5th gear popping out??

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
lately my tranny (r154) has been popping out of 5th gear and i had it rebuilt about 6 months ago
it will only go in sometimes, could it be the short shifter ?
ive had the short shifter for a while and it was fine before but all of a sudden its been popping out

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I had this same exact problem after having my transmission rebuilt.... then about a month later, the center race of the front countershaft bearing EXITED the transmission through the front of the case.
Turns out the rebuilder left the snap ring for the front bearing on the countershaft out. The bearing seems to be pressed on, but that snapring is required!

The countershaft was allowed to move forward when you let off the gas and it would pop out of 5th...

You may not have the same problem, but I had the exact same symptoms.... then it blew the hell up!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
here is what happened eventually....
p1776702_1.jpg

p1776702_2.jpg

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
That's the coolest failure I've seen to date- Nice perfect little cutout.

When you drive- Do you leave your hand on the shifter? If so that can wear the hubs out- Other then that the most common causes are mis-installed detents, or a worn hub to cause the transmission to loose a gear. Does it happen under power, or while engine braking?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Popping out of gear....

1) You have bad synchros.
2) Parts were incorrectly installed.
3) Improperly installed locking balls(detents).
4) Bad Hubs

You said you have it rebuilt, so I doubt number one is the cause. I contacted Joliroger about a problem I had since he rebuilt many R154s and he told me, if it goes back together improperly, they just won't go into gear at all.

Bad hubs could be a possibility. I made sure when I rebuilt my transmission, I checked that the locking tabs for each hubs were installed properly. The little tabs for each hub have a notch on both ends which holds the spring. If that is installed improperly, your transmission would not even shift correctly.

This leaves the detents. They are locking mechanisms that hold each rod in place when in and out of gear. That can be worn or the rod. You could try changing the locking balls and springs but if it is the oval shaped ones, you will need to take your transmission apart as those drop down from the top of the intermediate plate after placing a new rod in place.

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
i found the problem,the two big bolts in back of the tranny that center the shifter in place were backed out so i tightened them and put the stock shifter back on, and no more problems