5sp swap - my thoughts

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
This is a brief post about my personal experience with the dreaded 5 speed swap.

So I finished my 5 speed swap a coupe of days ago (took about 13 hours over 2 days). I used a W58.

A few tips:

- If you are going to use the hard line from a manual car for the hydraulics, be prepared to curse....a lot. I did (see below). The good thing is, every A70 body i have ever seen has the soft line mount point on the underside of the body, so no worries there.

- Pull the engine. This will give you a chance to run the clutch line down (if you used the stock steel line), and tie up anything on your motor that might be leaking (valve covers by #6 in my case). You will save several hours by doing this.

- The clutch pedal is a kick in the dick....seriously. Overall, its not too hateful until you get to nut on the top left of the assembly. Have fun with that one. i think I got lucky.

- The brake light switch is identical. You can pull the switch labeled "Clutch Switch" out of the clutch pedal assembly, you won't need it.

- For the wiring, I have attached a basic outline of the harness I made for the backup lights, clutch safety switch, and cruise cancel. The wires from the engine bay connectors to the pedal switch are approx 4 feet in length (and are a bit too long), with the reverse section being approx 12-15 inches. Be sure to check these lengths. My car will not start without the pedal down, cruise works fine, and reverse lights work like a champ. This will require a few connectors from the old auto trans, as well as the reverse light pigtail from a 5 speed engine bay harness. The speed sensor connectors are plug and play, although the auto is 4 wire and the manual is 3 wire. My ABS works fine regardless. The other square connector is not used.

- Some people keep the auto 7MGE engine controller...I opted to use a manual computer. I dont like my engine jumping to 1K at idle with the clutch pressed because it thinks its in park. The manual computer will stop this (it did for me). I would imagine that fuel delivery and certain elements of timing are different between auto and manual cars, could someone chime in on that?

- Your O/D Off light will flash quite a bit. The only thing I can tell you is take the bulb out, or for a cleaner look, install a tach from a manual car.

- The shifter hole did not need to be cut, however the bolt holes for the rubber boot closest to the coin holder are not in the right place. The ones by the radio are. I did not consider this a big deal.

Overall, it was a (fairly) painless swap, and i could probably do it in half the time next time. If anyone has any questions, shoot me a PM and i'll do my best to answer you as best I can (based on my own experiences).

Per usual, your miles may vary.

Attachments

• supra-wiring.gif
    supra-wiring.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 267

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
pogoism9;1078501 said:
This is a brief post about my personal experience with the dreaded 5 speed swap.

So I finished my 5 speed swap a coupe of days ago (took about 13 hours over 2 days). I used a W58.

A few tips:

- If you are going to use the hard line from a manual car for the hydraulics, be prepared to curse....a lot. I did (see below). The good thing is, every A70 body i have ever seen has the soft line mount point on the underside of the body, so no worries there.

- Pull the engine. This will give you a chance to run the clutch line down (if you used the stock steel line), and tie up anything on your motor that might be leaking (valve covers by #6 in my case). You will save several hours by doing this.

- The clutch pedal is a kick in the dick....seriously. Overall, its not too hateful until you get to nut on the top left of the assembly. Have fun with that one. i think I got lucky.

- The brake light switch is identical. You can pull the switch labeled "Clutch Switch" out of the clutch pedal assembly, you won't need it.

- For the wiring, I have attached a basic outline of the harness I made for the backup lights, clutch safety switch, and cruise cancel. The wires from the engine bay connectors to the pedal switch are approx 4 feet in length (and are a bit too long), with the reverse section being approx 12-15 inches. Be sure to check these lengths. My car will not start without the pedal down, cruise works fine, and reverse lights work like a champ. This will require a few connectors from the old auto trans, as well as the reverse light pigtail from a 5 speed engine bay harness. The speed sensor connectors are plug and play, although the auto is 4 wire and the manual is 3 wire. My ABS works fine regardless. The other square connector is not used.

- Some people keep the auto 7MGE engine controller...I opted to use a manual computer. I dont like my engine jumping to 1K at idle with the clutch pressed because it thinks its in park. The manual computer will stop this (it did for me). I would imagine that fuel delivery and certain elements of timing are different between auto and manual cars, could someone chime in on that?

