5UPRAH had an off on the track with incar video!

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Went to the track last weekend - had a complete blast!

Had good fun - didn't have camera first session then forgot to record the third session. My gearbox is buggered - synchro's are stuffed hence all the crunching, and the gearstick would often jam going from 4th to 5th.

Here's the 2nd session. Manifold to wastegate gasket blew out - so was loosing heaps of boost. Melted and burnt the paint on one side of the strut tower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EF3IoG7MY0

Then here's part 1 of the 4th session (was going a bit harder):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0w8jgmb8Yw

And here's part 2 of that session with the little off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JitnNTFmTM0

For those who don't care about the rest and just want to see my off - here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyPrrEpFP1I

Left front brake caliper (sliding sort) slider seized causing one pad to overheat and melt which cooked the disk which cooked the other pad which cooked the fluid. I lost all brakes coming into the hairpin (was doing between 140-145mph). Managed to pull it up to about 90mph when I left the track. Pulled handbrake which made me go sideways and almost roll in the gravel. Ended up hitting the wall backwards.

Stone got wedged inside lower cam belt cover - breaking cam belt, but only when I was driving back to the pits strangely enough. Left car at a mates in Pukekohe for a few days - went there the other night and replaced cambelt and front pads. She's home now :)

And here's some pics from the day:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Squat much? lol

p1302939_1.jpg

Body roll anyone? LOL

p1302939_2.jpg

p1302939_3.jpg

This MKIV has heaps of power for the straights but nothing through the corners - I was "all up in his shit" hehe

p1302939_4.jpg

This Integra driver had big balls lol

p1302939_5.jpg

p1302939_6.jpg

Last edited:

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
suprarx7nut;1302945 said:
Damn, looks fun!

Just goes to show how important brake components are.

Glad she's home in one piece!

Yeah reckon! Had Mintex 1166 pads and Motul RBF600 fluid and stainless lines - but standard single pot calipers HAHA YUCK!

Have just purchased some 4 pot wilwood's. Just now trying to find some really thick disks (~1.25") and about 12-12.5" diameter....

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
tacoma_kyle;1308247 said:
Great vid's man. I like. More people need to do real track racing, so much more fun. Hell you probably break less parts too. Well maybe not brakes lol.

Brakes aren't all that expensive if you just want to have a fun day at the track every few weeks or so.

My calipers (Wilwood 4pot Superlite) were $200NZD, Pads (Ferodo 2500) were $280NZD, disks were about $90NZD each and then you just need to get adapters made up.

Cant wait to get them on the car and take it to the track on 1st June :)

MA70R

Mar 12, 2009
canberra
5uprahboy;1308604 said:
Brakes aren't all that expensive if you just want to have a fun day at the track every few weeks or so.

My calipers (Wilwood 4pot Superlite) were $200NZD, Pads (Ferodo 2500) were $280NZD, disks were about $90NZD each and then you just need to get adapters made up.

Cant wait to get them on the car and take it to the track on 1st June :)

dont forget to post vids :icon_bigg

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Nice job staying calm and arcing off, not cutting the wheel or anything. Shame you lost brakes but that's why the traps are there :) First watch (without sound) I thought you just completely missed your brake point and locked up at turn-in.

Car looked good and it looks like a fun track. Was there much damage or just some armco rash? I don't do a check brake each lap but will remind myself after watching that.

Was that 140 KmPH? I wouldn't think that pit would be enough to stop the car at 140 mph. Btw, those pads probably don't like heat much (aren't they a standard metallic like the metal-master stuff?
Thanks for posting vids, at least you got your first off-track over with.
Brian

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
prsrcokr;1310036 said:
Nice job staying calm and arcing off, not cutting the wheel or anything. Shame you lost brakes but that's why the traps are there :) First watch (without sound) I thought you just completely missed your brake point and locked up at turn-in.

Car looked good and it looks like a fun track. Was there much damage or just some armco rash? I don't do a check brake each lap but will remind myself after watching that.

Was that 140 KmPH? I wouldn't think that pit would be enough to stop the car at 140 mph. Btw, those pads probably don't like heat much (aren't they a standard metallic like the metal-master stuff?
Thanks for posting vids, at least you got your first off-track over with.
Brian

At the end of the straight I was doing 140-145mph - but by the time I hit the grass I was doing ~90mph so probably about 80mph by the time I hit the trap.

But yeah - I now know to check brakes before going out between sessions hehe

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
5uprahboy;1302954 said:
Yeah reckon! Had Mintex 1166 pads and Motul RBF600 fluid and stainless lines - but standard single pot calipers HAHA YUCK!

Have just purchased some 4 pot wilwood's. Just now trying to find some really thick disks (~1.25") and about 12-12.5" diameter....

Firs nice vidz:) Second if you are serious about tracking ,I would not go with any size under 13" on the disks. Since U already got the wilwood's ,I strongly recommend a JBK Kit or a copy of it ,I believe that there is a guy that currently sells some never used original JBK hats + adapters on the supraforums.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
LordDigital;1311277 said:
Firs nice vidz:) Second if you are serious about tracking ,I would not go with any size under 13" on the disks. Since U already got the wilwood's ,I strongly recommend a JBK Kit or a copy of it ,I believe that there is a guy that currently sells some never used original JBK hats + adapters on the supraforums.

Cheers :)
From what I've been told - as long as I use decent pads, add some cooling ducting, the 324mm (12.75") will be fine - heck, the V8 supercars were using one about that size up until a few years ago lol

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Shane001;1311850 said:
That's around 240kph+, at Pukekohe!, that's a very fast car u got there!

What top speeds were the V8's getting when they raced there?

More than that I would imagine lol

Nah not really that powerful. To be honest it's more like 230kmph.

They would be touching 270 I would imagine, maybe 280....

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
That must be a long straight, at VIR (in Virginia, US) we have a 3000' back straight and the Z06's are only hitting 140 or so but it's from a fairly slow corner. Your car must be making some good power, I'm usually able to see 120 maybe a little more if I push braking a little deeper.

You Aussie guys have some cool tracks over there.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
prsrcokr;1312311 said:
That must be a long straight, at VIR (in Virginia, US) we have a 3000' back straight and the Z06's are only hitting 140 or so but it's from a fairly slow corner. Your car must be making some good power, I'm usually able to see 120 maybe a little more if I push braking a little deeper.

You Aussie guys have some cool tracks over there.

Aussie? You son of a BEEP BEEP BEEP you motherBEEP tight little BEEP

hehe :)

I'm a Kiwi man!

oh an here's the track:
Pukekohe.gif