300 zx

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Just looking for some opinions or experience. I might be interested in getting a 1993 300zx. N/A 2+2 5spd with T-tops. Nothing crazy, Its got some primered spots where it looks like body work was done (so I will need to repaint it) and the Tranny needs to be replaced. Overall the body is in good condition though, no major dents. Thats about all I know for now and that he wants $1000. Im either looking for this to be my little bro's first car or reselling it or something. I might just keep it cause I graduate in a year. Who knows.

But what do you guys think? Do they suck to work on? would a N/A 4 seater sell for crap? Would I be wasting my time? Whatever. What do you think

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Hard to work on,

but if you want something nice and fun to drive just tune it up real well and give it to your bro. I have a few freinds with that car and they dont usually have to deal with much.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Buy it regardless if you keep it or not. A 93' 5spd, turbo or not, WILL fetch more than $1000 so you will make profit I guarantee it dude.
eric

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
it might be a good investment...a nice DD, except for the hard to work on part, i remember working on my friends z32, that shit was a bitch...theres no space in that engine bay.
I love the look of it though and they have cool features...atleast the turbo one does...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
hot cars. look good with t tops. reliable. good pros but cons overweigh them...
slow
expensive maintenance
labor intensive car
pig on gas
sometimes they can be marked up quite a bit.
but id still say go for it. if shit breaks it breaks. thats life.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
+1 on tight as hell engine bay. Just expect to have plenty of busted knuckles working on those man. But even with the need of a tranny I say go for it, you could definitely at the very least flip it for a profit if not make a decen dd out of it

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I had a Z31 & loved it. I had some friends that had Z32's & they complained about the motors being shoehorned in, but they can be fast & they do havr a smooth ride.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Anyone happen to know how hard it is to replace a tranny? I wouldnt think it would be too hard.

rakkasan: Yea, I love Z31's. My older brother has a 88 N/A.

I also found out that the owner doesnt know of anyhting other then the paint and tranny that is bad. Its also from a friend of my brothers so I know I can trust him. Im gonna get more pictures soon so Ill see more. I hope someone doesnt pick this up before I get the chance. Im probably going out wednesday to check it out.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IIRC, you have to pull the motor to get the tranny out. I'm just going off of what I remember being told, so I could be wrong.

With that said, I would pull the motor anyway & replace all the vacuum & coolant hoses since you can't reach them with the motor in the car.

My 2 PSI

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Supraofdoom: Are you being serious or sarcastic about not asking you how? I understand that N/A dont realy have the value or arent nearly as fast, but im not looking for a fast car. First off, I personally have a turbo supra that is fast enough for me and that I will continue to make faster. Second, I would never trust my little brother with a TT 300zx. Is there any other reason why you wouldnt buy a N/A besides the fact that it is slower and not as valuable?

Thats good advice Rakkasan. Ill probably do that. Im obviously gonna join the 300zx forums and learn up on them, but does anyone happen to know typical things that should be done if I pull the motor. Any other major things that should be changed?

N

NDBoost

as on any car you buy, if your going to pull the motor to replace hoses etc it wouldnt be a bad idea to replace seals and gaskets as well.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Alright, bought the car. Just gotta get it towed here and start tearing apart. Thing was that it ended up being auto, not 5spd. The engine started up instantly and sounded perfectly smooth. body needs a little work but nothing major.

The problem with the tranny is that when you put it into gear it doesnt move. It actually moved a little when I put it in reverse and reved it, but I didnt try to drive it. He said when he first got it he pulled it up and down his drive way a few times. The reason we put it in reverse is cause it makes a whining noise at idle, almost like power steering but it goes away when you put it in gear. Sounds like a torque converter to me?