2jzgte leaking need to know part!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
p1974947_1.jpg

My mechanic says I need the spikey ring. Anyone have a part number or know what its called exactly? Small drops of oil seem to be leaking from it. (cam seals and crankshaft seal were recently done).

Thanks in advance

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The spikey ring is the toothed wheel for the crank sensor. It does not seal oil. The crankshaft front main seal is behind that and if recently done and could have been installed incorrectly.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
I'm buying a new crankshaft main seal as well as he advised. Is the toothed wheel pricey? Thanks again guys <3. Gonna try to get a quote from Elmhurst Toyota.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The toothed wheel is part of the crank gear. That is not a sealing part.

The main seal is the seal and seals against the crankshaft.

DHeath0013

Sep 13, 2010
Virginia
Yes the crank timing belt gear is pricey, I think I remember it being around $200 but I could be wrong. I know for sure that I was very surprised at how much it was. I had to replace mine that had been damaged. I highly doubt that there is any damage on your gear that is causing your crank shaft seal to leak.

X2 on incorrectly installing the crank seal!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The lower timing gear, with trigger wheel (for Crank Position/Angle Sensor) is about $112 new from the forum vendors (Jeff at Champion or Curt at Elmhurst). Used ones are cheap and I've given away a few (but am looking for a spare now - to weld the trigger wheel to the gear permanently).

It is not the problem. The crank main seal needs replacing. Even when done right, the 2J is notorious for popping them off (depending you your PCV system, HP, etc). Although they stay put ~90% of the time, it just sometimes happens.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
So apparently the mechanic was not pointing at the gear. he was trying to show me a small crack on the oil pump in that area.. only leaks oil once it heats up... is this normal? Looks like i gotta find a new oil pump.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
p1975364_1.jpg

Looks pretty worn to me.. my mechanic said to get a new one. What do you guys think?

Also the crack is a hairline crack the camera can barely pick it up.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
DHeath0013;1974990 said:
Yes the crank timing belt gear is pricey, I think I remember it being around $200 but I could be wrong. I know for sure that I was very surprised at how much it was. I had to replace mine that had been damaged. I highly doubt that there is any damage on your gear that is causing your crank shaft seal to leak.

X2 on incorrectly installing the crank seal!
I was quoted $200 for a 1jz gear, ordered a is300 one for $70 and it was the same part.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Your timing gear/trigger wheel is fine. I am really unsure of the "hairline crack" on the oil pump tho. I suppose it's a possibility, but very unlikely to me. Since, everything's taken off to this point, it's not gonna be any more time/effort to replace the pump. The pump alone is about $145 and I have used used ones in the past, for around $45. I have my doubts about the true issue, but looks like you have no choice but to believe/use your mechanic. Good luck!

xzeror;1975364 said:
p1975641_1.jpg

Looks pretty worn to me.. my mechanic said to get a new one. What do you guys think?

Also the crack is a hairline crack the camera can barely pick it up.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Satan;1975641 said:
I have my doubts about the true issue, but looks like you have no choice but to believe/use your mechanic. Good luck!

Me too. That's why he's ignoring my questions about who initialy installed the front main seal. More than likely his mechanic did cause it doesn't sound like he knows much about mechanics. He took it back to his mechanic about the leak. Mechanic sees that the front main seal is faulty for whatever reason. Now the mechanic is drawing at straws to blame something else to get him to pay for another job so he doens't have to perform warranty work for free. Meanwhile, mechanic goes in there and reinstalled the front main seal correctly while getting paid for another job... that's if he performs the other job at all. OP won't even know what's been done once it's covered up. Shady mechanic 101.

Find another mechanic, or learn how to do it yourself. Trust no one.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^and who's to say that the oil is not dripping from the cam seals?

There may be some trustable mechanics out there, but I have not found many and do all of my own work (Christian in Garland TX is the only one I'd let touch my Supra). It is cheaper/reliable in the long run to just do it yourself. With what you'll end up paying this time, you could've bought a decent set of tools for yourself, and some beers for the locals to come share tips/knowledge.

Not only would I call BS, but I'd also make arrangements to get the car to a place where I could put it back together myself (and not pay for the tear-down/diagnosis) Change out all of the fronts seals and put it back together (probably only a couple of hours of work). Done.

FYI... I'll be in Davie (off of 595) for a couple of days in the next couple of weeks. If you can wait, I'll bring my tools and give ya a hand.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Satan;1975643 said:
^^and who's to say that the oil is not dripping from the cam seals?

That is a possibility. There are honest mechanics out there. They're are far and few between though. I've met some along the way, but I wrench myself. I've saved myself thousands of dollars over the years.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
It was spewing oil from the cam seals like all over the engine bay. That's when it first went to him for the cam seals. I was not aware he also replaced the main, which let go a few days after getting it back. (did not use oem main, which I supplied this second time). I ended up using a used oil pump from a buddy, and thereason he said to get a new trigger wheel is because something about how it was always kinda loose/it would spin when its not supposed to.

he's redoing the main free of charge, this is an old friend of my dads and he's a good guy. He's honestly not stealing my money, yesit takes longer but the job gets done. SSometimes when he works on my car he does something minor to fix it and doesn't even charge a thing. Still I give him something, he's never let me down before.

I have done everything in my car, including the engine swap in my own garage. There are just certain things I don't feel comfortable taking on myself.

I would love some help from a fellow supramania member haha. Do you by any chance know how to install and aem truboost?

I also understand you guys don't think he should have to do it again if he installed it the first time himself. That it should've been right afterbthe first time, but he's a trustworthy guy and has been nothing but good for many years to me and my father.

That being said I would only trust him with just maintence and just general jobs. No high performance stuff.

Car is ready he just kept it for an extra day to leave it running and see if it leaked. *fingers crossed*

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
I don't think anything was wrong with the main seal before tbh. But he felt the need to replace it as well. I'm also getting a new timing belt again. As it already began to stretch from the oil and heat.

Edit:

Want to thank both of you for following, I appreciate it guys.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Good deal... Hopefully no more leaking from that area, but did also notice that the outside of the block is looking a bit oily/dirty (which is normal over a long period of time). However, you may want to clean up a bit and eventually take care of anything else, such at the valve cover gaskets, cam seals, etc., which may also be contributing.

Hope to see ya on the road soon!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Satan;1976131 said:
Good deal... Hopefully no more leaking from that area, but did also notice that the outside of the block is looking a bit oily/dirty (which is normal over a long period of time). However, you may want to clean up a bit and eventually take care of anything else, such at the valve cover gaskets, cam seals, etc., which may also be contributing.

Hope to see ya on the road soon!

I replaced the valve cover gaskets and I was going through the mk4 repair manual. If i recall correctly it said I needed to put some FIPG at some areas? I didnt have any and just replaced the seals and bolted it back down.

Had the car back for a few days now. No leaks what so ever. The Engine is filthy, I will clean it up once I get back from vacation.