7M-GE to 2JZ-GE Possible?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
My friend has a LEXUS SC300 with a 2jz-ge vvti and i was gonna just buy it from him for really cheap and drop it in my 89' na supra. Also i'm not going to be using the automatic. I'm going to use my W-58 and possible SPEC clutch kit? Also there r some features i wasn't sure about like the TCS which is controlled on the intake by a butterfly which im guessing has sensors on the wheels to sense tire slippage. I'de like to disable it or possible be able to use it? It wouldn't help in the snow would it? If anyone knows how to swap this in whats required to get it done?

Last edited:

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
You can do this, but it will be alot of work for only a 25hp gain.

You will need an oil pan change, different bellhousing/flywheel, etc. I'm not sure about using the 7MGE electronics, since there is no distributor on the VVTI. If you get the harness and ECU, etc, it will be easier.

If you change your mind, I'm actually looking for an IS300 VVTI motor for a different project, if you want to sell it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The VVTi IS300 2JZ-GE actually has about 215 hp, the 7MGE has 200..

unless you're planning on building up the internals, and turboing it afterward, it's not worth it at all...

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I'm just looking for a cheap swap since i'll be getting the engine, ecu, and wire harness for a very very reasonable price. My 7m-ge at the moment has a bad crank. I could spend like atleast $500 to get it fixed or just get an upgraded version of the 7m. 2JZ-GE. So i could use the 7m oil pan? Also i'll have to find a 2j to w-58 bellhousing? and what kind of flywheel? 2jz-ge/ gte flywheel? r the ge and gte flywheels the same? I planned on just using all the ecu electronics from the Lexus SC300 wireharness/ ecu etc... Am i correct? is there anything else? I personally like the GE engines, and i like the 2jz-ge vvti alot too so i'm looking for tons of power. The 2jz-ge has 150k and runs great.. no oil burning or knocking or anything.. it's in fine condition.. Its kind of alot of miles though.. i'll clean it up before i drop it in but i just love how the 2jz's look.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
RazoE;1172207 said:
The VVTi IS300 2JZ-GE actually has about 215 hp, the 7MGE has 200..

unless you're planning on building up the internals, and turboing it afterward, it's not worth it at all...

***Sorry i meant lexus sc300... is there any difference?

225hp@5900rpm
214lb/ft@3500rpm

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
chris89;1172453 said:
I'm just looking for a cheap swap since i'll be getting the engine, ecu, and wire harness for a very very reasonable price. My 7m-ge at the moment has a bad crank. I could spend like atleast $500 to get it fixed or just get an upgraded version of the 7m. 2JZ-GE. So i could use the 7m oil pan? Also i'll have to find a 2j to w-58 bellhousing? and what kind of flywheel? 2jz-ge/ gte flywheel? r the ge and gte flywheels the same? I planned on just using all the ecu electronics from the Lexus SC300 wireharness/ ecu etc... Am i correct? is there anything else? I personally like the GE engines, and i like the 2jz-ge vvti alot too so i'm looking for tons of power. The 2jz-ge has 150k and runs great.. no oil burning or knocking or anything.. it's in fine condition.. Its kind of alot of miles though.. i'll clean it up before i drop it in but i just love how the 2jz's look.

It'd be easier to swap a non-vvti 2JZ-GE in. SC300's and NA Supras with the 2JZ-GE's were available with a W58, so you'd have to get a bell housing off one of those. As for the rest, I don't know.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris89;1171765 said:
My friend has a LEXUS SC300 with a 2jz-ge vvti and i was gonna just buy it from him for really cheap and drop it in my 89' na supra. Also i'm not going to be using the automatic. I'm going to use my W-58 and possible SPEC clutch kit? Also there r some features i wasn't sure about like the TCS which is controlled on the intake by a butterfly which im guessing has sensors on the wheels to sense tire slippage. I'de like to disable it or possible be able to use it? It wouldn't help in the snow would it? If anyone knows how to swap this in whats required to get it done?

Do you have a problem with the 7M now? Awful lot of headaches and problems to switch to the 2jz-ge for very little gain.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
AJ'S 88NA;1173112 said:
Do you have a problem with the 7M now? Awful lot of headaches and problems to switch to the 2jz-ge for very little gain.

yes, its going to be cheaper for me to run a 2j than spend about $1000 on a new crank kit, installation and all new fluids etc etc when im getting the 2jz-ge for a really reasonable price. What's required?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
AJ'S 88NA;1173112 said:

I thought it was confirmed in another thread that other than the transmission setup and the motor mounts, it is an almost direct swap? (I'm talking non VVTI here though)

I think the 2JZGE swap is a brilliant idea if you've got a damaged 7MGE, but can't afford to go the whole hog on a Turbo motor - You have an ideal base to make a truck load of power for not a lot of money.

If I gave two shits about my shell (I.E, if it were Black in colour) that's the route I'd be going :).

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
DonS1mpson;1173387 said:
I thought it was confirmed in another thread that other than the transmission setup and the motor mounts, it is an almost direct swap? (I'm talking non VVTI here though)

I think the 2JZGE swap is a brilliant idea if you've got a damaged 7MGE, but can't afford to go the whole hog on a Turbo motor - You have an ideal base to make a truck load of power for not a lot of money.

If I gave two shits about my shell (I.E, if it were Black in colour) that's the route I'd be going :).

yeah i really like the vvti since it makes torque at a really low rpm compared the 7m-ge. Also i wonder if the 2jz-ge vvti is more rev happy than the 7m-ge? Also would the 2jz-ge be more rev happy with gte cams? Do the 7mge engine mounts work with the 2j? also what about running power steering hoses and a/c hoses? do they have to be made custom? How would i go about using a manual transmission with an ecu that was designed for an automatic? This 2jz-ge has 150k on it if i remember correctly but it still runs strong and it sounds really cool with the ACIS + VVTI... Could anyone possibly put in the right direction on a thread of someone doing a swap like this?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
chris89;1173945 said:
Could anyone possibly put in the right direction on a thread of someone doing a swap like this?

Don't people do swaps such as 7MGE/7MGTE ---> 2JZGE + NA-T? I'm pretty sure you could find answers in threads like that, referring to motor mounts and all that other stuff. I noticed that you have a habit of not putting any effort into searching for your answers, whether they could be found in google or this forum. The answers are there, you've just got to look for them. Try looking in the "Other Engine" section, but don't neglect other sections either (such as General Discussion). You can find information on 2JZ swaps, and information that has to do with transmission type swaps as well (you can find information to answer your Auto ECU + Manual Transmission question).

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
chris89;1173945 said:
yeah i really like the vvti since it makes torque at a really low rpm compared the 7m-ge. Also i wonder if the 2jz-ge vvti is more rev happy than the 7m-ge? Also would the 2jz-ge be more rev happy with gte cams? Do the 7mge engine mounts work with the 2j? also what about running power steering hoses and a/c hoses? do they have to be made custom? How would i go about using a manual transmission with an ecu that was designed for an automatic? This 2jz-ge has 150k on it if i remember correctly but it still runs strong and it sounds really cool with the ACIS + VVTI... Could anyone possibly put in the right direction on a thread of someone doing a swap like this?

Do yourself a favour and forget the VVTI engine. Your mate might have one on hand and it could be cheap, but the sheer ballache of getting it to run is simply not worth. A standard 2JZGE isn't exactly expensive or difficult to come by, they apparently make more power, have stronger and are pretty much plug and play on the wiring side of things in a NA MK3.

If you're not going to consider using a non VVTi motor, forget the idea completely.

This sticky should also help you out:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63998