7M-GE Ticking noise, just starting to get louder

ToyotaSupra

Shawn
Dec 12, 2009
Fond du Lac
when i rev to about 2,000 rpm it gets loud then quiet's down above 3,000, sounds like its coming from the valve covers. all my plugs n wires are tight, @_@ what do i need to buy?!

ToyotaSupra

Shawn
Dec 12, 2009
Fond du Lac
yea i was thinking valves, it ticked like,,, when i would start it since i had it, but now Just today it started tickin at like 2-3k and its to the point where its annoying,,,,,,,,,, now should i buy new valves or should i "adjust them" i dunno how to adjust em :/

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
My car did that when it had rod knock. Also try posting questions like this in the General MKIII Section.

Pull one wire at a time when the motor is making the noise and see if it goes away or lessens.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Once you get the valve covers off youll notice that under the camshaft, on top of all of the valve buckets, there are "pucks". The adjustment you are looking for, is the clearance between the camshaft and the "puck" and/or "Shim", while off the camshaft lobe.

This is the TSRM for adjustment. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=8

The only place id get shims from is toyota, and theyre not cheep (aprox $12 each, which seems like allot when you pick up 24, or more)

If you have to adjust more that two shims on either camshaft, i think its easier to measure, remove cam, and replace needed shims.

Good luck, this job is a pain, but it gets easier with every job you do. (like most)

All of this assuming that the original issue is valve adjustment.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
its pretty hard to believe its just valves. they don't usually get louder out of nowhere. ill bet money that you got rk and the bearing is eating itself alive.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
may sound stupid but check your oil level? this noise happened to me while driving and sometimes even idling it has a knock type noise, and when i checked oil the next morning it was way below the crosshatch =O

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nosechunks;1584494 said:
My car did that when it had rod knock. Also try posting questions like this in the General MKIII Section.

Pull one wire at a time when the motor is making the noise and see if it goes away or lessens.
Safer to pull an injector clip at a time ;)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
True, but i was trying to stay basic. Plus those old hardened injector clips can be a pain in the ass, And if he has friends around when he gets shocked it would be funny too. :biglaugh:

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
Nosechunks;1584807 said:
True, but i was trying to stay basic. Plus those old hardened injector clips can be a pain in the ass, And if he has friends around when he gets shocked it would be funny too. :biglaugh:

lol. my dad laughed hard at me when i got shocked.

what about injector noise as a whole. how violent is the tick? my last motor a tick turned into a shot rod bearing which i did not diagnose until too late. however now on my new motor i am getting tapping noise from the injectors which sorta sounds similar to me, until i dove around the valve train with a stethoscope and found it was not coming from the head or bottom end but the injectors.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
mkiiichip;1584508 said:
Once you get the valve covers off youll notice that under the camshaft, on top of all of the valve buckets, there are "pucks". The adjustment you are looking for, is the clearance between the camshaft and the "puck" and/or "Shim", while off the camshaft lobe.

This is the TSRM for adjustment. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=8

The only place id get shims from is toyota, and theyre not cheep (aprox $12 each, which seems like allot when you pick up 24, or more)

If you have to adjust more that two shims on either camshaft, i think its easier to measure, remove cam, and replace needed shims.

You can get them from a number of places-
This is the cheapest place I've found:
http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/valve-clearance-discs-25mm.html

Brewhaha

Jul 12, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
I'm a little new to the supra's, but when i first bought my 7mge i had a ticking noise. I thought i needed a valve adjustment but I then found I had a small exhaust leak between the exhaust manifold and downpipe. I bought the new donut gaskets and put them in and the noise is gone. Just another angle to look at it from.

Last edited:

ToyotaSupra

Shawn
Dec 12, 2009
Fond du Lac
pulled each wire, ticking still there for each,,,,,, started pullin injector clips, did 3 , didnt sound like it was coming from that area, still kinda loud in the left side near the exaust side, and i know its not a exaust leak, ill have to get a stethoscope!

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
If it is rod bearings then your in for some money, but usually rod bearings get louder as rpm increases it normally wont go away at higher levels. If it is shims, you will want to get a good micrometer, and I dont mean a digital mic there not very accurate if you are gonna do it yourself. If you are not very good at mechanical dont attempt shims. And if your worried about it take it somewhere and have them check it, most places do it for free and at most $20.

ToyotaSupra

Shawn
Dec 12, 2009
Fond du Lac
aight so the guy i sold my other 88 7m-ge to came over and he blew the rods on his car (my old 1) he claims he put 2g's into the motor and his first burnout the rod bearings went out,,, so anyways he said that the sound my car is making is the same sound that his was making right before the rod's went.... doesnt make me too happy but, how much money would it be
"somewhat close in price +/- 300$) IF it happens to be rods lol i dunno, think i should make a video? would that help anyone beable to tell me what it is or what it could be... i got a stethascope which i would use in the video and show ya'll where the noise sounds like its comin from

Shawn!