4 door supra...

waddup sm. im super new here. i just bought a 89 cressida and im planning to drop a 2j kinda stuck between the r154 and the v160...here are some pix of the project. oh yeah, by the way my name's craig

p1100761_1.jpg

p1100761_2.jpg

p1100761_3.jpg

p1100761_4.jpg

p1100761_5.jpg

p1100761_6.jpg

p1100761_7.jpg

i know i know it's a cress but when im finished it's gonna be a beast:evil2:

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
there is a big price difference between the r154 and the v160.
interior looks great, i really like the invisible front seats, they go good with the rear leather. i think you have a good plan of attack and now you just have to execute. i like the idea of the 4 door "family" car that is a sleeper. i think my first choice would be the IS300, but a clean cressida for the right price would be great too.
best of luck to you sir, i will be watching your build if you make a thread.

noah89t;1100931 said:
there is a big price difference between the r154 and the v160.
interior looks great, i really like the invisible front seats, they go good with the rear leather. i think you have a good plan of attack and now you just have to execute. i like the idea of the 4 door "family" car that is a sleeper. i think my first choice would be the IS300, but a clean cressida for the right price would be great too.
best of luck to you sir, i will be watching your build if you make a thread.

thanks...yeah that's exactly what i thought when i thought about the cress. i was going to buy a 86 190e but decided to go with the cressida.

myothersupra

Jun 19, 2008
Greater New Orleans Area
It's definitely a car almost noone would suspect of being really fast and it's also a car you don't see on the roads very often anymore since most of 'em suffered BHG's between 60k and 120k miles tops just like the Supras and by then they were old enough that most owners gave up on 'em unfortunately...

A buddy's mother-in-law bought one new, when it got older she gave it to one of his brother-in-laws, it blew the head gasket, they "got it fixed", it kept blowing coolant hoses randomly for a few more years then started running bad, now I suspect the timing belt's stripped and the head gasket's screwed again because it was running hot at random and now it spins over but won't idle and they've lost interest because the a/c doesn't work so it's parked in their back yard where it's been sitting for several years... It's been tempting to try to get it from them so I can replace the head gasket and timing belt to get it back on the road but the paint's screwed, the velour interior's faded, the front corner lenses are broken, and I forget what else, and I've got too many projects already...

Just be sure you deal with the wimpy stock Cressida brakes to go with all that extra power because they aren't anywhere near as big as even the stock MkIII brakes at all but at least it's all wheel disc iirc.

I think the R154 would be a more affordable choice, would require a lot less work, and unless you're shooting for crazy high power it should hold up just fine with a good clutch. The V160 would be stronger but probably overkill.

Good luck with it! :)

myothersupra;1101139 said:
It's definitely a car almost noone would suspect of being really fast and it's also a car you don't see on the roads very often anymore since most of 'em suffered BHG's between 60k and 120k miles tops just like the Supras and by then they were old enough that most owners gave up on 'em unfortunately...

A buddy's mother-in-law bought one new, when it got older she gave it to one of his brother-in-laws, it blew the head gasket, they "got it fixed", it kept blowing coolant hoses randomly for a few more years then started running bad, now I suspect the timing belt's stripped and the head gasket's screwed again because it was running hot at random and now it spins over but won't idle and they've lost interest because the a/c doesn't work so it's parked in their back yard where it's been sitting for several years... It's been tempting to try to get it from them so I can replace the head gasket and timing belt to get it back on the road but the paint's screwed, the velour interior's faded, the front corner lenses are broken, and I forget what else, and I've got too many projects already...

Just be sure you deal with the wimpy stock Cressida brakes to go with all that extra power because they aren't anywhere near as big as even the stock MkIII brakes at all but at least it's all wheel disc iirc.

I think the R154 would be a more affordable choice, would require a lot less work, and unless you're shooting for crazy high power it should hold up just fine with a good clutch. The V160 would be stronger but probably overkill.

Good luck with it! :)

lol, it's funny you say that about the brakes...a friend of mine saw the brakes and laughed so hard. then he proceeded to call it a death sled. i plan on using some 97 ls400 brakes 4pot. and some coilover suspension.

myothersupra

Jun 19, 2008
Greater New Orleans Area
Are the LS brakes really that much bigger?
I remember the early LS400's had wimpy brakes and they even had the Cressida wheels on 'em for the first few model years and I know they did a brakes upgrade to the LS within the first 2-3 model years but was it really that much bigger, like even compared to a MkIII Supra's stock brakes?

myothersupra;1101225 said:
Are the LS brakes really that much bigger?
I remember the early LS400's had wimpy brakes and they even had the Cressida wheels on 'em for the first few model years and I know they did a brakes upgrade to the LS within the first 2-3 model years but was it really that much bigger, like even compared to a MkIII Supra's stock brakes?

actually the later year Ls400's calipers are comparable to the mk4 supra brakes. just relatively lighter in comparison. the guys with the n/a mk4's actually use the Ls400 brakes as a mandatory mod when going NA-T.