#3 and 4 cylinder not firing!

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
All,
Went to try to Dyno my car for a second time, the last failed because an inoperative fuel system. This time after fixing the fuel and adding a Stinger standalone and flashing a base map to get it going, I find that my #3 and 4 cylinders are not firing at all. I'm also building about 8 psi boost in Neutral and no load.

I'm assuming the boost is coming from the engine having to absorb the load from those two no firing cyl, but as for a cause? Ignitor maybe? I do have good fuel.. Any help would be appreciated..

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Come on 1j gurus, Mike is a good guy and I wish I could help him. I am going to go next week to the dyno that has his car and let them try my igniter to see if it helps any. Other than that, I'm useless. Hopefully some of the smart guys can chime in on here to help him out. Good luck Mike,

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Hey Jay,
Thanks for taking the time to talk with me yesterday.. yeah Kelli's still at Blakes, I'm gonna try to get back over there sometime next week. I've got a Dr. appt Tues but Wed and Thur I'm free.

If you go either of those days let me know..

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
macjac69;1041286 said:
Hey Jay,
Thanks for taking the time to talk with me yesterday.. yeah Kelli's still at Blakes, I'm gonna try to get back over there sometime next week. I've got a Dr. appt Tues but Wed and Thur I'm free.

I will go thursday for sure if you can make it. I should have enough miles on my car by then to have it dyno'd and I will film both of ours. I will also see if George can make it to dyno his.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
macjac69;1041286 said:
Hey Jay,

Mike, you can call me anytime. I'm not ever to busy to talk supra.......:biglaugh:

I will go thursday for sure if you can make it. I should have enough miles on my car by then to have it dyno'd and I will film both of ours. I will also see if George can make it to dyno his.

I just got off the phone with George and he said next thursday is perfect for him.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Possible causes:

-Bad wiring between ECU and ignitor
-Bad ignitor (although unlikely)
-Bad wiring between ignitor and coil packs (check those connectors on the coil packs! Cracks, or no locking clips, you should replace them all)
-Bad coil packs (although I doubt it)
-Bad spark plugs
-Sticky fuel injectors flooding cylinder
-Bad wiring to injectors causing problem stated above

You say you have a stinger in there now. Does it monitor the ignitor line back to the ecu, which tells the ecu if it fired or not?

If I had to guess, I would look at the injectors first.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
annoyingrob;1041672 said:
Possible causes:

-Bad wiring between ECU and ignitor
-Bad ignitor (although unlikely)
-Bad wiring between ignitor and coil packs (check those connectors on the coil packs! Cracks, or no locking clips, you should replace them all)
-Bad coil packs (although I doubt it)
-Bad spark plugs
-Sticky fuel injectors flooding cylinder
-Bad wiring to injectors causing problem stated above

You say you have a stinger in there now. Does it monitor the ignitor line back to the ecu, which tells the ecu if it fired or not?

If I had to guess, I would look at the injectors first.

I'm guessing bad injectors as well or bad wiring ???

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I may have my stock injectors Mike, but I'll have to look and see. I doubt you're on stock injectors though.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
that stock base map is crap. my car ran all fucked up on that map. i had my tuner just do his own thing from scratch. i would check you spark plugs and see if they're fouled. and if so change them out and see if that helps. then check and see how rich the car is running. also what plugs are you running? that could be part of the cause as well.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
#3 and #4 arent' firing at all. No matter which plugs he has in there, they would at least fire. It's got to definately have somthing to do with the wiring of the coilpacks, or wiring into the ecu. The problem is tracing it down. Hopefully Blake (tuner) will get a chance to track it down sometime this week.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Is the cyl getting fuel? Is it getting spark? Check for those 2 things, as it will narrow down the possibilities.

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Man what a day I've been flying heat casualties the last two days in a row. I know the wirng at the coilpacks is not getting fire. If I had to guess I'd say wiring issue. I didn't put the Stinger in so I don't know. Jay I've got 540's in there. The next time I'm over there I'll have to try to look at it. It's about a 2.5 hour drive.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
We found out today by trying my ignitor that it isn't his ignitor. We then installed my stinger harness onto his car and it cleared the problem right up. I'm going to take his wiring harness and compare it to mine and see if I can find a difference in the wiring of the two. Hopefully it will be a simple fix so Mike can get his car back on the road. Good luck Mike.

Thanks for your help today.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
He hasn't even dyno'd it yet George. We did find the problem though and hopefully in about a week we can try to tune it again.

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Sorry for not keeping up with my own thread!! Yea hopefully we've got the problem ironed out. The next hurdle will be the dyno and knowing my luck it'll be something else wrong there.. I started this build in April of last year and haven't been able to enjoy the car not one bit yet..

I hope the next two weeks brings about a change. Jay maybe after we get our cars running maybe we can get a summer midsouth meet and George you can come too..LOL

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
As previously stated all did not go well, I did get the car tuned but only at 13 pounds of boost, when more boost was applied fuel pressure fell off, there are several possible causes for this but until I get it fixed well no high boost... and from all indications she's ready for it....

Dyno #'s 310HP 290TQ @13psi

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
I've gotta get some parts, drop the tank to verify I've got a walbro at all which I'm sure I do but.... I get weekends off but just not this weekend!!
Where are you located now I'm in Hattiesburg..