- Your O/D Off light will flash quite a bit. The only thing I can tell you is take the bulb out, or for a cleaner look, install a tach from a manual car.

- The shifter hole did not need to be cut, however the bolt holes for the rubber boot closest to the coin holder are not in the right place. The ones by the radio are. I did not consider this a big deal.

Overall, it was a (fairly) painless swap, and i could probably do it in half the time next time. If anyone has any questions, shoot me a PM and i'll do my best to answer you as best I can (based on my own experiences).

Per usual, your miles may vary.

also interested in the differences between auto and manual ecu's............anyone?

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
hey pogoism9
i just finished my 5 speed swap on my 87 supra and i have a question for u? why did u connect the neutral start switch to the clutch (start) safety switch inside the car on the clutch pedal?

My comment is that just bypassing the neutral start switch is good enough, or did u have an alternate reason for wanting to use the clutch to have to start the car?

redmaro;1079866 said:
also interested in the differences between auto and manual ecu's............anyone?

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
freemoneey;1079904 said:
hey pogoism9
i just finished my 5 speed swap on my 87 supra and i have a question for u? why did u connect the neutral start switch to the clutch (start) safety switch inside the car on the clutch pedal?

My comment is that just bypassing the neutral start switch is good enough, or did u have an alternate reason for wanting to use the clutch to have to start the car?

and REDMARO i believe that the one of many differences, is that the manual ecu has a little higher boost at the stock level.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
freemoneey;1079908 said:
and REDMARO i believe that the one of many differences, is that the manual ecu has a little higher boost at the stock level.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. They both have the same boost level.

Pogoism9, why did you use a W58? Unless you plan on being N/A and not doing any power mods other than an intake and exhaust you need to swap in an R154. Reason being is that the W58 is a tranny designed for gutless Supra's. It can barely handle 400 RHWP, but not for long. The R154 on the other hand is extremely strong and easy to come by, as well as offering more upgradable parts, like stage 4 clutches and upgraded internals (even though the internals are good for ~700 RWHP on an upgraded clutch).

Adam

mclabaugh

suprastuntin
Nov 29, 2006
houston, tx
good info! i'm in the middle of a 5spd swap with an r154. i'm non-turbo but who know what's in this cars future. i just need a driveshaft and clutch & brake pedals and i'll be golden. i went ahead and did the Marlin crawler bushings and the SOGI shifter mod and a new shifter/e-brake/ and armrest cover combo from "empera". IN WORK!!

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
I'm currently N/A and this car will stay that way. This was the only real mos to this car, as I feel its too clean to hack up (the car).

I wired the switch so that I don't accidentally smack the car in front of me when I try and start. The key to this swap for me was to be as "factory" as possible. I still need to swap tachs, but everything else looks like I came from the factory that way.

I also needed to get this done so i can start on my 1UZ swap in my 89.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
pogoism9;1078501 said:

agreed.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
freemoneey;1079908 said:

if you are referring to what it says in the manual ( i forget what the numbers are), i think the reason the boost pressure number is lower on the auto is because of the torque convertor always having a little bit of slippage, resulting in less load which ultimatly results in boost not building as much.

i thought the 5speed swap was pretty easy. I put a W58 in aswell. Unfortunatly from a Non-ABS car, and theres no way i'm pressing in a speed gear or whatever.
Question though..
Will the Cruise Control work without the clutch switch hooked up? I guess i could just check a wiring diagram, but i havent bothered touching it since i need to fix my speedo cable first.
Oh and my O/D light flashed for about a day and then never came on again:) score

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
i was wondering why u went that extra step, for security purpose. but wanted to bypass the neutral start switch so i didn't hooked up the clutch pedal swicth.

and about the boost level at stock settings. that was what i was referring about.
BTW i cant wait to finish my new exhaust so i can start driving my supra with the new 5 speed. and i am sure i will be making more power with the 5 speed at the same level i had it in the auto, just because of how freaking heavy the auto is compare to the 5 speed.

Yes the clutch pedal was harder for me to put in than it was to take it out of my parts car, because i have taken off a lot parts from it.

pogoism9;1080314 said:
I believe I read that you had to splice a wire from the CC computer into the switch. The way I wired it, it works fine.