6.5" speakers in your pre-91 doors

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay, I just got my set of MB Quart 6.5" separates, and I'm going to make 'em fit these doors, for sure. I also got a set of Kicker SSMB6 6.5" subwoofers, which I may install instead, if I can get more than 0.3 ft^3 and the requisite mounting depth, and locate the components in kickpanels instead.

The plan is to make an enclosure for the speakers with as much air space as possible. It's easier to make the volume smaller than larger, after all.

The speaker face will sit facing the existing grille, and the little port grille for the factory 4" speakers. Maybe not ideal, but more than good enough. Maybe not if the door speakers were going to handle more than a couple hundred watts, but I'm personally not planning on more than 75W/channel for these.

Anyway, I figure that I can do this one of two ways. I can either make one set of enclosures, in place, so they don't come out, or I can make molds for them, in which case, I can make more than one set. I'll be working on these during April, so I would like to know if anyone else would like to have a set like this, if it's worth my while to make more than one set.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
heres what i did: I bought a set of 91+ door panels, and then i attempted to fiberglassed an enclosure off the old 4" enclosure and made a new face for them for the 6.5's. :) My fiberglassing sucks, if you are still planning to make more then 1 set of mould I would love to get in on this. Let me know.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I too found a set of 91-92 pods. However they are getting harder to find. I really like the idea that pbasil had. That had to improve sound quality.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I've done the pods too. Too bad I didn't take pics of the process nor the product itself, but only the last result.
p987827_1.jpg

Those are 6'' IIRC.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
They fitted there nicely. Lemme go get a pic. They don't touch the door panel. I like the pre91 door style, so I wanted it to stay as is.
p987887_1.jpg

p987887_2.jpg

oh, and as I see, there are different speakers in it now :)hmmm...

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Tweeter grille? I thought it was a hole for the air moving in-out.
The metal on the panel is shaved a bit, but not much (no more room, as you see).
Tweeters were put on the triangle near the window, as you also see on the pic :)

Sadly, this setup doesn't have much bass... maybe I'd need some good sound deadening there, as it's mentioned in the posts above. Though I'll be adding a Kicker to the trunk anyway :)

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
is the back of the speaker sealed somehow? That'll really make a difference in bass because otherwise the backwave will find it's way out and cancel out the front wave most of the way.
In my tacoma I made custom speaker mounts for the stock location and used some heavy plastic to seal off the door cavity as best I could before laying the door panel back on it. By no means is that as good as having a solid sealed enclosure but the bass from the doors is actually pretty strong and I think the plastic helped.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
miekedmr;988001 said:
is the back of the speaker sealed somehow?
If you're using stock, unmolested 91+ mounts, IIRC, it's either completely sealed, or very easy to seal them. It's been so long since I looked at them.

Makes me wish I didn't hack them apart. I could have sold them for some decent change.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The stockers are completely open at the back. You could seal over the back of the enclosure easily enough, however then it would be extremely small airspace, which doesn't do a lot of good. I have a set that I was going to use that way, but I decided that it wasn't worthwhile.