2jz fse

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Anyone know where to find good info on one? Factory service manual? I kinda wanna get one and play with it but I need more info on the technical aspects of how it runs. It'd be cool to use a standalone or something. If keeping it running at 40:1 afr is too tricky for me then stock ecu.

It just sounds neat and I have some cars I could put it in. Sounds cool.

But yeah,

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Dylan JZ;1412776 said:
neat motors.. hope you end up getting to mess with one.

yeah me too. It wouldnt be for making power or anything. Just to learn more on direct inj. I've worked ont he mazda ones but I'm sure toyota is a little diff. Being a mechanic makes you nerd for this kind of stuff :)

Thanks for links everyone. No fsm? It's okay if it's in japanese.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ive wanted to tinker with one for awhile now. Just been waiting for them to become more available state side from the importers. Throw some turbos on it and make it a 2JZ-FSTE(FAST). Hope you get one.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
RazoE;1413767 said:
anyone know the specs on it?

Yeah they are slow like the regular one. But direct inj and F type head so no independent cam gears. I just wanna tune something that runs 40:1 afr.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
RazoE;1413767 said:
anyone know the specs on it?

Interesting read about the 2JZ-FSE, the direct-injection variant of our 2JZ-GE. Note the similar output at lower engine speeds and an increase in fuel efficiency of over 20%.

Above: 2JZ-GE head

Above: 2JZ-FSE head

A significant addition to the JZ family of engines is the 2JZ-FSE, a DOHC 24-valve 3.0-L unit, which is Toyota's second D4 direct-injection gasoline engine. As its designation indicates, it shares its lower half with the 2997cc 2JZ-GE unit with 86.0mm bore and stroke. The D4 upper half is unique to this engine, and represents the state of Toyota's direct-injection art. The 2JZ-FSE's power and torque outputs are the same as the port-injection 2JZ-GE's at 220 hp and 217 lb•ft, but at lower engine speeds of 5600rpm and 3600rpm, respectively. (The 2JZ-GE develops this figure at 5800rpm and 3800rpm, respectively.) The engine's compression ratio is a higher 11.3:1 vs. the port injection unit's 10.5:1.

The original D4 3S-FSE 2-liter I4 engine burns an ultra-lean mixture (as lean as a 50:1 air/fuel ratio) in a stratified-charge combustion zone. The new 2JZ-FSE does not take the lean-burn envelope that far, operating at an air/fuel ratio ranging from 20:1 to 40:1. In this zone, fuel is injected in the latter part of the engine's compression stroke by the new high-pressure slit-nozzle injector. Fuel mist forms a stable, combustible mixture (closer to the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio) stratum around the spark plug. The flame propagates to the ultra-lean mixtures around this stratum. The overall air/fuel ratio can be as lean as 40:1.

The new 2JZ-FSE's stratified charge combustion envelope has been extended to a higher vehicle speed range of about 120 km/h, adequately covering Japan's real-life highway cruising. Fuel economy, quoted at 27 mpg on Japan's urban 10/15 mode for the JDM Toyota Royal, is about 21% superior to the previous port-injection model. At high-load conditions such as rapid acceleration and high-speed running, the engine operates in the stoichiometric zone with fuel injected during the intake stroke. One of the two straight intake ports is fitted with a flow-control valve, its opening and closing improving cylinder filling and combustion efficiency. During low-speed, high-load operation, this valve is fully closed, with the air admitted through the single open port, accelerating flow speed and improving cylinder filling. The flow-control valve is fully opened during high-speed, high-load operation, introducing ample air. A transient "weak stratified charge" zone, with an air/fuel ratio of 18:1 through 25:1, ensures a smooth transition between ultra-lean stratified-charge operation and homogeneous-charge combustion. Fuel is "split-injected" partially during the intake stroke and the remainder during the compression stroke.

The first-generation D4 engine relies heavily on a powerful air-swirl motion generated by two different port shapes for each cylinder: a helical port with a small protrusion just before the intake valve opening and a straight port, the latter fitted with a swirl-control valve. During ultra-lean operation, this valve is closed, letting the air in from the helical port. Combined with the intricately shaped, asymmetrical deep-bowl piston, a combustible mixture strata is formed around the spark plug.

The new D4's ports are both straight, relying less on the air's swirl motion, and the piston's asymmetrical deep cavity is an elongated shape versus the original D4's heart-shaped cavity. The high-pressure plunger-type fuel injection pump is driven by the exhaust camshaft. It generates pressures between 1160 and 1890psi.

The new D4 employs a new "slit nozzle" injector. It has a single slit-like hole, an arched slit of only 0.16mm width. The slit nozzle injector fans out highly pressurized fuel spray, which forms a stable mist stratum around the spark plug without the aid of air turbulence. A cold-start injector feeds fuel into the plenum chamber to aid startability.

A single stage cogged belt drives the exhaust camshaft. The exhaust camshaft carries a vane-type VVT-i continuously variable intake valve timing device and drives the intake camshaft via a split and spring-loaded "scissors" geartrain. The VVT-i has a variable timing range of 40°. The camshaft acts on valves via shimless bucket tappets. The intake and exhaust valves are inclined at a narrow included angle of 22.6°, vs. the port-injected 2JZ-GE's 45°. Valve diameters are 33.5mm for intake and 28.0mm for exhaust vs. the 2JZ-GE's 33.5mm and 29.0mm, respectively. Lifts are 6.0mm for either engine type. The induction system employs a variable-length ACIS (acoustic control induction system) to exploit the incoming air's pulsation to obtain inertia charge effect.

(Edited from http://www.sae.org/automag/globalview_01-00/02.htm )

taken from: http://my.is/forums/f88/article-2jz-fse-proof-jz-block-isnt-going-126770/