2009 Nissan GT-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
That video is priceless...saw it the day it came out.

But wait...what was the Corvette ZR1 designed 'for'? Oh...everything. It is a very well rounded car, just like its younger brother the Z06(Z06 could use some help in the handling department though).

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the ZR1 was designed to just be FAST. and they did a damn good job at it... although i give a big thumbs up to nissan for the GTR... but i still dont see why they changed from the I6.... stay true to your roots!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ninja edit.

I like this vette more and more every time I read about it.

apparently i'm thinking like you guys, i forgot to hit "post" with my original words, and what I said sat long enough for all the vette posts to come up before it. lol... oh well.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Rennat;1197445 said:
Just because something is AWD doesnt make it godly in one section of motoring... watch this, has HP/TQ for BOTH the zr1 and the gtr... theres some suprising results, zr1 has more power, stops faster, handles more lateral g's, and is faster on the track...

zr1 > gtr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU

The nissan has been tested on all kinds of tracks and has been found to be very formidable this isnt a arguement whether or not there exists another car that is better in some areas.lets see a race against the zr1 with changing track conditions and pit stops, lets see which one uses the most fuel and has to stop more regulary, which one goes through more pads e.t.c
A quick lap here and there isnt raceing! if it was fuel consumption and reliabilty wouldnt come into play.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Ok...brakes...hmm...think about what the ZR1 has in that department.

Don't even get into reliability...sorry but the ZR1 looks to be more reliable at this moment...unless you plan on changing transmissions on your pit stops, don't endurance race against Corvettes...just look at Le Mans.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i think you'll find that the GTR would use just as much fuel... its a heavier car, and its AWD...

but your nitpicking this, the GTR isnt that great of a car, its called HYPE for a reason...
and the zr1 shouldnt have to change its pads, there a great design with PLENTY of rotor to disapate the heat away from the caliper and pads.

and i can still recall about a year or two ago when the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) was at laguna seca, and i can remember seeing the C6R whooping ass on just about everything except the top 5 or 6 prototype cars... LM1 i believe... and the corvettes were 2 classes lower. but they held their own just fine. so now that the vette has ben redone in the zr1 form, im sure its only gotten better.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
I have seen the rotors and calipers...all I can say is it defines HUGE as far as rotor size goes.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
The new corvette looks sweet, and would be one hell of ride.i actually prefer its looks over the gtr but Ive seen cars with more hp in the past with bigger brakes, less weight blah blah blah race against the previous model gtr's and get owned .In aus we used to have a race series at bathurst with over 650 hp cars that weighed next to nothing and the nissan still , even when crippled with extra weight penalties won race after race, and that was just the r32...
I seriously doubt this nissan would be any different in a real time race with changing conditions.

Mikek3

Sep 2, 2008
South Florida
plus you gotta remember that these gtr are mostly stock with bolt-ons you gotta give the aftermarket some time, im sure they will be turning up the boost soon and getting some serious power out of them, i wouldnt buy one but i still think its a very nice car built very well and i agree that toyota needs some new compitition for them(possibly a new supra!!)

MIKE

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Its funny that they had to find a car in another price range, with tons more torque and power to do a comparison..... :nono:

less than 80,000 retail compared to +100,000$, turbo charged V6 vs a supercharged V8? thats apples vs oranges isnt it?

In their next video do they compare a base line sentra to a cadillac cts?:sarcasm:

I think The GTR would be a better comparison to the Z06, and the ZR1 would be a better comparision to the GTR V Spec.

They are all very good performing cars from the factory. But if i had a $100,000 wouldnt buy the Chevy or the Nissan. The aesthetics of both are kinda blah.

Now if that LF-A hardtop or roadster was out and in the 100,000k territory :love:......

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LMAO@ this thread.... :biglaugh:

Stock it's a damn good car and does everything well.

Look up the performance figures for a stock Mk3 or even the fabled Mk4 and compare.

Sorry but can't think of too many Mk3 owners with the $ to buy a GTR so I don't see the point in bagging on the car, guess it's the same as people that put down the Veyron with the idea a modded Mk4 will be faster (operative term "modded" the Veyron and GTR perform like this off the showroom floor)

rayray

:)
Nov 12, 2007
Torrance, CA
it's a good car. would i buy it? no. it's a great car, don't get me wrong, i just prefer a minimalist approach when coming to true sports cars. not something anemic like a lotus, but the 2300lb 400hp TVR Sagaris with no abs and no trac :)

MrClean

Jul 10, 2008
Chicagoland
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1197517 said:
Its funny that they had to find a car in another price range, with tons more torque and power to do a comparison..... :nono:

less than 80,000 retail compared to +100,000$, turbo charged V6 vs a supercharged V8? thats apples vs oranges isnt it?

