7M Engine Sounds - Need Your Opinion

MichiganLC

Oct 30, 2015
Michigan
I'd like for those with experience with the 7M to listen to my engine and tell me if you hear anything that concerns you. It has the following:

Wiseco pistons
Eagle rods
Shimmed 10 mm pump/cross over hose
ACL race bearings
6M crank/'91 block

I'm purposely leaving out other info so your ear isn't biased.

Does it sound as expected?

http://youtu.be/t9wDd9M5A9c

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I believe this sound is generated by the Wiseco pistons. My engine makes the exact same noises (sounds kind of like a diesel) which concerned me at first, but I have heard similar noise with every 7m that has Wiseco pistons. I've been running my motor like this for several years without any problems.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I've never run forged pistons before, but from what I've heard on other vehicles it does sound like a little piston slap. Do you happen to know the piston to wall clearance your machine shop did? Did they tell you?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
As I said many times when I still had the 7M...
"She thinks my tractor's sexy!"

IMO totally normal sounding from what I can hear. Get big cams and it gets even louder.

SupraBro

I was running wiseco pistons and eagle rods in my red supra, sounded just like this, I was also concerned about the sound. Drove that motor for 4 years, pretty sure its normal! Aftermarket pistons are known to bet a bit louder

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's louder because under the conditions needed for forged the piston expands more. So when machining the piston to bore gap is larger creating the piston slap noise usually until warmed up to where they expand enough to make less noise.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
have a wiseco/eagle build that sounds exactly the same. built to wiseco-recommended specs. thought there was an issue with mine, but after this thread, I'm not so concerned.

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
I agree with everyone else. Forged piston motors will sound like that. That's very close to how mine sounds. Get it warm and it'll quiet down a bit. And I don't mean up to operating temp, I mean directly after driving it for a while.