3.58 Ring and Pinion

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey guys, I have 2jz, th400 swapped mk3, and currently running a 3.91 diff gear set. Its a bit much for the hiway, so im looking to swap it out if possible. I remember awhile back that weir performance was making a 3.58 gear set, but after contacting them they said they didn't have any left, and weren't sure when/if they were getting anymore in.

Anyone know anyone else making a 3.58 gear set? Or if it was available from a different Toyota?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There is nothing to go taller. You can swap the whole housing and do some cutting and welding, that is it. The aftermarket doesn't go taller. This includes Jawgear, unless they just don't post it online. I was looking for a 3.5ish myself.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There is nothing in another diff that has the same size ring and pinion that can be swapped in ?? I might be doing the ford 9" IRS swap sooner then I thought.....

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've looked into the 8.8 as well, and is definitely an option. I'm also looking at swapping in an mk4 auto TT diff as well. They have a huge range of gears available, and I could use off the shelf axles. The only problem is finding parts locally at a reasonable price.

I have a 9" housing sitting in my garage that I bought to look at what it would take to make it into an IRS housing. After looking at IJ's setup, its definitely do-able, but the price is up there for all the custom stub shafts and axles I would need to make. Not to mention all the added time of making those components, versus just swapping in an existing IRS.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Jaws had a 3.42 at one time but I don't think they have it anymore, I've got a th350 swap and 70 on the highway is like 4000 rpm. I'd love a taller rear

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jeff Lange;1855645 said:
41201-80125 is the Toyota 3.58 gearset.

Jeff

What size is the ring and pinion, what is it from, and lastly like Orion said, does it work? If so, that would be great news for me, and anyone with the GM trans.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
It's a G-series/F20/FD20 8-inch/205mm ring and pinion set, it was used in a few things, including, but not limited to, the JCE10 IS300 in Europe. It is not sold in North America, you'd need to bring one in from overseas. The pinion seal that comes with the set will not fit the older pumpkin in the A70 though, so you'll need to get that separately.

It was also used in the JZS155 Crown/Crown Majesta, and the GSE20 IS250 6MT.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember an even taller gearset existing at some point as well. Somewhere between 2.9 and 3.4, I believe I can find a part number for a 2.9 set and maybe for some other magical gearset. I'll look into that at some point maybe.

Also a question, I've never done it, but has anyone tried using a 4x4 R&P in a Supra pumpkin? I know the Truck/4Runner guys like to use the A70 LSD in their trucks, but it requires some finagling with one side truck bearing and one side Supra bearing to get it in there without machining. I would assume there are some offset issues with doing that, but I know there are some other G-series gearsets for trucks in ratios people may be interested in. Just a thought if someone has tried it.

Jeff

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I was looking into using a truck spool and came across all of that stuff about the a70 LSD in their case. I am wondering if the inverse would work in ours.

Something tells me that the toyota pricing on that gearset would be in the 300ish range. Apparently, weir can source a 3.54 for our cars, wonder if it is the same one.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've already talked to weir, they no longer sell the 3.58 gear set. I am going to chat with my toyota dealer next week to see if they can get that gearset in for me, and what the pricing would be.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff Lange;1855898 said:
Also a question...

Jeff
Jeff Lange doesn't ask questions, Jeff Lange only has answers... throwing me off here man. :p

Good info though.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Bringing back the dead since I'm interested in a 3.58 too.

Talked to a gentleman a few mins ago and he did confirm that the 3.58 set is no longer available but they are working on something. It's not guaranteed but he asked me to check back with him around mid Jan 2013. I also asked about how much would we need to get a group buy going but the number is kinda high.