2008 Supra MKIII - Project 1BYDFALT

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Ok Fellas!!!!

We're making progress. This pic is a few days old. I took some more today.

IMG_2619_SMALL.jpg

The guy was telling about a new clear coat that's supposed to be anti-scratch, or it prevents small scratches from happening (especially on black cars :icon_conf ). He said it might be a bit more expensive, that he'll look into it. I didn't get a change to do research. Has anyone heard about this???

Last edited:

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I can't wait to see the car come out of paint. I'm doing the samething with the moulding but with black on top and red on the bottom. I thought i was the only one that liked this idea, lol. I guess not. Sweet build.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
^^^hahahaha...WOW. That's great!!! Dude, I had the same idea... It was either red or chrome and since I'm shooting for luxury, I went with chrome. Honest to god!!! Interesting to see how that happens. Can't wait to see how yours comes out. I think I photochopped it also, but is better when you see it real life.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Another awesome build thread! I've gotta subscribe to this, your making great progress. So your planning on twins eh? What are you planning on running GT25R? I looked through your thread but didn't see it mentioned anywhere.
Keep up the good work.

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
^^^^ true, I'm just so excited to see the car done, but I'll try to take it easy :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

As far as the under coating, I'll ask how much it would be to get it sprayed. You do the disassembling work.

The only reason I didn't have to pay, as I mentioned before, they owed me a favor. :naughty:

I need some people to owe me favors....

anyways that clear coat sounds interesting, would it be a plastic base then? more flexible or thicker. I am just speculating.

Waiting for the updates.

SacoMan

Nov 25, 2005
Spain
www.supraclub.es
Yes I know from a fellow supraclub.es that that anti scratch coat works very well, for smal scraches like the ones ou could do washing your car with something improper, you see a little scratch and the next day is gone.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
tig321 - Sorry, I must have missed posting the pics here. Initially I was going single and I have a turbonetics turbo you can see in the pictures, probably first or second page, but now that I'm going twinturbo, I'm thinking of going with something like this:

GT28R - Each turbo is good for 250-300hp.

NTGT2871R1_full.jpg

NTGT2871R5_full.jpg

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
nickel and dimed said:
I need some people to owe me favors....

anyways that clear coat sounds interesting, would it be a plastic base then? more flexible or thicker. I am just speculating.

Waiting for the updates.

I have no idea on that one. I've heard of invisible bras, but not this clear coat. I'll wait and see what the guy comes up with. I haven't had much time to research it.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
SacoMan said:
Yes I know from a fellow supraclub.es that that anti scratch coat works very well, for smal scraches like the ones ou could do washing your car with something improper, you see a little scratch and the next day is gone.

wow, if that's true, that's great. Black sucks in that sense. You have to be EXTRA EXTRA carefull. If you come across some info, please let me know. I haven't had time to research.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Yannis, thanks for the info. No, I have not looked at the compressor maps :nono: :icon_conf . I'm not that good at matching up turbos and such. That's why I stated in the begining that it would take quite a good amount of research and the help of some good people :biglaugh: LOL. I appreciate the help. Can you elaborate some more on those maps?? Also do you know how inefficient the stock CTs are compared to these?

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
Yannis, thanks for the info. No, I have not looked at the compressor maps :nono: :icon_conf . I'm not that good at matching up turbos and such. That's why I stated in the begining that it would take quite a good amount of research and the help of some good people :biglaugh: LOL. I appreciate the help. Can you elaborate some more on those maps?? Also do you know how inefficient the stock CTs are compared to these?
Well a pair of stock CT26s would be out of the question really, too big for the amount of air our 6pots produce. Now I'm far from what you call a "turbo's expert", the little relative knowledge I have, I gathered it in the forums from other helpfull members that actually have a clue and a bit about stuff like that (see IJ, DrJonez and so many others in this forum that have all the answers if you know how to put the questions!).
Soooo...let me elaborate then, and everyone please dig in to correct me in anything you believe or know that I'm mistaken.
Basically what you're looking for making the best match between your engine and turbo choice depends on the air flow that your engine produces. In our case we're talking about the 7mgte and with certain calculations (that people in the know have the capability of doing -- and I'm certainly not one of them...:biglaugh: ) you come up with a number between 35 and 40 lb/min, this corresponds to the air flow that a stock(ish) 7mgte produces. Obviously headwork etc would yield better numbers. Now since we're talking about a twin turbo set up we have to divide this value by two as each turbo will be using the air flow produced by three of the cylinders (parallel configuration) so we come up with a value between 17 to 20 lb/min for each turbo. This is the first basic factor, the second one being the pressure you intend and are capable of running the turbo of choice. You can see the pressure ratio value on the vertical axis of a compressor map, that number somehow corresponds to half it's value for actual turbo pressue (there's some other calculation that gives you that result but basically a "2" on the vertical axis equals to 1 bar roughly).
So if you have the above two values you can start checking compressor maps and see if the turbo's sweet spot (efficiency area) is within these values. These areas are the oval shaped pools you can see on a compressor map. We're aiming for the one in the centre, that's the most efficient area of the turbo.

So in the case of the GT2860R, based on its map below

p575406_1.gif

you can see that for a value of about 17 lb/min that the turbo will receive from the three cylinders it's efficiency area is within the circle I made. It would need about 1 to 1.1 bar to make the best of that area. The higher pressure you run beyond that point the less power and more warm air you produce.

On the T3-50 trim below

p575406_2.gif

you can run a bit more boost (maybe another 3-4psi) and still remain in that efficiency area thus producing some more power.

You do have to take all the above with a grain of salt though as i. maps are one thing but real life engine tuning and performance is another and ii. as I stated earlier I'm no expert and this is my conception on turbos that may well be all wrong.
Either way I hope my gibberish have helped a bit and not confused you even more.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Thanks for the info Yannis, it was helpful. Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed your post. Sorry. I also asked Doward, the forums turbo expert, to give a few words of knowledge on what types of turbo I should use given my requirements. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
So fellas!!!!

How are we all doing??? Long since I've posted here. Sorry about that. While I'm here, let me give an update on my build.

As with any build, there are always more unexpected expenses. So I had to buy a new rear bumper from TOYOTA since the stock one is a little waivy and the guys at the shop told me to replace it instead.

IMG_2976_SMALL.jpg

Also, I decided to go with the anti scratch clear coat. Is a few hundred bucks more, but should be worth it as black is really delicate. I have no idea where my car is right now...everytime I go to the shop, this is all I see...

:evil2: :evil2:
IMG_2962_SMALL.jpg

So the car is completely stripped, windshields and everything. We're waiting for the clear and paint that were ordered. They should be here next Wednesday.

Also, both, rear and front subframes are getting sandblasted and then powder coated, hopefully they'll be here by next Wednesday or so. Here are a few pics of the underbody as I forgot to take any shots before, so I took some now. The under body has not received the second coat yet and is really dusty. There was so much dust you can see it on the camare lenses.

IMG_2969_SMALL.jpg

IMG_2966_SMALL.jpg

IMG_2967_SMALL.jpg

I will post pics of the subframes once I go pick them up. They're gonna be HOT!!!!:evil2: :evil2: :evil2:

Last edited: