2jz swap

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
I have a few questions I couldn't find answered.

I plan on swapping in the 2jz-gte.

Is there a difference in the 7M-GE and GTE wiring harnesses? Does it matter which one I use for the connectors when splicing it to the 2jz-gte wiring harness? Should I find a 1jz-gte wiring harness instead to make it easier? I'm not good with the electrical side too much. Is there anyone who can do this for me? I understand it can be expensive, but I'd rather have someone do it right the first time and me not have to screw around.

Do I need a custom driveshaft? (I plan on going with a R154 tranny if that matters). I see people asking this, but I've never seen an answer or found out who/what/where/how on the driveshaft.

Thanks in advance guys :icon_bigg

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
wow bro - looks like you have a big project ahead of you.

You really should spend about a month just looking and learning about the swap so you can get a good feel for it before you jump in head first.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
thagr81_us said:
^Agreed...

I have been researching this project for a couple months now about every chance I get, those are about the only questions I have left to get a straight answer on.

I've been on these boards researching for months now, I just haven't registered/posted until recently.

By the way, what is the point of posting if your not actually helping me with my questions?

Last edited:

thagr81_us

Boost Junkie
Apr 11, 2006
Greenwood, SC
community.webshots.com
I'm just reenforcing the point p5150 made... As for your questions, when you undertake a project like this one you can expect to have numerous custom bits and pieces. About the wiring, from what I read it makes it easier if you use the 1JZ wiring harness. There was a thread about it over at SupraForums.com that went pretty detailed into the wiring. Here's a pretty helpful link that I've come across in the past: http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50 Also I'm pretty sure you could expect to make a custom driveshaft as well... Didn't mean to come off as a douchebag in my short post up there, sorry.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
thagr81_us said:
I'm just reenforcing the point p5150 made... As for your questions, when you undertake a project like this one you can expect to have numerous custom bits and pieces. About the wiring, from what I read it makes it easier if you use the 1JZ wiring harness. There was a thread about it over at SupraForums.com that went pretty detailed into the wiring. Here's a pretty helpful link that I've come across in the past: http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50 Also I'm pretty sure you could expect to make a custom driveshaft as well... Didn't mean to come off as a douchebag in my short post up there, sorry.

No that's alright dude. I guess my ego made me a little defensive myself :icon_razz

I've actually written an email to the guy who has did the write up on supras.nl. He has a custom wiring harness he sells, I think I'm going to buy that. He should be able to tell me what wiring harnesses to send him I guess.

I also asked him about the manual tranny using a custom driveshaft. I'm not sure if he knows yet or not since he used an automatic in his conversion. I think you are right though. I probably do have to get a custom driveshaft. I've seen that 1jzpower has nice driveshafts, I'll have to contact them about it.

All in all everything seems pretty simple. I'm going to go straight for a single turbo and be done with it. Except for the 2jz being a little more expensive, I don't know why more people don't do this swap.

thagr81_us

Boost Junkie
Apr 11, 2006
Greenwood, SC
community.webshots.com
I know what you mean... I guess it's the same reason people do SR20DET swaps into 240SX's compared to swapping in an RB25DET. You can get the engines and stuff for cheaper if you go with a 1JZGTE compared to the 2JZGTE. Reason I choose to go the 2JZ route is because of the aftermarket support here in the States, even though it's more expensive. Good luck with your project and PM what you hear back from the guy as every little bit of additional knowledge is helpful.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
dont waste your time with a stock ecu. You will spend more money in the long run trying to tweak it to work. Just buy an aem and use a 2jz harness.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
FYI. I've also emailed autosportwiring.com to see if they can do a harness. They already do harnesses for the 1JZ swap...

When I actually start doing this, I'm going to do a very detailed write up with pictures, part numbers, links, etc.

The funny thing is I still haven't got the car I've bought for the swap yet...damn paypal is taking forever to clear funds even though the money has been taken out of my bank account. Oh well, atleast I have more time to prepare!

Of course I could always change my mind and just go with the much easier 1jz or even 7m-gte! Those 7m's may have "old technology" but they put out some crazy horsepower when done right.

Last edited:

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I wouldnt buy the kit. You can get a better deal by purchasing the components separately and you will have a better selection for things you want to customize.

The turbo is an old T series turbo. You should put on a GT series because they are more efficient.

The 2JZ heads differ between the NA and TT application. Be sure you order the right manifold.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
p5150 said:
I wouldnt buy the kit. You can get a better deal by purchasing the components separately and you will have a better selection for things you want to customize.

The turbo is an old T series turbo. You should put on a GT series because they are more efficient.

The 2JZ heads differ between the NA and TT application. Be sure you order the right manifold.

After all that, I punked out and am going with the 7M-GTE :icon_razz

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
Good choice, we make power too, and by the time you would have finished a swap for a 2j you could have a pretty strong 7m, i like ll the motors, but i think 7m is a better route due to cost and availiability

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
Thanks for your support guys :icon_bigg

This is a great group of people on here.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
thagr81_us said:
I've noticed that as well since I'm really a newbie on this board as well... Got any plans for the 7M yet or just starting to plan out the project?

Just planning things right now, and acquiring all the pieces for the gte swap. So far I've got the ignitor, wiring harness, and ecu. I'm looking into a couple places to have the engine rebuilt with forged pistions, rods, etc. I'm shooting for about 500rwhp.

Really though, I want this to be an all around car, built from the ground up and done right the first time.