3" 1jz downpipe ?

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Hey sorry I'm a newbie to the 1jz, on just wondering how many of you are running a full 3" pd off of your stock twins? Did you have to have it made custom or can you buy one that will fit?

Is the mkiv dp's interchangeable to the 1jz's? When I get my 1jz id like to run full 3" but is 3" to much for the 1jz? Thanks guys in advance. BTW I did search but I only found that somebody had a custom SS 2.5" made.

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
why dont you just wait for BIC to make one, he'll probably have the Y-pipe to go with it.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have been talking about it for about that long too, so it's about time to do it.

Would you rather have a mild steel dp at a awesome price or a full stainless one at a great price? How many people are interested in buying one of these? Keep in mind that you can't see much of the dp when it is installed, and the mild steel will be either aluminized or high-temp painted so it will not rust.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
bigaaron said:
I have been talking about it for about that long too, so it's about time to do it.

Would you rather have a mild steel dp at a awesome price or a full stainless one at a great price? How many people are interested in buying one of these? Keep in mind that you can't see much of the dp when it is installed, and the mild steel will be either aluminized or high-temp painted so it will not rust.

option for both? what kind of money are we talking about here? 935motorsports has a y-pipe/DP for under $300, right?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Mild steel for less then $150. Full stainless for less then $200.

And btw, that y pipe is great....until you see how much work it is to install! With the engine in the car (or out of the car) removing the turbos is a real bitch. Once you took them off you might as well throw a single on there.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
bigaaron said:
Mild steel for less then $150. Full stainless for less then $200.

And btw, that y pipe is great....until you see how much work it is to install! With the engine in the car (or out of the car) removing the turbos is a real bitch. Once you took them off you might as well throw a single on there.

so no y-pipe, just the DP? Is the y-pipe a huge restriction?

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
It's a big restriction, but what Aaron is saying that if you are going to go through the hell to replace the thing, you almost might as well go single. It's apparently a PITA to remove and install, especially with the engine in the car.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
BIC performance now offers a 3" mild steel downpipe for the 1JZ, sorry no Y pipe though, that is way to much work for the money people are willing to pay. Also, I now make a bolt on 3.5" cat back exhaust !!!!

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
We make 3" downpipes as well, so as you can see there are plenty of options. We also get HKS downpipes now and then.

The thread is so old though, it should be restarted.

Y pipes are really only good for engine swaps. Trying to install one after the engine is in, is a real pain.

We stock the Y pipes for 300 shipped.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Anybody know for sure what the power difference is between a y-pipe/downpipe upgrade...and just a downpipe...I got a pretty good deal on just a 3" downpipe to mate to the stock y-pipe. It probably wouldn't be worth my while to purchase a y-pipe/downpipe combo when I already have this downpipe.