Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
How do I get in on the testing?
I am up and running again.

Otherwise I am going MS3 Pro Ultimate Standalone.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I don't consider beta testing for 3 years beta testing. I call it you guys got the first batch but no one has done anything since :(

I've PM and emailed 3P with no response.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah its true, this project has gone too slow. My day job became a big time suck plus family commitments put a dent in things for the last few years. With one kid now in college this may be a good time to see what can be done.

I do have parts on hand to make 25 boards which is a good thing because a lot of the 5V ICs are getting hard to find. What I don't have is boards because I need to finish the CAD for the rev 2 design.

I have been running one of the ECUs in my daily driver 7MGTE for 5 years now. Been as reliable as stock and is using the Lex AFM and stock 440s with the Lexus software calibration so drivability is perfect. It has passed Cali smog test a couple of times now with no issues. My Blitz SBC is set to 0.9 bar and that is as high as I can go without a fairly big software mod because at 0.9 bar the 16 bit load variable is maxed out.

My goal has always been to offer the ECU with the Lex AFM and Bosch EV14 injectors. I've already written the code that can use modern injector cal parameters and so there are just a few missing pieces to make this the best option for the 7M. As I write this I can feel my energy level going up.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Perhaps to keep the energy level on the rise, I too have been running the 3P ECU in my car for the last two years. I'm also running the Lexus AFM with software calibration but with RC 550 cc/min injectors (and many other modifications). The car runs flawlessly, to the point that I can't remember the last time I had the laptop hooked up. And that is exactly the point of this project.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
So 13psi is a hard cut with the current setup.

Is everything about the fueling / timing / calibration tables accessible and able to be modified?

Pi - How can I get the hardware / software to get this working on my 87'?

What work remains to be done besides getting new boards made?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hmm, seems like we lost a bunch of recent posts in the server switch over. A quick update, I should have the CAD for the production board done this weekend. It is very close.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Shooting for ~350 hp initially.
Nothing too crazy.
My goals are reliability as I plan to drive it daily once everything is completed. (weather permitting of course)
The focus will be drive ability - usable power, not a huge useless peak of HP @ 6000RPM.

Currently the injectors are 550 RC's paired to a Lexus AFM.
Have not yet calculated or tested the boost levels needed with my current turbo.
~14psi should flow enough CFM's to reach my target, but that has yet to be determined.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Hi 3p, amazing work on this project mate. Well over my head but I can respect and appreciate the knowledge and work you've put in.

Having seen the maps, how do you think the stock GTE ecu would go running a GE? Obviously there will still be a tune for vacuum, just curious if you think it would be close enough to run a high comp NA motor?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The GTE ecu requires the Karmen-vortex AFM and waste fire ignition and corresponding wiring harness of the GTE engine. If you have a GE with a distributor ignition and flapper style AFM then you will need the GE version of the ECU. Besides, I think the ignition timing in the GTE ecu would not be appropriate for the GE, as it assumes a lower compression ratio.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
@Pirate, you are right at the limit of where the current ECU runs out of load. It is trivial to do what Techtom did and just delete the fuel cut completely, but to me that is not acceptable. I think you are a good candidate for the revised code that will double the load.... but I need to write it first!

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I would be interested as well. I am currently running a 57 trim with denso drop in 660cc injectors on a maft-pro. If your next revision could accommodate this I would love to switch back to a Lexus AFM from speed density and drop the maft pro.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
@Pirate, you are right at the limit of where the current ECU runs out of load. It is trivial to do what Techtom did and just delete the fuel cut completely, but to me that is not acceptable. I think you are a good candidate for the revised code that will double the load.... but I need to write it first!

Sounds good.
Yeah from what I have been reading the hard cuts start happening right around these levels.
Then people start tricking the ECU to get past it and that sounds like a bad method to achieve the goal.

I have played around with some Subie ECU remapping in the past, those guys have it easy compared to these 1980's Toyota ECU's!

So are you expanding the memory with external IC's and enlarging the tables that way?
I am trying to catch up on what had already been done on this project, I am way behind. :D

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
The GTE ecu requires the Karmen-vortex AFM and waste fire ignition and corresponding wiring harness of the GTE engine. If you have a GE with a distributor ignition and flapper style AFM then you will need the GE version of the ECU. Besides, I think the ignition timing in the GTE ecu would not be appropriate for the GE, as it assumes a lower compression ratio.

Yes exactly, I'm trying to gain waste spark and the KV maf (plus the larger injectors), that's the whole reason to consider the GTE ecu.
It would be a stepping stone to get the car running and registered before installing an aftermarket ecu. Standard ecus are much easier to get passed here, no smog tests if it's all "stock"

So you would think the timing map would be more aggressive in the GTE ecu compared with the GE?
Obviously I can adjust base timing at the CAS, I'm curious about how the rest of the map would look, do they throw lots of advance in to bring it up on boost?
I would expect that even on the GE ecu I'll have to pull a lot of base timing to keep it from pinging under load at 12.4:1CR, just not sure how the GTE would go in that regard.

rolla03

Jun 6, 2017
METRO MANILA
hi need help making the tccs reader? checked out the schematics and seemed like it is a double sided board. can anyone pm me photos of the finished tccs reader ? also parts list.

thanks

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
M0ar updates, I'd like to get something running on my 91. Which is currently stock except for DP/Catback. I have a BOSS JR turbo waiting to go on, and waiting for more boost. I'm planning on using an Emanage ultimate as my stepping stone if this never happens as I delete the AFM and use a map sensor and map the map volts to HZ for the AFM if I go that route. At worse I can clamp the stock AFM and use a map based fueling solution for anything above the load clamp.