550hp build

Mk3Les

Hi guys I’m in the process of getting a new motor built for my car, I want to do it once and do it right so I’d like a little advice on the build. I’m shooting for 550 to 600 hp at the wheels once it’s done. At this stage the turbo I’m thinking of using is the Master Power T70 and an EMS stinger to manage the whole shebang. I already have 550 injectors in my motor that I plan to use in the new one. Having said that it could change as the motor comes together. The big thing now is to build the block and head strong enough to take the power. I’m starting with a good 7m block that’s never blown a head gasket. I’ve already picked up a set of wiseco pistons and ARP main and rod bolts I’ll be using Spool rods as well. The head has already been built it has 1mm over sized stainless steel valves and a mild port job. My builder also has a set of adjustable cam gears that he had made up but never used we could put in but I think it maybe overkill as I’d planed to use the standard cams.
So here is what I’d like to know, from what I understand the HKS head gasket seem to be the better choice would anyone recommend another brand or type? What rod and main bearings would you recommend? And lastly the oil pump, standard or shimmed?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
1) you will need atleast 680 cc injectors to make 600 whp

2) clevite berings seem to work pretty well (don't know if they make them anymore though)

3) I left the oil pump alone, just bought a brand new one and installed (doesn't make it right or wrong, you will find out that guys have different opinions on this)

4) the Titan Metal Heagaskets work fine as well but the HKS should work

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you have pictures of those spool rods? i've never heard of them...

and most people seem to reccomend either titan or HKS. but titan gaskets are just rebranded cometics... but i would go HKS Stopper as its suppose to be the "best" HG on the market for the 7m

and i wouldnt count on 680's making 600WHP, just throw in a set of 1000cc's and never worry about your injectors being maxed out.

clevite (actually NDC) makes good bearings for our cars, everyone seems to use them, some people are just OEM happy and get toyota OEM bearings but i would rather go with clevite. and there are tons of vendors that sell them. titanmotorsports has killer prices on them.

you'd be a fool to not shim your pump. but you only need 5mm so keep that in mind. and for a build this big, get a new one from driftmotion. and i would put a LOT of thinking into the oiling system... expanded pan, big ass oil cooler, and all of that stuff.

Mk3Les

Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate it. The Spool rods are from an Australian company, we haven’t ordered them just yet, its been my fault I couldn’t make up my mind but at the end of the day I figure it’s cheap insurance and I can get them at cost price. Here’s a link to their web site
http://www.spoolimports.com/content/AboutSpoolImports.asp

Also thanks you guys have confirmed 1) my injectors are too small although I don’t think I’d go for 1000cc injectors, I’ll look at getting some 750 to 800cc. 2) HKS stopper is the way to go and 3) Clevite bearings are the one to use. I’ve searched the forums and apart from a problem with the HKS stopper having a rivet that needs to be removed they seem to be the best.
The oil system is going to be a bit trickier I don’t think I’ll go with a bigger oil pan but defiantly get a new oil pump and the biggest oil cooler I can fit. I’ve read up on shimming the oil pump and honestly the only thing I can see it doing is increasing the oil pressure at idle. If I’m wrong please correct me. The guy who is doing the build for me has never shimmed an oil pump and has never lost a motor, but there is a first time for everything I just don’t want it to be me.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have upgraded 7m Aisin oil pumps available for $325, they are blueprinted, moly coated pump gears the end of the drive gear is also coated, and the pump is slightly shimmed. It will make more pressure at idle, which is where your engine will benifit from increased pressure, and you can't get that by just shimming a stock pump. I will have several new ones available to ship in about 2 weeks. I have one that came out of my 7m that was only run for 500 miles, I'll ask $275 for that one. And I have the ARZ Performance oil pump pipe that's -10 size, that's a nice addition to the upgraded pump.

As for the 1000 cc injectors, that would probably be a little overkill, I think 720cc-820cc would be plenty for your power goal.

Clevite has discontinued some of the 7m bearings, I haven't been able to get a complete set for a while now. I do have a set of .020" under in stock with standard size thrust washers. We used ACL for a while with no problems. Any tri-metal bearing is going to be about the same thing these days.

Last edited:

Mk3Les

bigaaron;1051729 said:
I have upgraded 7m Aisin oil pumps available for $325, they are blueprinted, moly coated pump gears the end of the drive gear is also coated, and the pump is slightly shimmed. It will make more pressure at idle, which is where your engine will benifit from increased pressure, and you can't get that by just shimming a stock pump. I will have several new ones available to ship in about 2 weeks. I have one that came out of my 7m that was only run for 500 miles, I'll ask $275 for that one. And I have the ARZ Performance oil pump pipe that's -10 size, that's a nice addition to the upgraded pump.

As for the 1000 cc injectors, that would probably be a little overkill, I think 720cc-820cc would be plenty for your power goal.

Clevite has discontinued some of the 7m bearings, I haven't been able to get a complete set for a while now. I do have a set of .020" under in stock with standard size thrust washers. We used ACL for a while with no problems. Any tri-metal bearing is going to be about the same thing these days.

Hey AArnon, thanks for the info I'll be talking to my builder this week and work it out from there. Also you may not remember me but I emailed you a month or so ago about your plug and play Stinger harness, I haven't forgotten and will be placing an order with you as soon as I can, this build just came up at the wrong time but at a price I just couldn't say no too ;) .Truth be known I had never planed on doing a build like this but when my guy told me that he had a worked head that he never got around to doing anything with plus new forged pistons, arp rod bolts etc...... well it just had to happen.

Mk3Les

Rennat;1051964 said:
only reason i say 1000's is just so he has breathing room to expand, some people arent content with staying at one power level...

lol, mate honestly with only the 340rwhp that I have now it's enough for me to get into lots of trouble.I never thought I'd be doing this but you know how it goes, maybe I should get the 1000cc lol

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
run a check on my name in the member list i have a full listing in my build and i'm running everything you listed including the 1000cc injectors.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i just know from a lot of previous builds that people tend to shoot for a certain HP level, some hit exactly the power they want because they kind of go small on mods, and then others go for larger power levels (above 550hp) and they either are happy with whatever they get, or get power hungry and wanna max everything out.

it all comes down to how much time and money you wanna put into it i guess...