2JZ Swap: OBD2 Port Wireup in a 7M-GTE electrical dash help

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Okay, as some of you know, Seth (sethron71) and I have been working on finishing up my 2JZ swap, and I was doing some research on the Aristo VVTI motor I'm putting in. Since the wiring harness was cut off, the OBD2 port was deleted from the wiring harness when the motor was shipped. I did some searching and found info on 2JZgarage.com on the JOBD OBD2 in the Aristos and found out it can be used similarly to the JDM/USDM OBD2 setups, but I would still need a port underneath my dash to take advantage of it. I found this cable at carplugs.com for $18 as a ready-made necessity, and now I need some sort of wiring diagram to see how it will hook up.

http://www.carplugs.com/Product_view_Cables_3.html

l_obd2_21000.jpg

Here is the info on OBD2 and the 2JZ.

http://www.2jzgarage.com/2013/01/2jzgte-vvti-obd-scanning-and-information/

And here is info on upgrading the round OBD1 port to OBD2 on a MKIV.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?283063-OBD1-to-OBD2-ECU-Upgrade

What I've NOT FOUND is how to connect up the port directly to a MK3 Supra, unless it wires up to the 2JZ's ECU (which I'm guessing it does...). Has anyone attempted this with their swaps yet?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I havn't done it myself but I can tell you that is the wrong cable. The one you have shown plugs into the OBD2 port. You need the other end. The female end.

Something like this one:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/151012379632?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Next you need to attach 4 wires. Not hard.

The four wires are:
SDL(Data)-------Pin2
Ground(Chassis)--Pin4
Ground(ECU)-----Pin5
12+(igniton)-----Pin16

The Chassis ground and 12V ignition are easy enough to find, but for the ECU ground and SDL(data) line I need to find an Aristo VVTI ECU pinout before I can tell you which one fore sure.

What data are you trying to get off of the OBD2/JOBD port?

edit:just saw your new post about the ECU pinout

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ok if that site is accurate then you need to run these wires to the ECU:

OBD2______ECU
Pin2------->F60 pin 11
Pin5------->B2 pin 17

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Been looking at doing the same, but thought my Aristo ECU would be worthless for capturing/displaying the signals, like an ODB2 ECU would. I have a US 6-speed ODB2 ECU that I would like to eventually use (w/MAP ECU), but if the Aristo ECU has anything like that, I'm in...

Baiscally, wanted to use my Android tablet to display guages/signals. Much of the gauges on my dash are useless and figured I'd do a kewl-guy-display, with multiple views/screens.

Let me know how I can help...

-E

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
The Aristo ECU is JOBD with OBD2 compatability. The link in my first post on 2JZGarage shows how to set up Torque Pro Android and a bluetooth OBD2 reader to work with Android devices like a Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1 (which I have). This is why I want to do this.

And the cable pictures is supposed to be the female end, according to carplugs.com. If it isn't I'll have to dig further into their website for one. And I hope it IS only four wires, that would be so much better than trying to wire in an entire bundle to the harness!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
That link shows info for VVTi ECU, not the early Aristo ODB1... Some of them signals/functionality may be the same, but doesn't look like it works for the ODB1 (non VVTi) ECU.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Actually, found my old thread here while revisiting stuff I still need to do on my car. I actually have the non-VVTI Aristo engine instead of the VVTI one, so I'm going to have to dig even deeper to find what I'm looking for. Dammit.