2JZ NA-T into MK3

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Not much of an update. I am still cleaning. I took the head to get it checked out and the machine shop said it looked good as far as not being warped. :icon_bigg . I was concerned about this because the head bolts were on sooooo tight. I did order a Cometic MHG and ARPS today.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
OK, so I finally got a gasket set in and proceeded with taking off the oil pan and drilling the hole for the return line and also replacing the rear main seal. Does anybody know the best way to check the rotating assembly without taking apart anything. It all looks good so I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to. Here are some pics of what I did.

Attachments

• January 2007 257SM.JPG
    January 2007 257SM.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 143
  • January 2007 260SM.JPG
    January 2007 260SM.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 121
  • January 2007 262SM.JPG
    January 2007 262SM.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 136

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
The only way to really check it is to take it apart.

However, if your cylinder walls still have the cross hatch showing then you are most likely good. If you have any type of scoring on the cylinder walls then your engine probably experienced a low oil condition at some time and it is possible that you have some bearing damage.

Assuming that your cylinder walls dont show any significant wear, then I think you are AOK. If you really want to check everything then you will have to take the engine apart and pull out the pistons.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
OK, so I got the cometic MHG in and man it is a lot thicker then the stocker (thats what she said). Here are some pics. Does this look right. Let me know. Also any "need to knows" on how to correctly secure it with the ARP studs back on the motor.

Attachments

• January 2007 264SM.JPG
    January 2007 264SM.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 104
  • January 2007 265SM.JPG
    January 2007 265SM.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 111

MidShipCivic

Honda/Nissan/Mitsubishi
Sep 19, 2005
Orlando Florida
jmcboost said:
:3d_frown: I started to scrap off some of the block and noticed my tool was scratching up the block. This may not be good. Hope I can still use it without getting machine work done. What do you guys think. Also what is the best method to clean the block surface and the pistons?

If your finger nail can get caught in it, then you have a problem, I doubt it though.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Thanks for replying. HOTTSCEN what did you torque your arps down to, and did you use any lube or did you do them dry?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
OK, so I put the ARP head studs on, the head gasket and the head back on . I have not tightened the head down yet. Can you guys think of anything special I need to do before I tighten this head down. I cleaned the block deck and the head surface off again with carb cleaner and checked for any debris. I used the ARP moly lube but not too much (enough to cover the lower half of the threads) on the lower studs cuz I thought I may run out. I will put more on the top studs since there is plenty left. Is this OK? Thanks for the help. As you can tell I want to make sure this part is flawless.

Attachments

• January 2007 267SM.JPG
    January 2007 267SM.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 143
  • January 2007 270SM.JPG
    January 2007 270SM.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 105
  • January 2007 272SM.JPG
    January 2007 272SM.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 88

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
silent_sniper said:
so hows it going what more do you have done

I am still finishing up putting the head back together. I just need to get the cams in and buy a new timing belt and water pump. After that my plan is to purchase the bell housing, clutch and manifold setup. As soon as I get some more done I will take pics.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Update: I have purchase a few more parts like: motor brackets/mounts, 1JZ flywheel, and started fabing a FFIM. I should have some more pics soon.

For anybody that can help. What would be the best, stick with the stock 7M power steering pump or use the 2J power steering pump. Will the 2J work on the 7M rack? Let me know if anyone has done this.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jmcboost said:
Update: I have purchase a few more parts like: motor brackets/mounts, 1JZ flywheel, and started fabing a FFIM. I should have some more pics soon.

For anybody that can help. What would be the best, stick with the stock 7M power steering pump or use the 2J power steering pump. Will the 2J work on the 7M rack? Let me know if anyone has done this.

i wouldnt see why it wouldnt as long as the lines are there. from high pressure line from pump =>to rack =>to rack to cooler => cooler to resovoir => resovoir back to pump

reading over your question again, though, i think i answered the wrong question lol