46 trim ct26 upgrade. injectors? afm? suggestions?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Personally, I'd be doing some research on the store itself before giving them any business.

As for the 46 trim, there's no need to upgrade anything else on the car to run it, however keep in mind it's power potential isn't very high.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
They (Suprastore) once told me I could run a Lex AFM and 550's on the stock electronics without the need to trim the fuel back with an auxiluiary (piggyback) fuel computer. Said the TCCS would sort it all out and deliver the proper amount of fuel without being "told" the injectors were bigger. The logic being that the MAF sensor (housing) was also bigger so things would "even out". I just laughed and hung up the phone:) My .02, and that's all I have to say about that.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Suprastore isn't a good place to do business. Look in the review section at all the complaints against them.

If you really want to send a core to someone then use Driftmotion. Have them build you a 50trim or something.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
ummm this actually is true.... theres a reason the lex/550 combo works together quite well. you can make more power with some tuning after but you can also do that with the stock afm and 440s....

to the op: a 46 trim really doesn't need anything else and is very close to the stock ct26.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
boostcraver;1643921 said:
They (Suprastore) once told me I could run a Lex AFM and 550's on the stock electronics without the need to trim the fuel back with an auxiluiary (piggyback) fuel computer. Said the TCCS would sort it all out and deliver the proper amount of fuel without being "told" the injectors were bigger. The logic being that the MAF sensor (housing) was also bigger so things would "even out". I just laughed and hung up the phone:) My .02, and that's all I have to say about that.

ahhhhh im pretty sure this is true

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Ok, since the comments on the Lex AFM/550 combo seem to keep coming, and since it was suggested that I don't know much about our cars (having owned 3 of them), let me take a minute to ask for a little guidance and/or further explanation of the inner workings of the TCCS. AS I understand it, in the world of computer controlled devices and systems, when you change a given value (such as the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders) you have to tell the control module what to do with the new value or it goes all screwy. Even if you give the engine more air with the bigger AFM, logically, you would still be pig rich because the new, larger injectors are still being held open for the same length of time (duration) as the smaller stock injectors.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Yea i just bought a 57 trim from driftmotion, big aaron is a good man and a cool guy to work with and hey if you got the money a good upgrade from driftmotion is there 3 inch downpipe its 200 bucks and will give you some feel to the 57trim ;)

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
boostcraver;1644667 said:
Ok, since the comments on the Lex AFM/550 combo seem to keep coming, and since it was suggested that I don't know much about our cars (having owned 3 of them), let me take a minute to ask for a little guidance and/or further explanation of the inner workings of the TCCS. AS I understand it, in the world of computer controlled devices and systems, when you change a given value (such as the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders) you have to tell the control module what to do with the new value or it goes all screwy. Even if you give the engine more air with the bigger AFM, logically, you would still be pig rich because the new, larger injectors are still being held open for the same length of time (duration) as the smaller stock injectors.

Think about it like this, the lex afm is about 25% larger then the factory AFM, therefore at any given airflow amount the LEXUS AFM will read 25% LESS flow then the factory AFM. The ECU takes this signal and determines how much Fuel the car now needs. With the LEXUS AFM installed, the ECU will compute an injector duration value approximately 25% less than then an all stock AFM/ECU. If you had the LEX AFM and 440cc injectors you would now be receiving 25% less fuel then what the computer calculated and wants. When you upgrade the injectors to 550cc (approximately 25% larger then the stock 440's) you now are supplying the same amount of fuel as stock, just with a lower injector duration. Make sense?

The TCCS then takes to fine tuning the fuel curve using many engine parameters and sensors o2 being a main one. My car runs perfect A/F's on the highway, and mid to low tens under 17 lbs of boost using just a LEX/550 setup and no tuning. Been this way for about 12k miles.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
boostcraver;1644667 said:
You dont understand how TCCS works. Logic means nothing if you dont understand how things work. The world was once "logically" the center of the universe and was flat/square because the information at the time...... But we know better today..... Search man, search. Upper right corner ..... The ecu works well with 550's and lex.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
supradjza80;1644691 said:
Think about it like this, the lex afm is about 25% larger then the factory AFM, therefore at any given airflow amount the LEXUS AFM will read 25% LESS flow then the factory AFM. The ECU takes this signal and determines how much Fuel the car now needs. With the LEXUS AFM installed, the ECU will compute an injector duration value approximately 25% less than then an all stock AFM/ECU. If you had the LEX AFM and 440cc injectors you would now be receiving 25% less fuel then what the computer calculated and wants. When you upgrade the injectors to 550cc (approximately 25% larger then the stock 440's) you now are supplying the same amount of fuel as stock, just with a lower injector duration. Make sense?

The TCCS then takes to fine tuning the fuel curve using many engine parameters and sensors o2 being a main one. My car runs perfect A/F's on the highway, and mid to low tens under 17 lbs of boost using just a LEX/550 setup and no tuning. Been this way for about 12k miles.

Ok, I see. I didn't know of the adaptability of the system. It does very much make sense NOW :) I thank you for your explanation of how it works. I have tried read thru the TCCS sticky thread, but it was a little too technically intense for me to be able to grasp. I only have a rudimentary understanding of what it takes to tune a vehicle as it is, but that thread was made for the advanced class! LOL! Guess I just needed it in terms I could understand.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

bountykilla0118;1644748 said:
You dont understand how TCCS works. Logic means nothing if you dont understand how things work. The world was once "logically" the center of the universe and was flat/square because the information at the time...... But we know better today..... Search man, search. Upper right corner ..... The ecu works well with 550's and lex.

Touche on the logic, that's just how my mind works I guess. Maybe that's why I understand all things mechanical with alot more ease than something abstract and intangible like how the TCCS works.

Last edited: