2JZGE into 87GTE Chassis

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I have already searched the stickies but the information is just too vague and too many cluttering comments.

So I am planning my 2JZGE swap into the 87 MA70 chassis. I am planning to use the stock 2JZGE Wiring Harness and 2JZGE ECU. Does anyone have some information as to what are the minimum required under dash splices from my 2JZGE kick panel harness plugs to the rear of glove box in the 87 MA70 chassis. I am certain this has been done before, I'd like to not reinvent the wheel here if possible.

I am not planning on using ANY 7MGTE electronics at this point. I'd to be able to splice in the 2JZGE, get the car basically running and plan upgrades from there.

I already have access to a MK4 factory service manual. I am locating an MK3 diagrams to identify the roles and part numbers of all those plugs behind the glove box, (besides the ECU)

I am still rebuilding my motor but I'd like to start planning and thinking about this for the weekend

Thanks,
Rich

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
Hey don't do it....it not worth it...Stick with the 7MGTE harness, use the 7MGTE CPS instead of the distributor, and replace the knock sensor from the 7M into the 2j block. Get urself and Piggy back and you are golden. Its too much work to wire into the MA70 harness, save yourself the head ache. I did it that's why I'm saying this.

Oh..just to let you know also the 2jz plusg right in most standalones....so you'll be ok on that end. Goodluck

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^Are you turbo tho?

You could use the 7mge electronics if your staying n/a. The 7mgte ecu will not work well with a n/a engine.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Just sit down and make yourself a wiring diagram of the wires that need to be spliced in. Make sure you have the correct wiring diagrams for the 2jge you have since Toyota likes to change up wiring colors.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
Thanks for the replies guys.... I just finished reassembling the shortblock ( in my build thread) I hope to have the motor/tranny assembly together by Friday to prep an installation soon. But , YES. I will be going turbo once I have the 2JZ installed. I rather not introduce more variables into the mix until I have a running car, so stock 2JZGE distributor and all are remaining till after the swap. Using the 7MGTE harness is out of the question as I have already sold the motor with the harness. I did keep the CPS in case I need it for COP conversion later on down the line. I did also keep all the plugs with about 6" of lead for all the plugs that plug in behind glove box. (except the 7MGTE ECU plugs - those I left on the harness as I knew I would have no need for them)

I figured I will let the 2JZGE ECU control everything that needs to be controlled for engine operations. I'd like to wire this thing in like a standalone, in theory, and let the new ECU run the motor. I assume I will have to tap into the body harness for ignition, ECU power, ground, Engine Relays, and other things I cant think of right now. I am assuming that will somehow plug into all those other misc plugs on the 2JZ harness that accompany the ECU plugs into kick panel.

I am going to real thru TEALs diagrams and draft my own as well. I don't mind the wiring as long as it is possible. I plan on eliminating things lke Cruise, Auto tranny ECU stuff, and other misc items that I will deem TIER-2 inportance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you are going turbo it is useless to wire in the n/a harness and ecu. You should either use a 7mgte ecu/harness/ sensors or go with 2jzgte electronics.

Wiring a n/a ecu/harness into a turbo engine is a waste of time.

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
hvyman;1559981 said:
If you are going turbo it is useless to wire in the n/a harness and ecu. You should either use a 7mgte ecu/harness/ sensors or go with 2jzgte electronics.

Wiring a n/a ecu/harness into a turbo engine is a waste of time.

Yup..told him the same thing. But lets see how nice his build come out. I hope everything works out for him, we'll follow his build and I'm sure if he hit a small snag along the way he'll let use know. Sometime we have to learn for ourselves even when other tell us. I know he's just eager to get the car running, I've been there so i know how he feels....Goodluck Altezza576

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
plugs.jpg

So I just went back outside and removed all the plugs I left behind that did NOT connect to 7MGTE ECU.

So far I have identified...

Yellow M1 plug - 10pin/10pins used
Yellow B4 plug - 3pin/ 2pins used
White B2 plug - 14pin/14pins used
Yellow B1 plug - 22pin/20 pins used.

Both Teals's and the the Supra.NL website do not exactly match the B1 & B2 plugs. Seems I have much more wires than what is documented.

As for the NA harness being useless, I'd rather not debate that as I can simply add on a piggyback ECU as I did on IS300's and NA MK4's and run decent boost. Once I have my car running.... I will deal with adding a turbo :) I gotta take this in steps and not go overboard.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Nippon-teku;1559984 said:
Yup..told him the same thing. But lets see how nice his build come out. I hope everything works out for him, we'll follow his build and I'm sure if he hit a small snag along the way he'll let use know. Sometime we have to learn for ourselves even when other tell us. I know he's just eager to get the car running, I've been there so i know how he feels....Goodluck Altezza576

Trust me I don't doubt you. but I'd rather just get the car running NA first, then go from there. I just haven't has much experience with the MA70 chassis. and NON OBD1 or 2 setups. I guess I will start trying to identify each wire and make a simple excel spreadsheet to match them up to the 2JZGE harness plugs.

Last edited:

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
Altezza576;1559989 said:
plugs.jpg

So I just went back outside and removed all the plugs I left behind that did NOT connect to 7MGTE ECU.

So far I have identified...

Yellow M1 plug - 10pin/10pins used
Yellow B4 plug - 3pin/ 2pins used
White B2 plug - 14pin/14pins used
Yellow B1 plug - 26pin/20 pins used.

Both Teals's and the the Supra.NL website do not exactly match the B1 & B2 plugs. Seems I have much more wires than what is documented.

As for the NA harness being useless, I'd rather not debate that as I can simply add on a piggyback ECU as I did on IS300's and NA MK4's and run decent boost. Once I have my car running.... I will deal with adding a turbo :) I gotta take this in steps and not go overboard.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Trust me I don't doubt you. but I'd rather just get the car running NA first, then go from there. I just haven't has much experience with the MA70 chassis. and NON OBD1 or 2 setups. I guess I will start trying to identify each wire and make a simple excel spreadsheet to match them up to the 2JZGE harness plugs.

I know..that's why I said goodluck. I know how you feel man, I hope you have fun as much as i did.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Actually pretty much all you need to know is on those 2 sites. For one the hac sensor is not needed on 89+ 7m ecu's as its built in.

Sure you can do it as you did to n/a sc's and mk4's but it is not the right way, Your always going to be adding fuel as the n/a ecu will never have enough fuel for a turbo engine. Not to mention the timing is totally different.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
wires1.jpg

Sorting out the wires...... I gotta find homes for 46 wires.

HVYMAN.... you're right.... but I do know (As per DaveH on BoostWerx & SF) that the 2JZGE and 2JZGTE wiring harnesses are 95% identical, except MAP/MAF wiring and some ignition pinouts. but even in my MK4/GTE, I have to add fuel with another Fuel controller to go beyond stock boost levels.

I guess my main concerns will be....

Ignition
Fuel Pump activation
ECU prerequisites
Relay interfaces

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
So I have my motor built and wired up with the OEM 2JZGE harness... I have started identifying the pinouts on the NON-ECU plugs at the end of the harness to match them up to the body plugs in the 87 glove box.

motor.jpg