In their next video do they compare a base line sentra to a cadillac cts?:sarcasm:

I think The GTR would be a better comparison to the Z06, and the ZR1 would be a better comparision to the GTR V Spec.

They are all very good performing cars from the factory. But if i had a $100,000 wouldnt buy the Chevy or the Nissan. The aesthetics of both are kinda blah.

Now if that LF-A hardtop or roadster was out and in the 100,000k territory :love:......

EXACTLY...apples to oranges...i liked how you put that.

but on a side note.......
first of all, 03bamaGT, you are a fool. The GTR was meant to dominate at the circuit not in the 1/4.

second of all, Nissan SAID they put 480 horses under the hood, but the actuallity is there is something close to 560 under the hood....stock. The reason they said this is because of tougher car governing laws over in japan (you should see what they have to go through for emissions testing...ugly stuff) and for them to say "oh it has 560 under the hood" the japanese government wouldnt ever allow that things tires to touch public pavement.

:aigo:

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Well...the ZR1 dominates the quarter and the circuit...and for the longest time GT-R followers kept talking about 0-60 and quarter time and how it was the best thing ever.

My thoughts...Not worth the 90k it cost to get one right, 70k for the car and 20k for replacement trans. Z06 beats it on the street which is where most of us stay anyways, so why say "it is faster on the circuit" when most of us will never race on a "circuit? Just think the car is not well rounded, and is not worth the money.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
The zr1 in the video posted was killing the tyres on the track, tell me how it would beat a skyline on a track with normal corners both hairpin and sweepers.
Ive seen in the past vipers that were quick in a one lap but after a few the tyres start going off and they are slippery as ice, this zr1 would be the same and thats not even taking rain on the track into account.
Watch the video again on the track and tell me you dont agree.Tell me which car youd like to race in.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
What I would like to race in...ZR1 hands down. Cause I can drive it to the track and back home. Wouldn't know if I could drive the GT-R back or not.

If you watch the video...you will see that the GT-R is skirting that tires the whole time as well.

But if you want to talk about the track...why not talk about track. Since most of us will ever race on the track regularly and most of our races will take place on a highway or street. But here is track. Let Nissan enter Le Mans against the C6R and see what happens. That is track.

I mean seriously guys...straight line performance is what most of us use 90% of the time.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
MrClean;1198697 said:
EXACTLY...apples to oranges...i liked how you put that.

but on a side note.......
first of all, 03bamaGT, you are a fool. The GTR was meant to dominate at the circuit not in the 1/4.

second of all, Nissan SAID they put 480 horses under the hood, but the actuallity is there is something close to 560 under the hood....stock. The reason they said this is because of tougher car governing laws over in japan (you should see what they have to go through for emissions testing...ugly stuff) and for them to say "oh it has 560 under the hood" the japanese government wouldnt ever allow that things tires to touch public pavement.

:aigo:

Actual AWHP on the GT-R is around 406HP...when you do the math it turns out to be about 15% loss from 480...so unless the GT-R has 28% loss, I doubt it has 560HP at the crank.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1197517 said:

LOL @ the GTR being 80k. Everyone up here has sold for over 100k, some closer to the 130k range.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
There is a good chance...15% loss is usually used on RWD or FWD cars. Of course we know the GTR is AWD. It has the semi-auto transmission and 2 diffs. to put power through..
560hp seems a little on the high side to me but considering the above, its not that far fetched.

I like both cars but with the GTR having a base price of around $80,000, and the ZR1 having a base price of around $104,000 the GTR seems a little closer to something we could afford(although I can afford neither). Of course these prices have been inflated and there still is a waiting list to own a GTR (hence the price). So while you may laugh because GTR's are selling for way over MSRP, please show me where a ZR1 is selling for its MSRP.

.....................Zr1...........GTR
Weight............3324........3814
HP..................638..........480
Torque............600..........430
City Mpg..........14............16
Hwy Mpg..........20............21

For being so different, they are actually pretty similar performance wise. The ZR1 being 500 pounds lighter, having ~160 more hp and 170 more torque, and almost $30,000 more expensive than the GTR...I sure as hell hope it performs better than the GTR, albeit not by much.

Id drive either, but the GTR seems a little more practical for everyday living. It actually has a rear seat which is good for a lot of reasons. Id like to see a normal 6-speed version with a clutch pedal. Perhaps then people wouldn't have to worry about breaking transmissions and could actually bring it to the 1/4 mile. Tho please keep in mind the GTR wasn't built to run down a straight 1/4 stretch.

If I had $100,000 to get a car..I would get neither of these. Id go with a new BMW M5. Four doors, full backseat, every luxury amenity you can think of and a 500hp v10 sounds nice to me.

Also im not sure how long the ZR1 will be out since GM is about to kick the bucket unless the government gives them a handout for all their hard work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.