2j sheetmetal intake build.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Hey guys, been building an intake for my 2j/Volvo swap and just about have it all done. Need to get the motor back in to finalize the t/b position, and then powdercoat it a satin black. Im using a 70mm BBK mustang throttle body, and Ill fit it with some Precison 1000cc injectors.

p1874809_1.jpg

p1874809_2.jpg

p1874809_3.jpg

p1874809_4.jpg

p1874809_5.jpg

p1874809_6.jpg

p1874809_7.jpg

p1874809_8.jpg

p1874809_9.jpg

p1874809_10.jpg

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I imagine you could use something like on a sbc roots blower manifold, or even use some china wastegates with a really big spring. I see tho that the burst panel breaks and needs replaced before you can drive again. Good idea, but so far my tunes havent put me in that sutuation. I do these intakes for the Volvo crowd and have about 40 similiar intakes out there with no troubles.

Something to think about tho.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Ive got a syncrowave 250 in my garage, so I am a bit spoiled, but you can do this intake with mostly hand tools. bandsaw (and router for port cleanliness) for flange with some holesaw and diegrinder work. I have a protools bender for the runners and tho i have a smithy for making the die for the stacks, I can sell them. I did use the smithy for the injector bungs, but with some good clamping and a drill press a guy could do the work on that too. Lots of diegrinding with a burr and sanding flappers for the runners and your done. I usually use a press brake to form the plenums, but had this tube kickin around I havent been able to use on any other intakes i do, so a little bandsaw work and welding I had the new plenum formed.

The hardest part for anyone I would think would be the fuel rail if going aftermarket. I bought that from RMR and milled it myself in the smithy, but I guess you can buy replacement rails for the 2j so thats a route anyone can go.

With all the fitting, figuring, trial and errors I have about 20 hours total into the finished product.

I picked up an Eastwood powder caoting kit so Ill PC it at home too.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Man, now if only someone did this sort of thing for 1j's... or any manifolds for 1j's for that matter. :rolleyes:

Not giving you any flack Nathan, your work looks nice for all the more time you have into it. Would love to see the Volvo in question if you happen to have any pictures of it...

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Ill post up some pics in a while, and maybe a dyno vid. I have one making 516whp, and was busy tuning when it layed down 568whp before we lost a cylinder sleeve, and hence the 2j now.

Ironically, I have a friend with a Bimmer and a 1j swap (525gte) and this winter we are doing an intake for him too.

rce311

Mar 13, 2012
charlotte nc
What are the chances of you fabbing something like that up for the 7m? Specifically, in a mkii? I know some folks who would really be intrested in something like that.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
rce311;1878518 said:
What are the chances of you fabbing something like that up for the 7m? Specifically, in a mkii? I know some folks who would really be intrested in something like that.

Its totally possible. I have built many a one off intake with just some dimensions from the engine bay. I usually draw something up then send it to the person for a trial fit to see if all the plenum dimesions work. 7m's are nice since the injectors are in the head. I do have a head here for mock up reasons too.

rce311

Mar 13, 2012
charlotte nc
Awesome! It would be great if someone would start making these. I know you can get them from thailand (very pricey) but if im gonna spend money on something like this, id rather spend it in the usa, for the little guy, making parts for our cars, cause no one else will.

Ill try to take some measurements. Would be amazing if this could be done withought the use of an alternator drop bracket.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nathan, did you design that coil pack cover yourself, or is that a Volvo part that just happened to be of similar dimensions?

Either way, gives me a funny idea...

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
It was all my idea. After I installed the gm coils, the stock one wouldn't fit, so I came up with a plan, and well, that's the result! I used 16g alum for the cover, made some stand offs for the bolt downs in a little lathe, jigged it all up, and I have a 2x2 cnc plasma table, so I cut the letters out, created some allthread from alum tig rod and was able to weld to the letter for the finish look, but bolt them down so the cover wouldn't warp.