt going to rev. But for a turbocharged motor like the 7M you want the best flow into the motor when the turbo enters its effency range. This is better served by oversized valves than the ployquad idea if headwork is to be preformed. On a 7MGE I can see some merit to the polyquad. Buy for the cost of the headwork you might as well just turbo the motor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
head1.jpg

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Just goes to show you, my instructor has pounded that into our heads because it is a constant problem on v8 heads. But THESE! it would take some special talent to hit water.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I would just need to find somewhere to get oversized seats for it.
Dumb question: Couldn't a guy do a Polyquad with 2jz intake, 1mm over intake, .5mm over exhaust and stock exhaust? Or is that just getting too crazy haha

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
What IJ is saying is that the issue isn't valves touching each other it's the cylinder wall so to speak, that is the issue. You go much bigger and you start moving the edge of the valve outside of the bore, which means the valve can't open. As a thought exercise you could take the bore out to it's maximum size and then be able to run a little bigger valve, but for what. All that work and you get some low end torque, and not as much potential in the top end.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
So your best option is going to be boring and honing the cylinder bore to avoid running out of room and running .5 or 1 over on all valves to increase flow in and out of the chamber.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
+1 is fine once you unshroud the Combustion chamber walls, you can't bore a 7M enough to make a difference due to the close cylinder spacing of the Siamese bores.

Any of the gains you might make taking everything to the maximum come at a cost, turn the boost up 1 psi and you're there without the headaches.