3rd valve cover, needed?

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Hey all. Just a quick Q. How many people run with no middle valve cover (spark plug cover)? It just Im so freaking over my plugs swimming in oil I want to try with out it (when it goes back together). I search and found all the other tricks, going with shaeffs rtv round the hole area.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The 3rd gasket it there to keep debri out of the valley and spark plug holes. It does not keep oil out. The oil is coming from one or both of the valve covers. Replace those gaskets per other threads, and you'll eliminate the oil.:icon_razz

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Thanks guys. I know it doesn't stop the oil but it kinda just sit a fraction under the valve cover gaskets. Was thinking this may have been the cause of the leak? maybe? But yeah im just going to stick with the 30mm 10mm hex bolts, gripper washers, RTV sealant and should be sweet.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I ran without one for a few months..... Suprasport carries a nice polished piece that looks much better and is spaced away from the valve covers some.... That is what I have now..

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Hmmm....I've seen two oil leaks from loose fittings on the third cover. Those holes open right into the valve train you know. There is no pressure there but oil can migrate up the threads. Both times the leaks were what the owner thought was valve cover leaks but when he replaced the gaskets it didn't help. I've never had any cover leaks but I always reseal/replace the third cover. From all the cover leaking complaints I've read about I wonder how many are suffering the same issue.

It's why the third cover has rubberized seal areas around the holes for the 14mm hex plugs. You can teflon tape the plugs once around the top or run a very small bead of RTV around the cover seal areas (both sides) if your cover is old. Go easy though, you don't want tape or cured RTV getting into the head next time you remove the fittings.

I'd stick with using the cover to locate the plug wires. If you choose to run without it then at least seal the 14mm hex plugs. You can also use O rings as there is a groove machined in them that makes this method easy.