7m -> 1j

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
not quite...

Getting out of the supra game, my soarer TT (5sp, RHD) will be in my possession next week :)

I've noticed a lack of low end torque while driving my soarer... what can I do to improve this? Any stock maintenance I should be addressing right now?

Only 68 000 km on her

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
sweetlikechutny;1051871 said:
not quite...

Getting out of the supra game, my soarer TT (5sp, RHD) will be in my possession next week :)

I've noticed a lack of low end torque while driving my soarer... what can I do to improve this? Any stock maintenance I should be addressing right now?

Only 68 000 km on her

1jz lacking torque no way :biglaugh: ditch a few hundred pounds and you'll notice a big improvement ;) also switching to a 2j shortblock would help a bit as well as a single turbo

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is the soarer auto or 5 speed?

I would say cam the motor, ignore the lack of torque, and be happy with the gobs of high-end power. Also, if you thought your Supra was heavy, your Soarer is heavier. That's going to make a noticeable difference in acceleration.

If you REALLY want to make some torque, a 2JZ bottom end will do that. It's not cheap or easy though.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
annoyingrob;1052101 said:
Is the soarer auto or 5 speed?

I would say cam the motor, ignore the lack of torque, and be happy with the gobs of high-end power. Also, if you thought your Supra was heavy, your Soarer is heavier. That's going to make a noticeable difference in acceleration.

If you REALLY want to make some torque, a 2JZ bottom end will do that. It's not cheap or easy though.

200$~ for a used shortblock isnt too bad :D

i was going to pick up an sc300 but they are just too heavy and boat-like... was like driving the ls400 all over again

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
1.5jz is the only thing you can do other then keep turning the boost up since the turbos make full boost at like 1500rpm's ;).

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
I'm pretty sure my soarer is lighter then my supra. The soarers were a lot lighter then the Lexus SC400/300. It is a 5sp. How much would it cost to swap a 2j block?

I love this car though, it does everything a supra does but better. A great GT car. I bought it for a winter beater, but now I think I am forced to sell my supra (4 cars in our house).

I know with the 7m it required a lot of maintenance before making power.. Can I just turn the boost up on my 1j? How can I make a lot of cheap power?

I don't think I want to spend too much on the car as I will likely be getting a new supra in a few years (1992 MKIII with the works or a MKIV, both imported from Japan)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
anyone have the actual weight from a weigh in? with an actual soarer? i know the sc300's are rated 3500 for the manual and up for the auto - and the auto mkiii should be 3500 and lower for a manual

and arent sc400's 100lbs heavier than the auto 2j

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
rtrdpenguin;1052164 said:
My dad's SC400 actually weighs about 200 lbs less than my Supra =\ It's a bit over 3500 lbs according to the manual and my Supra was 3700ish last time I weighed it. Who knows though, I've never weighed the SC on a scale.

3700?!!!! My 87t auto (7m) weighed in at 3540. How could yours be that much heavier? Stereo?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I put an intake, and am running a 3" from the ypipe back w/o a cat, and I see 15psi. It could be my turbos being shot.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
sweetlikechutny;1055564 said:
How much is stock boost? Will I need to upgrade injectors to hit 15 psi? Seems like the stock fuel system is weak (330cc injectors?)

Stock boost is 10psi. Stock injectors are 380cc.

I was hitting 94% duty cycle on my stock injectors, with stock turbos at 15psi, but I think that was partially due to the fuel pump.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
From wikipedia:

The 1JZ-GTE employs twin CT12A turbochargers arranged in parallel and blowing through a side-mounted air-to-air intercooler. With an 8.5:1 static compression ratio, the factory quoted power and torque outputs are 206kW (280 HP) at 6200 rpm and 363Nm at 4800 rpm respectively. These early 1JZ-GTEs are most commonly available with an auto transmission but a 5-speed manual version was available in the Supra 2.5 GT. Yamaha is believed to have had a hand in the development or production of these motors (possibly the head design), hence the Yamaha badging on certain parts of the motor, such as the cam gear cover and possibly the cylinders themselves.

In the following year (1991), the 1JZ-GTE was slotted into the all-new Soarer GT. Output remained at 206kW/363Nm and, again, most examples come tied to an auto trans. These 1JZ-GTE powered Soarers are quite common on the Australian market (as ‘grey’ imports).

The early generation 1JZ-GTEs are a great engine from a bang for buck point of view, combining the inherent smoothness of an inline 6 cylinder engine with the revving capacity of its short stroke and early power delivery of its small, ceramic wheeled turbochargers. The ceramic turbine wheels are prone to delamination in the setting of high impeller rpm and local temperature conditions, usually a result of higher boost. IMPORTANT: On that note, the 1st Gen 1JZ's were even more prone to turbo failure due to there being a faulty one-way valve on the head, specifically on the intake cam cover causing blow-by to go into the intake manifold. Also on the exhaust side a decent amount of oil vapor flows into the turbos causing premature wear on the seals. The later 1st Gens had this problem fixed and in Japan there was actually a recall in order to repair the 1st Gens, though that does not apply to 1JZ's imported to other countries. The fix is simple, and involves replacement of the PCV valve (2jz); all parts are available through Toyota.yo

The "3rd Generation" of 1JZs were introduced around 1996, still as a 2.5 turbo, but with reworked head incorporating Toyota's newly developed continuously variable valve timing mechanism (VVT-i) , modified water jackets for improved cylinder cooling and newly developed shims with a titanium nitride coating for reduced cam friction [2] . The turbo setup changed from parallel twin turbo (CT12x2) to a single turbo (CT 15B). The adoption ot VVT-i and the improved cylinder cooling allowed the compression ratio to be increased from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1. Even though the OFFICAL power figures remained the same on paper (280HP @ 6200RPM) the Torque was increased with 20NM to 379NM at only 2400rpm (Originally 363Nm at 4800rpm). Combined Engine improvements resulted in improvements in engine efficiency that led to the fuel consumption reduction of 10%. Overall the adoption of a much higher efficiency single turbocharger than the twins, different manifold and exhaust ports were responsible for most of the 50% torque increase at low engine speeds . This engine was used primarily in Toyota's X chassis cars (Chaser, Mark II, Cresta, Verossa), the Crown Athlete V (JZS170) and in the later JZZ30 Soarer, as the JZA70 Supra was long discontinued by this time.

Peak torque was shifted to 2400rpms with the latest generation 1jz...