2JZGTE VVT-i On A MKIII

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
I was wondering if anybody has done this set up on a MKIII. I've seen people do 2JZ, 1JZ and 1JZ VVT-i on a MKIII, But I have never seen anybody do the 2JZ VVT-i set up.

Have any of you guys done this or know anybody who has?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Well, if you go past all the fabrication, of which the vast majority of owners here can't do, and don't have the equipment for, there is also the working knowledge of fluid dynamics.

I am not saying there aren't people here than aren't capable, don't have the apptitude,

Variable cam timing is the best thing since sliced bread. A lot of work goes into devolpment when Toyota, Honda, or others release it.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
VVTi is just as easy/hard as any other swap. Just have to get the engine from the right source (preferrably a Supra). The one I had came out of a 99 JDM Supra. The hard part is making sure that you can use it without the drive-by-wire feature and that the ECU does not have the immobilizer option (or that the engine set comes with the ignition key).

testfit1.jpg

Startup video... http://www.geocities.com/g099521/VVTi/frankie.wmv

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
Satan;1298916 said:
VVTi is just as easy/hard as any other swap. Just have to get the engine from the right source (preferrably a Supra). The one I had came out of a 99 JDM Supra. The hard part is making sure that you can use it without the drive-by-wire feature and that the ECU does not have the immobilizer option (or that the engine set comes with the ignition key).

Damn! This is one of my dreams that I wanted to become real. 6spd 2jz-gte.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
No harder than any other 2JZ swap. Mechanically it is bolt in, electrically you need to do about the same modifications as any other 2JZ swap.

People don't do it because non VVT-i ones are more available and cheaper. Plus a lot of people want to modify things and controlling VVT-i at that point becomes more complicated.

Jeff

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Yes! I've heard all kinds of BS about high-HP limits, but have seen something about a 900+ HP VVTi somewhere outside of the US.

The stock ECU is probably good to about 600 HP and I believe that they've used an AEM or other aftermarket ECU that could do the wasted-spark stuff.

It's a pretty-Fing engine in the MKIII. I did not go that route again, because it does cost a little more than the regular 2JZ and the ECU/harness are more availale for the non-VVTi version.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I would much wrather go the ?JZ-anything over any 7M maybe even 1G nea . . . your good keep up the good work a little bit more wiring but when you get there we can help you out anyway.

The VVTI haves better output & economy if left stock take a chance to enjoy it and see how you like it.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
tekdeus;1300110 said:
I've seen a thread or 2 on Supraforums where guys have have had a good tuner dial in the VVTI cam timing with a standalone and shown 500-1000 rpm sooner spool compared to most regular 2JZ's.

So the 2JZ VVT-i on the MKIII is worth it. Has anybody actually seen a MKIII with a 2JZ VVT-i in action? I've only seen a 1JZ VVT-i stock, and man that's that car pull, for being stock that engine has power(On a MKIII).

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Jeff Lange;1299338 said:
No harder than any other 2JZ swap. Mechanically it is bolt in, electrically you need to do about the same modifications as any other 2JZ swap.

People don't do it because non VVT-i ones are more available and cheaper. Plus a lot of people want to modify things and controlling VVT-i at that point becomes more complicated.

Jeff

I totaly agree with what you said.^^^

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I drove mine a little bit and some of the local guys saw it. Ran SMOOOOTH. I may try it again one day.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Satan;1300716 said:
I drove mine a little bit and some of the local guys saw it. Ran SMOOOOTH. I may try it again one day.

I have it on my GS/Aristo and I love it.

But I wonder if it's the same on a MKIII, Smooth wise and does it give it more power since the MKIII is lighter then the Aristo and MKIV .