2JZ swap choices

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Yesterday I blew the 7MGTE in my 87. I want to swap in a 2JZ. Should I buy a JDM GTE and wire it into my car keeping the stock twins, or should I buy a GE, use my 7M electronics to run it, and use an aftermarket single turbo. I've searched around and am finding lots of information on both swaps but I need help deciding which path I should take.

MADMA70

Dec 24, 2011
madera
It all depends on how much u are looking to spend I'm going with NA-t swap they really have potential but like rick said 7m electronics can be a PIA I just going to redue my wireing harness and call it a day....

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
I have been doing the same research. Ideally if you go 2j, hunt for a US market engine...the stock twins are way better. If you go the jdm route, convert to a big single setup. That is of course if your dead set on going 2j. The 7m is quite capable and we all know of Duane's insane 1k HP 7m on stock block/crank. It just boils down to what you prefer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I'd rather swap a 2JZGTE so I could lose the AFM and have a front facing intake. I'm just very intimidated by the wiring aspect of that swap. If I'm understanding what I've been reading correctly I need to wire in everything from the mk3 chassis into the 2JZ harness and ECU. Does anyone make a harness for this swap or does it have to be custom?

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
-ChaseBays.com will sell you a brand new one. (~$800)
-Dr.Tweak (Phoenix Tuning) will mate your 7M harness and your 2JZ harness (~$550)
-Personally, if you just take a few moments to understand exactly what is what, you can do it yourself.. (~$100 for connectors/heat shrink)
-I didn't like any of the above, so I ordered 1000ft of wire, pins, seals, plugs, looom, and did it myself.. (~$450)

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
I just recently blew my 7m, and im currently going 1j. But my original intentions were 2jz-geT. My options were 2jz-gte,1jz-gte,1jz-gteVVTI, and of course 2jz-geT. But for the 2jz I couldn't find one with a R154 (no shit.. lol) so that was out cause I wanted to replace my bad r154, with the 1jz vvti it was the front sump, and with the GE-t it was that I was still keeping my old dirty 7m harness, sensors with an AFM which still worked well. But what you really need to do is budget each one out, that's when you can really weigh the differences "personally" haha. I compared the swap prices and the amount of effort for each one and my supposed "gains" which was "JZ sensors are easier to find at lower prices than 7m, also the JZ sensors will be in production longer". In the end I went with the 1jz, i get an R154 with it and later down the road i can easily go 1.5JZ and w.e piggyback/standalone id have would then work and be current with 2jz standards. And I have to say, even with the short amount of time ive had my JZ, working on it is quite a bit easier on a lot of the parts over the 7m (with the exception of twins). Also you'd be surprised how quickly the swap price jumps up. My current 1jz swap is at ~5500 but that's with a single turbo, and lots of various parts/gaskets/bolts and a few essential toys like the speed cut defender and/or possibly boost cut defender).

Anyways, the 2jz-geT would definitely be fun/cost effective. I think you should do it so we have more people to input support for it on the forum. More people need to go 2jz-geT, its pretty cheap considering you can pick up a 2jz-geT block for like 650-850 for decent-good condition ones.

Last edited:

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
They're all good choices, just depends what works out best for you. I'm going the 2jzge-T route. My 7m harness was replaced with a brand new one ~3 years ago so the only old 7m part I'll have is the cps (since ill be using an aem and it's sensors instead of the afm)
If your harness is older or something like your afm or cps isn't working well it would probably be best to go with a gte.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
My harness is older but everything works well. I'm can't see how the NA-T would be cheaper though, when a turbo kit for the GE is ~$1500 on driftmotion. It seems like I could swap in a GTE for less and be more reliable, even though it wouldn't have the performance of the single turbo NA-T.
Thanks for the harness links and info, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
Fixed for more detail.

ifyouaint1sturlast;1824027 said:
-ChaseBays.com will sell you a brand new one. (~$800) << if using stock ecu, if using standalone its 700 or 850 without a core. chasebays is seeming to get very popular, is a vendor. And is almost 100% pnp (if you send in your 7m harness since they cannot get those connectors) there has been a few issues with this harness but sounds like its all getting/got resolved. **I have one**
-Dr.Tweak (Phoenix Tuning) will mate your 7M harness and your 2JZ harness (~$550) A long time vendor and almost everyone has good reviews. although those costs^^ are assuming your JDM,aristo,usdm engine harness is mint and doesn't have broken connectors.. and that whatever motor you get Comes with a harness. otherwise its gonna get mucho expensive. if you are to buy a 2jz harness its anywhere from 500$+ to 1250$ from factory and assuming your connectors are mint* otherwise there is a charge for that.
-Personally, if you just take a few moments to understand exactly what is what, you can do it yourself.. (~$100 for connectors/heat shrink)
-I didn't like any of the above, so I ordered 1000ft of wire, pins, seals, plugs, looom, and did it myself.. (~$450)

If you are a confident individual and are decently savvy in wiring.. you could do #3. I usually do #3 but time the time it takes.. I just don't have anymore.

in the end they are all great choices. I personally would do it myself, and if time wasn't an option send it to chase bays (if u want a fancy or epic harness) or dr. tweak. Go usdm 2jz-gte. more support comes with the best setup. and information is Endless.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
I'm around 4k+ for my 2jzgte swap on stock twins...

2jzge = 500-1000
Manifold = 100-250
Turbo = 500-1000

vs

2jzgte = 2000-2500 in engine alone.
and u still are not sure of the condition of the turbos.

Honestly if my car started out as a turbo 7mgte, na-t is the direction i wouldve taken. I was originally 7mge and just went ahead with the 2jzgte.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I'm also considering a 1JZ swap now. If I can find a rear sump 1JZ it should bolt directly into my car with just new mounts, using the 1jz bellhousing, flywheel, and 7M clutch and R154 right?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
looks good, only thing is the feedback. Although he has 100% its only been from 300 ppl. Looks like a good deal though.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I'm probably going to end up going with the 1JZ because of the price difference. I just need to sell some stuff now to fund the swap.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
sorry if this has been covered but is there a way to run the 7m electronics on the actual 2jzgte? not the ge the gte. i have a custom redone 7m harness and aem ems and want to go 2j id rather use the gte motor instead of the ge if possible, dont want to have to go 2j harness and have to buy a whole new aem ems for it :/