#4 main bearing cap "stuck"

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Just finishing up the teardown on a JDM 7mgte. I got to the main bearing
caps to remove the crank and cap #4 (the one with the thrust washer) refused to come loose.
(yes the bolts are out). I don't want to pound it or risk stricking the crank etc.
Whats the best way to disloge this thing. It is almost ready to go to the machine shop.
All wear items will be replaced, oil pump, bearings rings, seals, mhg with studs
etc,
Any tips??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Drop the bolts back in then pull them 3/4 out of the cap squeeze them together and rock the cap back and forth using the bolts as leverage while pulling upwards gently and it should pop off!

evil_shenron

Aug 12, 2005
santa maria
i had the same problem #4 cap was stuck and it was the only thing holdin down the crank. so i gently pulled up the crank and it came off. i dont know if thats safe but i know my crank and cap came out safely

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Sweet! That's the same method I have, Ian.
Good to know that I figured that out myself, and you've been building engines for a long time and that's how you do it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Eric: If they're a loose fit ya have troubles ;)!

Kurt: Yep been doing that way all my engine building life not sure if anyone showed me or like you I just did it that was cos it works!

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
IJ. said:
Drop the bolts back in then pull them 3/4 out of the cap squeeze them together and rock the cap back and forth using the bolts as leverage while pulling upwards gently and it should pop off!

That worked fine with the other caps but the #4 is blocked in by the counter
weights which will make it hard to get to. Also the the dip stick guide is in the way---

Will try lifting the crank see what happens.

Timmer

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Wayne G. said:
That worked fine with the other caps but the #4 is blocked in by the counter
weights which will make it hard to get to. Also the the dip stick guide is in the way---

Will try lifting the crank see what happens.

Well since number 4 has the thrust washers, I find a piece of wood and a light hammer, tapping on both ends of the cap lightly helpes to free it. Then use the method mentioned above to finish the job.