2jz stock twin turbo problems

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
so I just found out today my aristo twins are leaking oil bad on my 1991 supra swap. Just after 10min of running for the for the first time since the swap it has a puddle of oil in the intercooler and I have the stock BOV vented to atmosphere which spewed oil across the heatsheild. So now I'm left with two choices, rebuild stock twins or go single. Of course as always money is a factor and im really leaning toward going single now because of the simplicity, but I want to keep my stock ecu and everything else because im not looking for crazy horsepower ill be glad just to be at the 400hp mark would this be possible. I know Driftmotion rebuild stock twins and upgrades them but if anything I just want the turbos rebuild with metal impellers which is $1475, plus the also sell a turbo kit for the 2jzgte 60-1 turbo kit for $1550 which doesn't sound bad since it includes manifold turbo and accessories, maybe even check the "for sales" and try to piece one together. So im sorry for the cliché question but im just looking for ideas and input as to what I should do and what others would do. also is it possible to remove the stock twins while still in an mk3, or is engine removal necessary? thanks.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
If you plan to go single in the future even if you replace the twins with another set. I say dont waste the time and energy on getting another set of twins or rebuilding these. Take the time now and go single. Remember, even if you go with the DM turbo setup, there is still management and fuel to think of. At the very least you will need management and that will cost more money as well. Ideally you will want to upgrade fuel pump, injectors, FPR...Etc. Even if you take the time and price out "everything" you will need it will still cost you about 20% more then you originally thought as many surprises will arise.

I personally have never removed twins from a 1J or 2J with the engine in the car but I am thinking it could be possible.

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
Ive thought about it and did plan to go the single route. thanks to tax season ill have 2300 to work with. Main reason i want to keep ecu stock is because standalone is about anther 1500 right there and I dont want to have a laptop plugged in all the time and tune it all the time as i want it to be my daily, which is why im only shooting for a modest 400. I beleive it is possible with a piggyback and maybe ill upgrade to the 550's, but im still searching to see if its possible. Ive gone through the whole 2jzgte when i bought it with all new seals even valve stem seals, also i redid all my fuels lines because of varnish but stayed stock size with a mkiv TT fuel pump and had the injectors sent to DM for cleaning and flow testing which turned out with great numbers.