2JZGTE VVT-I torque?

Getting ready to swap in 2JZGTE VVTI and i was under the assumption that it had the same amount as TQ as non VVTI at 315.
But as i been looking around people are saying that it came with 338tq. Anyone heard or can confirm this? besides the wiring why arent more people doing the VVTI swap?
Having Dr tweak do my plug and play harness so it should go rather smoothly

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If wikipedia is to be believed, there was a bit of an increase in torque, at least on the 1j:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine

However, the real appeal of vvti isn't in the AMOUNT of torque, but rather in the DELIVERY of it. Sure, a couple thousand rpm doesn't sound important on paper, but in the real world, it makes for a much easier to drive car in most cases.

I was originally going the 2j vvti route, until I found the 1j I ended up buying. If I were to do it all again, I'd stick to my original plan, no doubt there. Until then, however, I'm going to make the very best I can out of the platform I bought into. :)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
te72;1975750 said:
However, the real appeal of vvti isn't in the AMOUNT of torque, but rather in the DELIVERY

Delivery is good. My current 2jzgte vvti setup makes 615 tq at 5000 rpm w/25 lbs of boost.

Last edited:

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
VVTi is such a nice feature.

The 1j got full torque at around 2000-2500 rpms with VVTi... and had full torque at 4500 or so without vvti.