3 Mishi Radiators in a year, all failed the same way; fan blade impact (anyone else?)

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
Heat is deffinetly not an issue up here in seattle.I do see where the clutch fan could be more reliable.In the last 8 years ive only had one electric fan fail and these were purchased used from the local pick and pull.Ive allways ran twin electric fans for additional cooling when racing auto x.If one fan was too stop working there is the other one there too get by until repair.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
tomsupra8683;1824311 said:
The electric fan dosn't have too run at all when the car is at speed and ususally dosn't put holes in the radiator.Less rotating mass on the engine and yes i get the alternator may cause a little more drag.Anyone have any real proof of a clutch fan being more effecient than electric fans im curious to see that.I dont think ive seen a clutch fan on a modern rwd car lately.

My dad was absolutely sure that clutch fans rob power and that e-fans run on pixie dust, so he converted his 3.4L T100 from clutch to a thermal-switch e-fan. He drove it on his usual, daily mostly-highway commute for one month.

It got quite a few MPG's less, he scratched his head, and then he put it back the way it was.

My theory: When it's off, the air rushing through the grille still turns the e-fan, and the electric motor (well, it's bearings) is gonna naturally resist. On the clutch setup, the clutch is slipping but not completely so it'll turn the fan and not provide too much drag to the air.