7m blocks NA vs. Turbo??

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Ok you guys are obviously pretty knowlegeable and I have yet to hear a definite answer to this question. I am planning a turbo upgrade to my NA and I need to know if the NA block is identical to the turbo. My NA only has 58000 miles and of course I would rather use my block then go with another. I have heard there are more oil passages in the turbo. Has anyone seen both torn down and compared the two? Thanks

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
my post is totally useless other than confirming i have heard of oil squrters in the block to....

check out.... www.speedtoys.com/~stryer there's a list of the differences between the cars wich includes the differences in the block (Ithink):)

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Turbo Block:
oil squirters
oil return from turbo
oil feed to the turbo
has lower compression pistons

N/A Block
no squirters. It has been proven that the oil squirters are not necessary even if turbo'd.

Higher compression pistons will not allow you to run as high boost as lower compression pistons (such as stock turbo's have). How much boost you can have with N/A pistons exactly without detonation, I don't know.

One of your biggest problems may be to set up the block for the oil return that a turbo needs to have. The oil feed hole in the block supplying oil to the turbo may not exist either.

Dr Jonez does do these conversions for people in your situtation.

EDIT:
Justin's link works now, it just needed a slash ;):
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stryder/
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stryder/conversion.html

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
do you mean just putting turbo stuffs on your NA motor? you can do it, buty ou have to be conservative w/ the boost and make sure your tune is dead on! and change the oil on a regular basis since there is a lack of oil cooler stuffs and what not. there will be alot more heat being retained in the engine and oil w/ turbo acc. added and no provisions for auxillary cooling.

lowbudgettarga

supra and I - Broke
Apr 2, 2005
Bellingham, WA
1 more difference, the turbo block has another hole threaded for the second knock sensor. I was comparing the 2 side by side at work today going over the differences with someone who just bought an n/a and wants to turbo it.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
the oil lines are NOT a problem. all you have to do is get an oil filter relocation kit, get some appropriate fittings for the turbo, and you are good to go...

on THAT note, i have a complete 7m NA shortblock, 350+ shipping gets it!

i highly reccomend a rebuild however, though the motor only has 65000 miles on it, there is some surface rust here and there from it sitting outside (covered up).

let me know!